Diablo® III

Solution: Create a PVP server

They should invest their resources in such an effort due to the fact that there is a HUGE demand for it by their customers and followers... Again, if you didn't/don't like PvP then you could care less, but for the thousands upon thousands that do, a little 2 x 4 arena just won't cut it.

Just because you think there's a huge demand for it doesn't mean there is. Consider how many people will likely play this game. Then consider how many of them even know about the forums. Of those that know, think of those that read. And of those that read, think of those that post.

See how the number of potential voices there gets trimmed down quite a bit?

It is a common occurrence to observe groups of people with a strong viewpoint circle-jerking and getting whipped up into a frenzy because they're primarily interacting with others who feel the same way. Unfortunately this in no way is an accurate representation of Diablo 3's player base on the whole and you're only fooling yourself by perpetuating the idea.

With the option to make private games in Diablo 2, it didn't matter if someone could hostile you and come hunting. This is because if you didn't want to expose yourself to that, you didn't have to. This made PvP (or potential PvP) an opt-in scenario.

That's exactly what will be happening in Diablo 3, albeit with a designated game area instead of just outside of town. You'll have to deliberately put yourself in the PvP situation, just like in Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
Honestly I think that if they put a pvp system into the game, similar to the one in D2, everyone will just meet up outside of new tristram like they did outside of the rogue encampment. It makes an open world pvp pretty much pointless as 99% of the fights will happen there.

Considering that arena pvp can have more than 4 players at a time, I think most people would still pvp in the arena instead of chillin out side of tristram.
Reply Quote
58 Troll Death Knight
09/27/2011 05:59 AMPosted by Nsanity
Even TMNT on NES was a coop game... although it might have been funny to see Leonardo slice Donatello for boredom sakes...

yeah, thats why they would put a VS game mode... not enabling bashing others in the coop game...

but that reminds me of games where you could ''accidentally'' hurt your teammates (friendly-fire) and they all were garbage. you dont see anymore of those, any clue why ? cause it stinks!! rips the fun out of an HACK'N'SLASH game...NOT AN MMO!! HACK'N'SLASH!!

/edit. imad ? yes
Edited by Jurkaleen on 9/27/2011 6:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
anyone who does not want hostility in d3 is not a TRUE diablo fan is and was a huge part of the game it supposed to be a savage and brutal game i didnt always like it but it was a big part of the game and it will not feel the same
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:17 AMPosted by Jurkaleen
but that reminds me of games where you could ''accidentally'' hurt your teammates (friendly-fire)

Diablo 1 and Diablo: Hellfire had both friendly fire on... Always fun trying to play with a friend in LAN and shooting arrows in his butt because the aim was limited somewhat... Oh well.

09/27/2011 06:17 AMPosted by Révéñgé
anyone who does not want hostility in d3 is not a TRUE diablo fan

That's why there's Arenas. And insulting people is NOT a way of getting what you want. Only a way to have those feeling insulted be even more against your ideas... Just saying.
Edited by Nsanity on 9/27/2011 6:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:11 AMPosted by Zosimas
The better solution is just to have a mutually agreed upon hostility option. Player A clicks a button to announce hostile intentions to player B. Player B then has the prompt that allows them to accept or reject the hostility. If player B accepts, both players become hostile to eachother. If they reject, neither player is hostile. Perhaps adding in a restriction that both players have to be in town to do this.

This is a very good system, and I would not have any problem with such a system. But at the same time I have to ask, is it necessary? If you want to PVP, join the arena queue, if you want to quest with fellow adventurers, create a public game. Do you really need PVP in the dungeons? The only possible reason people would have for wanting to PVP in the "world" is to gank lowbies. If you want to PVP for the competitive challenge, what is so wrong with battling in an actual arena?
Reply Quote
Good thing I edited my post, lol.

I much prefer expanding the idea of the Arena. It's more practical in every way. Give more options in terms of size of Arena, monsters, shrines etc. etc. That would again be the perfect solution...
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
AEC
Blizzard has decided to have two separate modes, Campaign mode and Arena (PVP) mode. Just like some other games like Halo, CoD, SC2, etc.

Games do this to bring structure and balance.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:20 AMPosted by Achilles
The better solution is just to have a mutually agreed upon hostility option. Player A clicks a button to announce hostile intentions to player B. Player B then has the prompt that allows them to accept or reject the hostility. If player B accepts, both players become hostile to eachother. If they reject, neither player is hostile. Perhaps adding in a restriction that both players have to be in town to do this.

This is a very good system, and I would not have any problem with such a system. But at the same time I have to ask, is it necessary? If you want to PVP, join the arena queue, if you want to quest with fellow adventurers, create a public game. Do you really need PVP in the dungeons? The only possible reason people would have for wanting to PVP in the "world" is to gank lowbies. If you want to PVP for the competitive challenge, what is so wrong with battling in an actual arena?

