Diablo® III

Locust Swarm

I have a question. Locust swarm is that skill that looks like a bunch of bees going from enemy to enemy (I'm assuming).

Why is it only 3 seconds? How many enemies can it possibly damage in 3 seconds? I know there is a 10 second version of it if you put the rune in, but I was hoping for at least a 6 second run with a damage rune of some sort.
Reply Quote
3 seconds does seem awfully short, however there is one big question that needs to be answered before we accuse it of being too short.

"Does it refresh when it jumps to another target?"

If it does refresh when it jumps to another target, then 3 seconds seems fair. Otherwise you would only have to cast it once as long as other enemies were near the afflicted enemy to become infected upon death.

If it does not refresh, then yes it is definitely too short of a spell because there is no way it could bounce to other targets and do any decent damage to them.

Personally, I believe that it refreshes upon jumping and the 3 second timer makes it so its not just a shoot once spell, requiring you to either kill targets extremely fast or have to refresh it yourself every once in a while.

Edit: For some reason I thought it only jumped on death, however after rereading it, it jumps whenever an enemy is near or so it seems. However, the other question that this brings up is, does it jump every time or is there an internal cool down on how often it can jump? just some food for thought
Edited by Bauldur on 10/3/2011 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh ya, if it refreshed, it would be great.
Reply Quote
After watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xinMgij5HEs

I conclude the following:

The initial cast of insects goes forward and "infects" everything in its area of effect with a swarm.

The swarm on each target will jump to another target after 3 seconds regardless if the enemy dies or not. Also, it looks like the swarm will jump if the target dies before the 3 seconds.

Each swarm will only jump to one target, the Indigo runestone gives it a chance to jump to two instead of one.

The swarms will not jump to a target that already has a swarm on it.

Obsidian runestone increasing the duration could act in a couple ways: The swarms will now wait 10 seconds to jump or the swarms will still jump every 3 seconds so remaining on each target for the full 10 seconds will give it 3 chances to jump.

EDIT: To clarify, the swarms will go 3 seconds and jump to a new target. It will then tick for another 3 seconds on the new target and jump again. So if we had 2 targets and one was infected by a swarm, it would jump back and forth between the targets. If both were infected, it would go 3 seconds and stop because of no eligible targets to jump to. We don't know if there is a max number of jumps per swarm.
Edited by JumpyMonkey on 10/3/2011 7:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok I got it now, I'm going with the alabaster rune to leave back a nice disease cloud on jumps.
Reply Quote
While i agree with your conclusions based off of the video, i still find issues with them.

Mainly the fact that the video is from 2008. So it is hard to say if the skill tool tip is still anything close to how the skill was back then.

Also, if it does still work the same way that you are describing, does the spell die off if there are no units within the area after the three seconds or just stay on the target indefinitely. I am assuming it dies off but it is an interesting thing to think about. Definitely a skill i would like to see with a more recent application.

Still kind of sad that it can no longer be used to buff your zombie dogs with a plague like in the original showing of it.
Reply Quote
While i agree with your conclusions based off of the video, i still find issues with them.

Mainly the fact that the video is from 2008. So it is hard to say if the skill tool tip is still anything close to how the skill was back then.

Yeah, nothing we see is final.

Also, if it does still work the same way that you are describing, does the spell die off if there are no units within the area after the three seconds or just stay on the target indefinitely. I am assuming it dies off but it is an interesting thing to think about. Definitely a skill i would like to see with a more recent application.

Yes, based on the video, the spell would die off after 3 seconds if there was only one enemy. Definitely intended to be an AoE spell, not really good for single target.

Still kind of sad that it can no longer be used to buff your zombie dogs with a plague like in the original showing of it.

It was a cool concept but didn't work out in the end. At least they rolled the ideas into the runestones - Crimson Burning Dogs and Obsidian Rabid Dogs.
Reply Quote
Yeah, it is definitely an AoE spell, although the obsidian rune does provide potential for it to be single target with the duration lasting so long. What would be nice to see is if the duration lasts 10 seconds but the locusts still jump while staying on the original target. That would be a substantial dps increase for the ability and possibly make it the best rune to use.

Why is it not 2012 yet...:(
Reply Quote
Hmmm... I'm thinking the 3 second version will actually do more damage overall than the 10 second version if you think about it. 3 seconds of damage and then it spreads. If so, then you can cast another swarm on the monsters close by who just had the swarm on them. Then they spread along with the previous swarm.

This off course makes a lot of assumptions though.

I think the 10 second version would be good as a fire and forget spell while you cast a spammable spell like Firebomb.
Edited by Cujo on 10/4/2011 3:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I took another look at the little footage we have seen of Locust Swarm so far, and I agree that it does look like it can spread at any time during its duration.

I'm wondering if Locust Swarm can re-apply itself to a target it's already affected once the initial effect has faded... The 10 sec duration rune would be nearly indispensable if that were true.
Reply Quote

actually i was gunna post about the video showing different stuff, all the spells were just changed to based on wep dmg, and even before that soul harvest hasnt done dmg (w.o a rune) in a long time, and is now on a 15 sec cd

not to mention other changes on other spells, also, the WD in that video was one shotting everything, and had all the spells, im guessing he outleveled the content
Edited by Honor on 10/4/2011 3:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Locust swarm and Haunt might be a pretty strong combo
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]