Diablo® III

How do i claim taxes I am 14 years old

85 Undead Warlock
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html

Join the masses.
Reply Quote
Varries state by state, and in you're not in America hell knows what. (Thank you Wilson for this ammendment allowing you to tax the money I earn, even before I spend it. >.<) Political discussion fourm dat way ->

In the end if you make below a certain limit, the government will reimberse you all the taxes you pay anway. You probably can't reach that limit with a summer+winter job, and anything from D3.

Just ask your parents. I'm sure if they have any sense in them and care about their credit they'll block the AH the second you get the game. ;-D

IMO, stay in school so my taxes won't pay for you to sit at home trying to make money of D3 when you're 28 and collecting unemployment. College helps too.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Technically this wouldn't be considered income... you don't claim things you sold on ebay. You shouldn't claim earnings for D3
Reply Quote
10/05/2011 09:16 PMPosted by Kimikaro
Technically this wouldn't be considered income... you don't claim things you sold on ebay. You shouldn't claim earnings for D3

Interesting, like how money gained through a lawsuit can't be taxed right?
O wait, that's what the laywer is for. :-p (moar RL input)
Reply Quote
has anyone pointed out that at the end of the OP's post he put "also I am not really 14" ? lol.
Reply Quote
Don't worry, you will be 18 by the time this game actually releases.
Reply Quote
Ask H&R Block

Wrong, minimum age is 14 in the united states.
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/agerequirements.htm

And no, people will hire you if your 14, at supermarkets and fast food and pay around minimum wage. But what do you expect your 14?

There are plenty of kids that get hired at the age of 14. The only reason why people think 14 year olds wont be hired is because barely any of them in this day and age care enough to get a job at that age.

Also you can't work more than 5 hours in a row, and more than 20 hours a week :). A reason a lot of 14 year olds don't want to work. Its not fun just getting 5 hours a day.... I even believe you are required a 30 minute break in those 5 hours...thus only being paid for 4 and a half.

In the US if your required to take a 30 minute break due to the law, the company is required to pay you even for that break. It is illegal for a company to shorten your paycheck for a mandatory break that is required by law. This is common sense. Even in the real work environment in the United States, your company is required to give you a short break with pay. They dont simply cut off your paycheck because you took a break that was required by law.

And working for only 5 hours a day isnt the reason 14 year olds dont want to work. The reason is because they just dont want to work to begin with. Most kids wait until there 16 before they even begin working, simply because they either understand what responsibility is, or there parents force them to get a job. Most 14 year olds just dont want to work, that is the reality.
Edited by ACPRO on 10/5/2011 11:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You also cannot own a paypal account legally until your 18. So I do not believe you would be aloud to use the RMAH at all
Reply Quote
10/06/2011 01:03 AMPosted by Deviant
You also cannot own a paypal account legally until your 18. So I do not believe you would be aloud to use the RMAH at all

this

D3 is aiming for player above 15+

Have to be at least 18 to legally use paypal
Edited by Tagle on 10/6/2011 1:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Why can you not work legally?
US laws require a minimum age of 15, and thats with many restrictions. Most jobs wont hire until 16.

are you going to make over $9,350?

Also, doesnt matter how much money a 14 yo would make with the rmah. If you earn any income at all, you are legally obligated to report it to the IRS. Will they come after you because you didnt report making $25 through a video game last year? Hiighly unlikely, doesnt change the legality of it though. This has been done to death in a different thread, look it up if you are so inclined.

Please check facts before you make "factual" statements. The legal minimum age to work with a work permit is 14- not 15. That would be through an organized work enviroment. If a minor (age 10-11 or what ever age) goes out and offers service for pay on a private basis- they are not violating any labor laws. (Such as removing snow- mowing lawns).
Making money selling game items on an MMO is no different than one that would set up --say a coolaid stand. if they make enough that requires reporting to the IRS--they report it but there is no child labor law violations.
Reply Quote
go to college kid
Reply Quote
I can't work legally

wouldn't making money off the game make me a independent contractor of blizzard since i am making money off their game?

also I am not really 14.

No you would not be an independant contractor for blizzard. You will not be working for blizzard, you will be buying and selling items directly to other players using a service provided by blizzard.

No different then buying/selling on ebay or out of an auto trader.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
there are millions out there who work under the table jobs and make over 20-30k a year doing them and never report there taxes and have been doing it for decades. You wont get any tax returns and are technically unemployed so its kind of impossible to the IRS to figure out your making any money what so ever. If you working a normal job aswell ALSO very unlikely they will be knocking on your door. People seem to think the IRS is gonna be all over d3 and pounding down peoples doors after they mde 500 bucks last month on the game. Think of it as an under the table side job. Work you day job your in the system paying taxes. And think of this as mowing your neighbors lawn all of your neighbors lawns or plowing there driveways. IRS isnt going to bother you. People are paranoid.
Reply Quote
there are millions out there who work under the table jobs and make over 20-30k a year doing them and never report there taxes and have been doing it for decades. You wont get any tax returns and are technically unemployed so its kind of impossible to the IRS to figure out your making any money what so ever. If you working a normal job aswell ALSO very unlikely they will be knocking on your door. People seem to think the IRS is gonna be all over d3 and pounding down peoples doors after they mde 500 bucks last month on the game. Think of it as an under the table side job. Work you day job your in the system paying taxes. And think of this as mowing your neighbors lawn all of your neighbors lawns or plowing there driveways. IRS isnt going to bother you. People are paranoid.

Until you get audited.
Reply Quote
10/05/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Wub
You don't have to be legally elligible to work to report income to the irs. Just because your 14 doesn't exclude you from reporting income. Wether it be from a grandma that gave you 20,000$ for christmas

Thankfully, gifts are not considered income by the IRS. If Gradma gives you $20,000, or if Bill Gates gives you a billion, you owe nothing in tax. Bill Gates, however, would owe taxes on some of that since it would exceed his estate/death tax lifetime exemption amount from which everyone is exempt, which is currently $5 million.

You may gift $14,000 or less per individual per year to as many people as you like, and this amount will not be deducted from your $5 million exemption balance. You can still give someone a million bucks and not pay taxes, but that will mean your lifetime gift-tax exemption would drop from 5 million to $4,014,000, and of course there would be a lot of paperwork involved. If you die having never given anything else exceeding $14,000 in a year and your estate is more than $4,014,000, then the amount higher than that will be subject to tax.
Reply Quote
Sorry but you are wrong, you can give ONE non-taxable gift per year somewhere around 12k anything more taxes are required. and the only one not paying that tax is the family member you gave the gift. Every state I have been in also has a gift tax which is seperate from the federal taxes, most states its around 6%. If its larger than the max tax free gift the Feds call that unearned income.

It never ceases to amaze me the subjects that discussed in a game forum.
Reply Quote
I can't work legally

wouldn't making money off the game make me a independent contractor of blizzard since i am making money off their game?

also I am not really 14.

Why can you not work legally?

because he's an illegal alien.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]