It's not ABO*%%#ELY necessary, but first it would take almost no time to implement, and secondly it would be a very nice addition to the game.

Imagine that you are playing with your friend, then you drop a freaking good item, and then say "HA! With this item there is no chance you can beat me!". Will you really both leave the game you are in and create an arena game? No, that would be dumb because yo would need to start the dungeon over again.
Reply Quote
Good thing I edited my post, lol.

I much prefer expanding the idea of the Arena. It's more practical in every way. Give more options in terms of size of Arena, monsters, shrines etc. etc. That would again be the perfect solution...

Something to note, there will be limited to no PVP in the first 3-4 weeks of the game's release. As of right now, the arena system sounds like it should be more than enough for the game's release, and I personally do not want to devs spending time programming features that will not even be needed when the game is released.

Having said that, I totally agree that a kick !@# arena with different options would be totally sweet. Imagine battling with a friend in a 2V2 skirmish, only to have zombies or other beasts released into the fray. The arena does have a lot of potential, and I absolutely plan on getting a lot of use out of it.
Reply Quote
58 Troll Death Knight
.. it will not feel the same

100% agree with that part, it will not feel the same at all and i think thats THE WHOLE POINT!!

09/27/2011 06:27 AMPosted by Achilles
The arena does have a lot of potential, and I absolutely plan on getting a lot of use out of it.

gave me a really nice idea they could exploit. Survival Arena, Left4Dead style :) Endless enemies including bosses here and there coming from everywhere then you nuke em braaaah braaaah lol could be fun and very challenging
Edited by Jurkaleen on 9/27/2011 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:27 AMPosted by Obliterator
Imagine that you are playing with your friend, then you drop a freaking good item, and then say "HA! With this item there is no chance you can beat me!". Will you really both leave the game you are in and create an arena game? No, that would be dumb because yo would need to start the dungeon over again.

In before "THIS IS NOT WOW" but ............

how about a "duel" option like in wow? That would actually take very little programming to do, and achieve what all the world pk'ers want. Just a thought....
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I don't know why all this anger for or against PVP PK PKK and what not.

When you create a character, you get the option of whether you want him in pvp or pve server.

I mean there is obviously demand for it and there is obviously people that don't enjoy it, so why not give both what they want. I guaranty you that the pvp server will be just as full as the pve servers, if not more!

Whoever hates pvp, There is absolutly ZERO reason you can come up with against such a concept. If you do not wish to get hostiled or fight in such dangerous enviroment, then pve is your servers.

I believe that the reason there is no pvp in Diablo is because they have pushed away all the original diablo creators out of the company and they were probably the ones that believed in it as a core. Thus you have all this new talent working on a game with other intentions in mind.

Again, I agree with you.
And the truth is most of the people here who are trying to marginalize or trivialize pvpers are wrong. The Vast majority of remaining diablo2ers PVP. The people who traded and MF'd largely did so they could get gear for dueling. The community by and large had SOME ability(They didn't have to, the game isn't MEANT to specfically be PVP) but the way the game progressed it naturally evolved. Mith's post of diablo's end game clearly exemplified this- You either farm more items so that you can farm items faster, so that you can farm itemsfaster.... you see where this is going... or you pvp.|

The concerns of people who are against PVP are usually irrelevant, exaggerated, or flat out fabricated.

09/27/2011 06:12 AMPosted by Boris
They should invest their resources in such an effort due to the fact that there is a HUGE demand for it by their customers and followers... Again, if you didn't/don't like PvP then you could care less, but for the thousands upon thousands that do, a little 2 x 4 arena just won't cut it.

Just because you think there's a huge demand for it doesn't mean there is. Consider how many people will likely play this game. Then consider how many of them even know about the forums. Of those that know, think of those that read. And of those that read, think of those that post.

See how the number of potential voices there gets trimmed down quite a bit?

It is a common occurrence to observe groups of people with a strong viewpoint circle-jerking and getting whipped up into a frenzy because they're primarily interacting with others who feel the same way. Unfortunately this in no way is an accurate representation of Diablo 3's player base on the whole and you're only fooling yourself by perpetuating the idea.

With the option to make private games in Diablo 2, it didn't matter if someone could hostile you and come hunting. This is because if you didn't want to expose yourself to that, you didn't have to. This made PvP (or potential PvP) an opt-in scenario.

That's exactly what will be happening in Diablo 3, albeit with a designated game area instead of just outside of town. You'll have to deliberately put yourself in the PvP situation, just like in Diablo 2.

