Diablo® III

How do i claim taxes I am 14 years old

1 Tauren Warrior
I can't work legally

wouldn't making money off the game make me a independent contractor of blizzard since i am making money off their game?

also I am not really 14.

Reply Quote
I can't work legally

wouldn't making money off the game make me a independent contractor of blizzard since i am making money off their game?

also I am not really 14.

Why can you not work legally?
Reply Quote
are you going to make over $9,350?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You don't have to be legally elligible to work to report income to the irs. Just because your 14 doesn't exclude you from reporting income. Wether it be from a grandma that gave you 20,000$ for christmas, or $20,000 from selling virtual goods on a video game. Income is income as far as the irs is concerned. Child labor laws are just that, to prevent you from working in an enviroment deemed not suitable by the governement. It doesn't make you exempt from filing taxes if you have a source of income other than work.
Edited by Wub on 10/5/2011 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
10/05/2011 12:01 PMPosted by mearei

God willing.

I can't work legally

also I am not really 14.

Pretty sure that even with a school work permit the youngest you can be to legally work is 15. In the US.
Reply Quote
minors reporting taxes *USUALLY* have to do so through a legal guardian if it's over $10k. They can still report legitimate income without working, essentially reporting it through anything but a W2. In this case, it would probably be as a return on investment.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
FoE
I can't work legally

also I am not really 14.

US laws require a minimum age of 15, and thats with many restrictions. Most jobs wont hire until 16.

Also, doesnt matter how much money a 14 yo would make with the rmah. If you earn any income at all, you are legally obligated to report it to the IRS. Will they come after you because you didnt report making $25 through a video game last year? Hiighly unlikely, doesnt change the legality of it though. This has been done to death in a different thread, look it up if you are so inclined.
Edited by Tastymanwich on 10/5/2011 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you don't have a contract with blizzard you aren't an contractor.
Reply Quote
Ah cmon kid you will only go to Juvy. Go for it.
Reply Quote

US laws require a minimum age of 15, and thats with many restrictions. Most jobs wont hire until 16.

Also, doesnt matter how much money a 14 yo would make with the rmah. If you earn any income at all, you are legally obligated to report it to the IRS. Will they come after you because you didnt report making $25 through a video game last year? Hiighly unlikely, doesnt change the legality of it though. This has been done to death in a different thread, look it up if you are so inclined.

Theres a minimum you have to make first. Roughly 10k, I dont foresee this kid making that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
First off, you have to make a certain amount a year before you claim.

Second, you claim taxes the same as everyone else if you do make more than the minimum amount. If you expect to do that well, spend $100 and hire an accountant.

Third, just because you are using a Blizzard product to make money doesn't affiliate you in any way with Blizzard, directly or indirectly. That is like saying I work for Microsoft just because I use Word and Excel to make money.

Fourth, even if age is a legal limitation to profiting from the RMAH they will have their butts covered by their own terms and conditions.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
what if i pay 14 year olds to play the game for me, lol.

Reply Quote
keep it and dont tell anybody thats what immigrants do and they make way more then you will
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
damn it never ceases to amaze me how many people are on this forum.

6 comments in like 5 minutes on a random subject.

amazing
Reply Quote
If your 14 and this game will be rated M/17+ w/e. how do you plan to be playing this game. its illegal to own this game so does this even matter.
Reply Quote
I mean in reality don't you have to be 18 to have a Paypal account (entering a contractual agreement), therefore either you're going to be attaching someone's Paypal account (either breach of contract or passing tax liability off to them) or you're going to be leaving it in the Blizzard store (which I'm not sure is considered a taxable income, more of a redemption of sorts).

I'm not sure this is a correct analysis by any means, just a theory.

Reply Quote
No one pointed out that if you are 14, you shouldn't be playing the game anyway. Pretty sure it is going to be rated "M"...

Good parenting for the win!

Beat to the punch...
Edited by Gwar on 10/5/2011 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
thats a recommendation for age not a legal thing

parents can say yes to you playing it
Reply Quote
10/05/2011 12:11 PMPosted by HippieKiller
If your 14 and this game will be rated M/17+ w/e. how do you plan to be playing this game. its illegal to own this game so does this even matter.

LOL

its illegal for him to own it? False kid. this is the united states not China.

you can own any game you want, if its a certain rating your parents have to be present when you purchase it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
10/05/2011 12:11 PMPosted by HippieKiller

lol no its not
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]