Diablo® III

Item buffing: Order of % of and + to stats

So I've played diablo I, II, and will play III and one thing always bugged me. Say you have a weapon that gives % strength. Is there a base strength that gets multiplied by the % and added to your total STR, or does it take the % of face value?

If it is the former (which is the way I think it works) then I hope to see the base stat and the enhanced stat on my character screen. I feel that would give the player some insight when deciding on which weapon to choose.

In the same breath, what if the weapon gives plus 10% STR and +15 additional STR. What mathematical operation comes first? If i started out with 30 STR i could have 15+33= 48 or 45+4.5=49.5

Say an axe does 15-20 DMG and gives +6 damage +5% dmg and 10 STR. (thats what is says on the popup.) Does the 15-20 dmg include the +6 and +5% aleady? does the 10 STR affect the damage before the 5% does? Answers to these questions would deepen the understanding of how each item affects a toon and will help future fortune seekers sort out what to keep and what to sell.

-EDTAkiller
Edited by Conway on 9/26/2011 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I know how it works in world of warcraft. It is usually based off your based stats. For instance, the tier 12 set bonus for healers refunds 2% mana if you meet some clause. My origional understanding of this was wow I will get back minimum 2,000 mana based off my 100k mana pool. Sadly, I was mistaken. It is based off base mana which is significantly lower with no gear/buffs. Each tick of my heal was returning 234 mana. My assumption would be it similar from game to game but an assumption is all I can share.

W115 get there!
Reply Quote
what if the weapon gives plus 10% STR and +15 additional STR. What mathematical operation comes first?

BEDMAS
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 04:07 PMPosted by Conway
Is there a base strength that gets multiplied by the % and added to your total STR, or does it take the % of face value?

I am quite sure all bonuses will be applied to some "base" stats yes.
Ex. 50 base Strength, so +10% Strength would give +5 Strength.

In the same breath, what if the weapon gives plus 10% STR and +15 additional STR. What mathematical operation comes first?

Doesn't matter because they are both separately applied to the base Strength.

Say an axe does 15-20 DMG and gives +6 damage +5% dmg and 10 STR. (thats what is says on the popup.) Does the 15-20 dmg include the +6 and +5% aleady? does the 10 STR affect the damage before the 5% does?

The current system applies all +dmg, +%dmg (as well as +attacks/sec) to the weapons visible damage stats on tool-tip.

The 15-20 dmg already includes the +6 and +5% yes. The 10 Strength does not affect damage on the weapon, but +% damage on the character screen. The visible damge on the weapon can be the "base" damage. After that, all +dmg% from skills/strength/etc will be applied to this base weapon damage. This is the most likely scenario anyway. That's how it was in Diablo 2 I think.
Reply Quote
Oh I see so the "+ to stat" operation does not affect the base stat which the % is based off of.

Got it!

-Comb yo Beard
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]