And yes, I think your post regarding circlejerking actually applies to you. I can easily go to D2jsp, which is like 50xtimes larger than this board, and get a whole bunch of people to state their preferences when it comes to diablo. This forum is incredibly biased, partly because its filled with WoW players. You think you have the majority, I can tell you with confidence you don't. Even d2jsp and all the other trading forums don't constitute a majority(well maybe they do by now with players quitting and EVERYONE using d2jsp now...) You may be right that its hard to quantify and qualify who wants what, but there are certainly ways of indicating who wants what.

And even if the majority wants X, there is no reason why Y can't be implemented when Z wants it if it doesn't affect X.
Edited by Binned on 9/27/2011 6:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't know why all this anger for or against PVP PK PKK and what not.

When you create a character, you get the option of whether you want him in pvp or pve server.

I mean there is obviously demand for it and there is obviously people that don't enjoy it, so why not give both what they want. I guaranty you that the pvp server will be just as full as the pve servers, if not more!

Whoever hates pvp, There is absolutly ZERO reason you can come up with against such a concept. If you do not wish to get hostiled or fight in such dangerous enviroment, then pve is your servers.

I believe that the reason there is no pvp in Diablo is because they have pushed away all the original diablo creators out of the company and they were probably the ones that believed in it as a core. Thus you have all this new talent working on a game with other intentions in mind.

i like the system the way it is now. here is a reason against your plan.
the shared stash will not be from pve and pvp servers so if you start out not wanting pvp you would be far far less likely to start over just to try the pvp stuff.
also with the skills many have different cooldowns and such in pvp so their would be no way to have those take effect.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:06 AMPosted by Nsanity
There's so many options that can happen with arenas that I'm not even sure why you people complain before the game is even released and we know what's up with the arenas exactly...

Honestly I think that if they put a pvp system into the game, similar to the one in D2, everyone will just meet up outside of new tristram like they did outside of the rogue encampment. It makes an open world pvp pretty much pointless as 99% of the fights will happen there.

Considering that arena pvp can have more than 4 players at a time, I think most people would still pvp in the arena instead of chillin out side of tristram.

The arena does have a lot of potential, and I absolutely plan on getting a lot of use out of it.

09/27/2011 06:20 AMPosted by Aaron

If you want to PVP for the competitive challenge, what is so wrong with battling in an actual arena?

All those quotes... of people agreeing that arenas are a very good solution for PvP and that it has a LOT of potential.
Reply Quote
96 Human Paladin

I don't see why there couldn't be both. Arena is strictly for teams. The option I proposed would allow 1v1, FFA, etc. Which a lot of people enjoy.

I know one of the reasons Blizzard wants a dedicated PvP arena is so they can separately tweet skills so they can change the balance in PvP without affecting PvE, and vise versa. So, in a way, it makes sense to have only the arena. But perhaps the hostility option also swaps your skills to PvP and you are no longer able to attack monsters so the skill balance changes can't become OP to PvE or whatever. A little convoluted and confusing, I know. But I think it's a worth a try.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 05:58 AMPosted by Philippe
Diablo isn't Diablo without World PvP.

by all means refrain from purchasing the game please.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
There's so many options that can happen with arenas that I'm not even sure why you people complain before the game is even released and we know what's up with the arenas exactly...

09/27/2011 06:20 AMPosted by Aaron

If you want to PVP for the competitive challenge, what is so wrong with battling in an actual arena?

All those quotes... of people agreeing that arenas are a very good solution for PvP and that it has a LOT of potential.

Yea.. alot of people on this forum, which is very small compared to the actual independent d2 boards, agree that arena is a good thing. Oh look, its also populated by WoW players, hm, no bias there. Arena may be a cool idea, but simply because its a cool thing doesn't mean it should be the only form of pvp available.

09/27/2011 06:39 AMPosted by Bloggins
Diablo isn't Diablo without World PvP.

by all means refrain from purchasing the game please.

If you are who your name says you are, you still at 100kfg from all the "MFING" you'd been doing for years?
Edited by Binned on 9/27/2011 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
From someone who plays games just for the multiplayer pvp aspects of it.

From someone who has played diablo since release.

Diablo is not a pvp game, i think it's one of the dumbest concepts of pvp that have ever been thought of and listed as something with "pvp content"

You have arena, you don't have ganking. Be happy there just isn't pvp at all. And yes, most of the people want to justify ganking as a form of pvp but that's just you being a chin beard troll.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:39 AMPosted by Binned
Yea.. alot of people on this forum, which is very small compared to the actual independent d2 boards, agree that arena is a good thing. Oh look, its also populated by WoW players, hm, no bias there. Arena may be a cool idea, but simply because its a cool thing doesn't mean it should be the only form of pvp available.

There aren't different forms of PVP. There is only 1 form, slay the other character. Why do you need to do this in the dungeon? What's wrong with simply doing this action in an arena?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]