Diablo® III

Demon Hunter and Hatred Generation

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#.

So, the way that I understand it is that Hatred will still replenish all by itself, but now when you run out or low on hatred, you can replenish it even faster by using Hatred generating abilities.
What I don't like about this is that I don't think it will feel like a unique resource. It plays exactly like arcane power in my mind. Spend big abilities until resource is low, then use little abilities to get it back up. (only difference is that generating abilities make hatred regenerate faster, while the wizard arcane power simply does regenerate faster, you could just increase the regen rate of hatred and make generators cost 0 hatred and have the same play result)

Do we know if hatred is generated on cast? or if it is generated on hit? (from generator abilities)
-How do you think that hatred generating abilities should proc?

If it replenishes on hit, then what happens when you hit more than one target?
-Should hitting multiple targets with an ability generate hatred that many times faster?
-Should hitting barrels and other destructibles generate hatred?

This is how I think that it should work:
-Constant Hatred generation should be disabled while enemies are within X yards, and reinstated when there are no enemies near by.
-While in combat, it should act like fury only fluctuating down and up at a more dramatic rate. Hatred spenders should cost large amounts of hatred, while hatred generators should be free to proc on several enemies and refill the majority of your hatred hemisphere fairly quickly.

This system to me would compliment the Demon hunter play style very well. It allows them to start any combat off with powerful abilities (much like a wizard), but then quickly switches focus into a battle between going "all-in" (with spenders) and kiting (with generators), but if you are too actively running away (while kiting) you won't generate enough (or as much as in the "current" version) hatred because automatic hatred generation is turned off in combat.

Thoughts etc.?
PS. I know that the DH resource system is currently being redone, and there is a lot we don't know about it, but that doesn't have to keep us from discussion.

tl;dr version: DH passive hatred regen should be turned off in combat, making players rely on hatred generators.
Reply Quote
I don't agree with the hatred regen turning off. Keeping the natural regeneration is what makes it different than spirit and fury, along with having discipline of course. Arcane Power and Hatred is now very similar but AP regenerates a lot faster and demon hunter relies on discipline for defensive abilities while wizard relies on cooldowns. I think it is different enough and I am happy with the changes.

Most of the Hatred Spenders do cost a lot of hatred, 30-60 out of 100. The only lower hatred costing ones are Elemental Arrow, Chakram, and Fan of Knives (which has a 10 sec cooldown now) I see no problem with those at their cost.
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 04:45 PMPosted by JumpyMonkey
I don't agree with the hatred regen turning off. Keeping the natural regeneration is what makes it different than spirit and fury,

It would still be quite different from spirit/fury, because it is going to be full going into any fight.

along with having discipline of course. Arcane Power and Hatred is now very similar but AP regenerates a lot faster and demon hunter relies on discipline for defensive abilities while wizard relies on cooldowns. I think it is different enough and I am happy with the changes.

I am also happy with the current changes (what we have seen of them), I'm just brain storming if it could be done differently, perhaps better.
Most of the Hatred Spenders do cost a lot of hatred, 30-60 out of 100. The only lower hatred costing ones are Elemental Arrow, Chakram, and Fan of Knives (which has a 10 sec cooldown now) I see no problem with those at their cost.

I guess part of the problem I'm seeing is that the demon hunter has TWO very common methods of replenishing its hatred (through generators, and passively) that are both working at the same time. And the system (in my mind) would overly encourage very cautious play style (you don't even need to attack, you can run to your hearts content and turn around when it is most convenient). A character that can be played so safely, would balance wise need to be less powerful than the other characters (if it were equally powerful, and super safe). I think that the DH needs to be "more in your face", risk oriented. One way to make the class less safe is to make the player stand their ground more often instead of relying on passive regain and running away.
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 05:20 PMPosted by Monty
I guess part of the problem I'm seeing is that the demon hunter has TWO very common methods of replenishing its hatred (through generators, and passively) that are both working at the same time. And the system (in my mind) would overly encourage very cautious play style (you don't even need to attack, you can run to your hearts content and turn around when it is most convenient). A character that can be played so safely, would balance wise need to be less powerful than the other characters (if it were equally powerful, and super safe). I think that the DH needs to be "more in your face", risk oriented. One way to make the class less safe is to make the player stand their ground more often instead of relying on passive regain and running away.

Hatred regeneration is going to be really low with the change (4-5 per second most likely) and having generators does actually encourage you to keep attacking and stay in the fight. Demon Hunter is a ranged class, they are suppose to "kite" and stay out of danger because they have no other defenses. That is how you play the class, you only have active skills (discipline) to stay alive, they are not suppose to be in the middle of enemies like monk or barbarian. Your system would actually encourage running away more so because the demon hunter would want to get away from enemies to recover their hatred.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]