Diablo® III

Shields Vs Mojos

First and foremost I understand items are not complete but based on what you can see...

Uhkapian Serpent
Off-Hand
Witch Doctor Only
Legendary Mojo
+19-57 Precision
+19-57 Vitality
Regenerates 19.5-26.3 Life per Second
Health globes grant +8-9 Life
+1 Random Property
Durability: 35–45

Stormshield
Off-Hand
Legendary Shield
394–434 Armor
+7.0% Chance to Block
+7% Chance to Block
+25-27 Resistance to all elements
Attackers Take +21-23 Damage
+1 Random Property
Durability: 50–70

Now for these examples we can not really know what is better( and i don't care) but more so i am assuming Mojo's don't have armor, or chance to block.

So If their intention is to make you choose for more damage and mana specific properties with Mojo or more defense options with armor and block with shields what are your guys opinions on what you will use.
Edited by Vaaz on 9/28/2011 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Mojos all the way, for the flavor of it, and because I prefer using class-specific items as well.
Reply Quote
Well, normally, you will never be hit. So chance to block is not that useful. If you do so, you should use your panic button to get the hell out of there.

Also, if its "in case" you are getting hit, you should give it to a barb to tank for you :)
Reply Quote
I would prefer shield. Never in my character builds have i enjoyed a summon happy setup that requires my summons to absorb all damage. I prefer more spell oriented build, so i plan on taking a few hits. Also, for pvp, your going to get focused at one point or another so neglecting defense would be a huge mistake when it comes to arena matches.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I think if you're going the way of the "gain x% to weapon damage", then you'll opt for a 2-hander over dagger & mojo/shield, like this for example:

Wormwood

2-Hand
Legendary Staff
241.5 DPS
195 to 288 Damage
1.00 Attacks Per Second
Adds 121-251% more damage to Witch Doctors only
+76-82 Poison Resistance
Grants 10-22 Mana per critical hit (Witch Doctor Only)
Grants 3 Mana per hit (Witch Doctor Only)
+1 Random Property
Durability: 50–65
Reply Quote
I **DO** like that staff...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
if you want a build that doesn't include pets then you'll probably want a shield for hell/inferno
Reply Quote
Shields might be good in PvP vs. Barbs and Demon Hunters. But vs. PvP spell casters and Inferno PVE monsters, you will probably want a staff for max damage.

A shield is probably not going to help you much in taking hits from inferno monsters. From the movies I've seen, it looks like witch doctors have really low hit recovery. You will probably die in 1-2 hits without a shield, and 2-3 hits with a shield.

Inferno is probably going to be comparable to fighting in D2 against packs of extra-strong extra-fast Frenztaurs with Fanaticism aura the whole time. Try taking hits as a Necromancer against monsters of that difficulty using a Stormshield or a Homonculus, and you will die quickly either way. The smart move would be to put up Bone Prisons and summon Revives to tank for you; or in the case of the WD: Gargantuan and Wall of Zombies.
Reply Quote
Ill be doing HC so shields are looking extremely good. I Just want to know exactly how the Block mechanics will work
Reply Quote
At 60, the 400+ armor provided by the top tier shields is the equivalent of 3-4 pieces of gear. Block aside, all that armor is hard to pass up for the reduced chance to be hit. They also seem to be a nice source of vitality and defense, so there's a lot of synergy to be had.

I'd definitely take a shield over a mojo as a pet-less/PvP oriented WD. Still though, if the mojo offhands prove to have useful exclusive properties, I may find myself giving them serious consideration.

EDIT: I was mistaken - it looks like armor reduces physical damage rather than the chance to be hit.
Edited by Crustarr on 9/30/2011 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
At 60, the 400+ armor provided by the top tier shields is the equivalent of 3-4 pieces of gear. Block aside, all that armor is hard to pass up for the reduced chance to be hit. They also seem to be a nice source of vitality and defense, so there's a lot of synergy to be had.

I'd definitely take a shield over a mojo as a pet-less/PvP oriented WD. Still though, if the mojo offhands prove to have useful exclusive properties, I may find myself giving them serious consideration.

EDIT: I was mistaken - it looks like armor reduces physical damage rather than the chance to be hit.

Ya i'm sure the Mojo will have +% which Doctor damage and mana specific bonuses (mana on crit/on hit. But Chance to block, extra armor and more defensive properties are to good to pass up especially on your first run through and the harder difficulties and HC
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
I'm gonna test both but i do want to try a caster tank build. and give it a run in both pve and pvp arenas with the shield.

something like this with a shield maybe good.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#caUbhd!XfW!ZZaYab

i would have to get in the game to test it, but with the healing and average damage the build has. and the 70% damage gets split to my 4 dogs + if i drop under 50% hp (witch is not that low really) i take another 20% less damage ill only take 10% damage ?!?!

i mean it tells you x% of the damage you take will be cut down that much so if someone hits me with a +2000% damage hit it is only gonna be 10% of that total..

imo this build could ether be super tank (pvp in mind) or not but ATM it looks really tanky..
and based off youtube vids iv seen the dog health look like they scale with your gear.
so 4 dogs (passive talant) damage splitting they should live long enugh.

Plus i like the look of the shields iv seen in this game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]