Diablo® III

Could Auction House + Paypal be a 2nd job?

With the ability to sell your items for actual money through PayPal could this honestly be considered a second form of income? In that case do I need to fill add Diablo3 to my taxes next year? (I kid)

I want to hear peoples opinions on how much theyll put into finding awesome super rare items to sell at the auction house (for potentially hundreds of dollars/piece)
Reply Quote
Gear will either be common enough that it's worth next to nothing, or rare enough that it's impossible to rely on finding it regularly. You may get a couple of nice items in your career that you can sell for a reasonable chunk of change, but I don't think it will be a good 'second job' for anyone who's not running a sweatshop out of their basement or has a server farm running bots all day every day.

The biggest winners from the RMAH will be people who hijack the accounts of others and steal all their gear and blizz-ebucks.
Edited by Static on 9/27/2011 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
sounds like a boring !@# job to me
Reply Quote
Depends on a lot of things.

1. The price of the items
2. The rarity of said items (thus determining how hard it is / how long it would take to find said items).
3. The demand of said items (Also determined by the rarity of the items, this tells just how many people would be willing to buy the items).
Reply Quote
Its doubtful. If the profit people are making is high enough, then more and more people will attempt to use it as a job. This will increase the supply a ton, without increasing the demand meaning the prices will crash.
Edited by Servedogg on 9/27/2011 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think there was an official statement that if you make over $600 you will have to include it in your taxes.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Exactly. Prices and return over time will stabilize at the lowest sustainable level, so whether or not you can make a living wage in such a fluid system is DIRECTLY tied to the standard of living and exchange rates where you live. In other words only if you are willing to work for the same hourly return as the lowest sustainable population able and willing to do so.
Reply Quote
Im sorry I didnt mean for it to literally be a second job (pulling in thousands a year). It would be awesome to have it pay off some bills every month or so (hundred bucks or so a month)

Reply Quote
but I already live on minimum wage! <3
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 03:53 PMPosted by NickNitro
It would be awesome to have it pay off some bills every month or so (hundred bucks or so a month)
That would be awesome, but I think even that might be a little high. I guess it all comes down to how much time you put in on your character and how lucky you get.
Reply Quote
The extremely rare items dropping is all based on time spent playing and luck (having MF helps). Since the great items dropping is due to statistic, even if you invest a lot of time on the game nothing is guaranteed of dropping. And with the amount of people playing, the economy will be pretty stable so there won't be huge money to be made. Only way to make big money is for the first few month when the first of this or the first of that comes out, or when if you find something that is unbelievably rare with godly random traits. Even with this the chance of you finding it is pretty low. I saw a comic somewhere that went something like this:

Husband plays for insane amount of hours. Wife annoyed that he doesn't go out and find a appropriate "steady" job. Husband, One day finds "omg super rare" and sells it for 500$. Great now they can pay for half of this month's rent. But the husband, doesn't find anything significant for the next couple weeks. They are late for the monthly rent fee, downward spiral etc etc divorce etc etc

Anyway I'm sure you can make some money as long as there is a demand for that item, but make sure that this isn't going to be your primary source of income and that you don't invest too much time thinking about making a profit and just have fun.
Reply Quote
If you start making over a few hundred on paypal I'd make sure to put in on taxes lol.
Reply Quote
ha yea it would. I have a great job but it pays to just make ends meat atm. the thought of making some bucks on Diablo is a very awesome idea :D
Reply Quote
I wouldn't quite your day job...think about it to make min wage you would have to make at least 7.50 an hour in drops. There is no chance of that happening, I would be surprised if you could make $10 a day.
Reply Quote
Prices will do everything but crash... finding the best items in the game yes.. will be near impossible due to + Random Properties... you just took d2's drop rate and put a rather high exponent on top of it
Reply Quote

Anyway I'm sure you can make some money as long as there is a demand for that item, but make sure that this isn't going to be your primary source of income and that you don't invest too much time thinking about making a profit and just have fun.

You are exactly right. First and foremost Ill be having as much fun as humanly possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]