Diablo® III

Getting Skills but Can't Use them?

90 Undead Mage
TBT
As I level I'm gaining new active skills but it appears I can't seem to find or use the. They aren't listed on the skills panel and I cannot assign them to action keys.
Reply Quote
Beta forums

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3355035/
Reply Quote
You have to click one of your current active skills on the skill screen. It'll bring up a menu where you can change the skills.

In diablo 3 you can't access all your skills at once, you can only have a limited number of skills selected at once. Near the start of the game you may only use 2 skills, so if you want to use a new skill you unlock, you'll have to replace one of your old skills.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
TBT
You have to click one of your current active skills on the skill screen. It'll bring up a menu where you can change the skills.

In diablo 3 you can't access all your skills at once, you can only have a limited number of skills selected at once. Near the start of the game you may only use 2 skills, so if you want to use a new skill you unlock, you'll have to replace one of your old skills.

Thank you for the extremely helpful answer.

They really should explain that in game.
Reply Quote
I guess you didn't pay attention to stuff that is damn obvious are ya.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
TBT
Before you jump down my throat, I have never played the game before and yes, Blizzard expects to sell this game to people who haven't played the game before.

It's not "obvious" in any way as there is no tutorial. I am pointing that out here as beta testers are expected to provide feedback. If your only feedback is to flame, I suspect you're not providing anything of use here. Please go find another thread to troll.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
TBT

By the way, I did this and none of the 3 unlocked skills appears at all, either on the mouse buttons or the action buttons.

I assume it's a bug at this point.
Reply Quote
Beta Feedback?
Reply Quote
58 Troll Death Knight
09/27/2011 08:50 AMPosted by Mentoc
C'mon Blizz really? This guy got in?

thats actually their targeted audience. they want to know if the game is simple enough to understand so anyone can get into it pretty quick. you should know that they couldnt care less about ''im a wow expert'' or ''ive been playing diablo for 20 years'' and i should get a key...

anyway, to OP, hoping your having fun with the beta bro ;)
Edited by Jurkaleen on 9/27/2011 9:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You should post this in the beta feedback.

Also it's very good to get new player feedback.
Reply Quote
By the way, I did this and none of the 3 unlocked skills appears at all, either on the mouse buttons or the action buttons.

I assume it's a bug at this point.

I'm not in the beta so I can't really offer any more specific instructions. But you may be right it may very well be a bug of some sort, and if that's the case definately report it.

The last thing I can offer tho is a video of somebody else figureing out the skills himself. This is a video from day9 playing the d3 beta, a popular SC2 caster.

http://blip.tv/day9tv/diablo-3-beta-witch-doctor-gameplay-with-funny-commentary-by-day-9-p1-5572720

Go to 12:30 into the video. This is where he figures out how the skills work and changes his active skill, just check that you're trying to do the same thing, and if you are but it isn't working for you, report it as a bug.
Edited by Woofles on 9/27/2011 9:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
TBT
I'm fully aware that 'Blizzard Beta Law' states that anyone who is looking forward to, interested in, wanting really, really badly will NOT get into beta. It's obvious that he hasn't been following the game at all or that he's not watched any streams.

What interests me is, a quick look at the WoW profile of the question-asker shows that he is an accomplished end-game raider with current end-game gear and he's beaten all the raids several times. He's got over 12k in achievement points and they date back to the time of release..

Yet, despite all this, he is having trouble assigning skills to his bar?

Yes, that's exactly right because even though the game has announced through pop-ups the skills have been unlocked, they do not appear on any of the skill or action bar menus.

I appreciate all the feedback. I originally simply intended to ask others if they'd experienced the same thing which is why I didn't post it on the Feedback or Bug forum. At this point I am assuming its a bug.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
TBT
Ok, I get it.

You can unlock skills but you cannot use (train) them until you have reached a certain level. In my case, once I reached level 6 I can choose a new skill to learn and thus assign it to the action bar.
Reply Quote
hence the pad lock icon in active skills menu
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Once you have learned a skill (by reaching the level it unlocks) you can then assign it to a hotkey (L/RMB or 1-5 default). The way you do this is:
1. click the relative space on your hotbar of the skill you want to change (ie-1-5 or L/RMB) or hit 's' (by default);
this will bring up the active skill UI (large rectangular box with the 6 skill slots, first 2 will have your preassigned skills active in them, the other 4 will have a greyed out lock with a # on them (6,12,18,24 in desending order, assuming you try this before level 6 when the 3rd slot opens)
2. click on the active skill (one of the first 2 in this example) you want to switch out;
this will bring up a smaller box to the right of the skill UI with ALL of your skills listed in their categories with all the ones you have learned colored in and all the ones you have not learned greyed out with a # on them representing when they unlock
3. click the learned (colored) skill you want to replaced the active skill you clicked in step 2;
the skills should now be switched and the new skill should replace the old in whatever slot on your hotbar the old one was in.

Hope this clears it up and have fun.
Edited by Flamebunny on 9/27/2011 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]