Diablo® III

How do i claim taxes I am 14 years old

10/05/2011 12:11 PMPosted by HippieKiller
If your 14 and this game will be rated M/17+ w/e. how do you plan to be playing this game. its illegal to own this game so does this even matter.

Incorrect, retailers are not allowed to sell you the game. There is a major difference.
Reply Quote
People are complicating this to high hell.

Money made off the RMAH, is no different than money made as a self employed contractor. Any money you make (over the non-taxable limit) is subject for taxation. Period. It doesn't matter how you got it, legally you have to claim it. Just because it exists in a video game world, doesn't make it subject to special treatment or exemptions. The only exemption you might receive, is being "underage" and I'm going to doubt as a 14 year old, you make over 10k a year. You'll be fine.
Reply Quote
I feel as if you still need to file a claim but under a certain amount you would not owe the IRS anything. I very well could be wrong but I feel like under 10k a year does not pay taxes but you are still required to claim so the IRS KNOWS that is what your making.

You cannot justify purchases of things if you dont claim an income, which is why drug dealers launder money.
Reply Quote
Anyway, I would not be surprised if they require a credit card to even participate in RMAH, regardless if you plan on cashing out with PayPal or not.

So the answer is that YOU, a 14 year old, will probably not be earning money, your parents will, or who ever's credit card you used.
Edited by Ham on 10/5/2011 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am 12 and what is this?

Sorry... felt appropriate.
Reply Quote
The IRS is not going to come after you if you dont report the money you make on the D3 RMAH...

I know you are going to get rich and make millions of dollars off of it like the rest of us, but I wouldn't worry about taxes.

That is assuming that Blizzard and Paypal don't report it on a 1099 MISC.

10/05/2011 12:15 PMPosted by Skyfire
Money made off the RMAH, is no different than money made as a self employed contractor. Any money you make (over the non-taxable limit) is subject for taxation. Period. It doesn't matter how you got it, legally you have to claim it. Just because it exists in a video game world, doesn't make it subject to special treatment or exemptions. The only exemption you might receive, is being "underage" and I'm going to doubt as a 14 year old, you make over 10k a year. You'll be fine.

This is assuming he is able to claim himself as independent. Chances are, if he is a minor, he is a dependent. The maximum standard deduction for a dependent is $5,700 because they don't get the $3,650 from their own exemption.
Reply Quote
Then you could write off the Diablo 3 game, computer upgrades, and Blizzcon tickets as business expenses.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 2:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
10/05/2011 12:21 PMPosted by Ham
So the answer is that YOU, a 14 year old, will probably not be earning money, your parents will, or who ever's credit card you used.

I had a bank account and worked as a cook at a pizza shop when I was 14.... and that was 10 years ago. Today it is less rare for kids to have bank accounts and credit/debit cards now.
Reply Quote
You wont make enough for it to be bothered. Plus you can deduct the cost of the game, and time played as "Labor", power bills to power the PC, ect.
Reply Quote
You won't be withdrawing and $$$ from the RMAH anyway so whats the worry?

Any money that goes into to a Blizz wallet is owned by Blizz and can only be spent on virtual blizz goods and/or game cards for online games. You wont be able to withdraw like an ATM.

When you sell an item on the RMAH, people will have to put money into their Blizz wallet to buy that item...again money that can not be taken out.
Reply Quote
10/05/2011 01:16 PMPosted by bubabeechuma
Then you could write off the Diablo 3 game, computer upgrades, and Blizzcon tickets as business expenses.

You don't get both the standard deduction and Schedule A itemized deductions. I somehow doubt that computer depreciation, a copy of D3, Blizzcon tickets, and even a percentage of power and internet bills will exceed 5700 bucks. If it does, expect an audit.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior

When you sell an item on the RMAH, people will have to put money into their Blizz wallet to buy that item...again money that can not be taken out.

I hope this is inaccurate for it defeats the purpose of a rmah imo.
Reply Quote
Nobody seemed to mention that using someones product to make money does not make you an independent contractor of that company. I.E. IT people generally use a large variety of software, they are an IC to their client, not the company that provided them the tools to make money with.

Reply Quote
Whatever happened to that right we had as citizens that we have the right to not self-incriminate ourselves? WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THAT RIGHT?!?!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]