Diablo® III

Phishing Emails from Blizzard

This is in the tech forums.., I believe it should also go in general since more people post here, and also there seem to be a lot of threads created about it... I made a post asking for it to be copied here, but who knows if it was even seen or not... So here we go.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123364781

As the Beta-testing period draws ever nearer, so too do the nefarious machinations of those who would like to separate you from your account and use it for their own ill-gotten gains. With the excitement reaching a fevered pitch, even those who normally would be more cautious before responding to a phishing email may drop their guard. This is exactly what account thieves are depending on.

To that end we'd like to remind you anew of the need to be cautious before responding to emails purporting to come from Blizzard Entertainment and provide some resources for you to educate and protect yourself.

BLIZZARD WILL NEVER, NEVER, EVER ASK YOU TO REVEAL YOUR PASSWORD.

Even emails that contain @blizzard.com or @battle.net in the "From" address may be fraudlent, as it is quite easy for phishers to spoof email headers to make it appear as if the email is originating from us. Luckily, there are ways for you to unmask their underhanded tricks:

How to Spot Fraudulent (Phishing) Emails
<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=25133">http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=25133</a>

In general, any email you get that is offering you a beta key is almost certainly a fake. Some telltale signs of fraud are:
- Poor spelling, grammar, and/or syntax
- Requests for you to submit your account information
- Someone messaging you in any Blizzard game claiming to be an employee
The absolute sure-fire way to tell if you have been selected for the beta is to log on to your Battle.net account by manually typing https://us.battle.net/account/management/ into your web browser's address bar. If you were selected, then a Diablo 3 beta license will be automatically added to your account and you will see it listed there. You will not need to do anything other than download the game client.
The only exception to this rule is if you received a beta key from a legitimate promotion (game store, contest, etc.) and you physically have the code with you. To claim this code, enter it at https://us.battle.net/account/management/add-game.html
If you have any questions about the legitimacy of any email you receive, please feel free to post here in the Tech Support forums for analysis.
Edited by Tony on 9/27/2011 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lol, I just copied it word for word since it was a direct quote from a blizzard employee. I didn't want to be accused of trying to impersonate one or some other bologna. I also know its technically against forum rules to post in multiple forums, but when there's all these posts about phishing emails, and a solution in the tech forums people are probably just not seeing... I figured I'd try to help and take my chances.
Reply Quote
TL:DR Don't believe anything you read on the internet, Unless it's under your actual account settings on blizzards offical website. aka type it in yourself. don't click links.

^ Exact same phase since the creation of knowledge

Heck a fact of life.....

If my new car is broke... i take it to the dealership i purchased it at and have them show me what is wrong.

If my tooth is damaged, i go to the dentist and find out how it's damaged.

If something has happened to a bank account, forum account, game account, i go to that website to see what's different/changed/action that's been taken.

It doesn't matter how much common sense you drill into people. They will still ignore it and screw up.
Reply Quote
Just as the post office sorts through junk mail, you must too.

I don't know why Blizzard has such a hard time delivering their no password message though.
Reply Quote
because in general, people don't like to read stuff, or take precautions they should, or drive while sober... etc etc... There are so many preventable things we COULD do but choose not to, its ridiculous.

Another thing to consider is the audience. Its easier to dupe someone who is not familiar with how things work like the elderly, or manipulate your way around a 12 year old using their parents account.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Wait, so the ignorant people who actually fall for this are going to take the time to 1) identify themselves as susceptible to phishing, 2) read this post, 3) believe that this really does apply to them, 4) not forget all of this and just click the next link in their phishing email?

Not sure who's more in the clouds, the OP or the ppl falling for these scams. At least your heart is in the right place.
Reply Quote
I can be optimistic sometimes... I've just seen several posts asking about phishing emails, and wanted to at least try and help these people out.

Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]