Diablo® III

Swapping skills in town

2 Goblin Warrior
So as to not hijack the thread in which the following quote was posted, figured i'd make a new one.

Quoted from Bashiok:

We have no idea how the unattuned system is going to work. Or if it'll end up working at all. We're trying out some different options, but we're not likely to reveal much until we're more certain. Maybe it'll be something we feel comfortable discussing at BlizzCon? ... maybe not.

On a slightly related (?) note we're playing around with having skill swapping locked to being in-town only. We're definitely not sold on it, but it could appear at some time in a beta patch, so FYI. Just be aware it's only something we're trying, and not a permanent solution.

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3278808594?page=6#111

I really think that swapping skills in town only will not fix the problem that folks in the beta seem to be hinting on. The only thing swapping skills in town will do is make people use their stone of recall, or find a waypoint in order to jump in town, change the skills around, then go back out into the wolrd to keep killing stuff.

I really think that will lead people to leave the action but instead of selling loot, it will be for changing skills around.

In my opinion, it was fine the way it was before, since I was under the assumtions that runes would make changing skills on the fly useless, especially once the higher level runes were placed in the skills of choice that a player has.

You guys think that swapping skills in town is really that good of an idea?
Edited by Dramatizator on 9/28/2011 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Swapping skills in town, by itself, only slows gameplay down. Since you can just teleport back to town, swap skills, go back and fight, and then go back to town and switch it back.

I don't see this happening honestly. You either have to do like a cooldown where you can only swap skills a certain number of times per hour, or day, or something like that. Or else the only affect is slowing down gameplay which is not what blizzard wants.
Reply Quote
How about swapping in town only combine with no swapping in combat?
Reply Quote
If you have to use your stone of recall you're not going to switch over to swap your cooldown out because doing so will make you take longer than just doing without it.
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 06:46 PMPosted by Dramatizator
In my opinion, it was fine the way it was before, since I was under the assumtions that runes would make changing skills on the fly useless, especially once the higher level runes were placed in the skills of choice that a player has.

This has been talked about a million times.

Runes enhance the skill to its max performance, but that just because we have one set with level 7 runes and another with level 4.. it would not make too much of a difference.

As for the system now, I could easily switch out of skills depending on the situation in mere milliseconds with the help of a decent keyboard. This is for both passive and active skills.

Essentially the idea of 6 actives and 3 passives would be useless. There would be no point to it.

In the end, your skill as a player will be measured on how fast you can get into the UI to switch your skill for both PvE and PvP. Blizzard did not want to balance around the skill switch UI.

Reply Quote
2 Goblin Warrior
I still think people won't be swapping skills when their skills are runed. What would be the point of investing in the rune you want for your skill, only to be swapping it everytime you encounter certain types of monsters.

I don't see someone swapping skills, opening their inventory, sticking the right rune in the right socket for the new skill they just put on their hot bar, all the while in the middle of combat. I'm almost 100% sure that this will not occur in HC at any rate.

I really think that having a mechanic where a rune is put into a skill, that you can't really swap out the skill for another one without it reducing the power of your character greatly. I mean, people were going crazy over someone that favours mf over doing more damage, now i'll have to deal with an idiot running around with electrocute runed with an alabaster rune tied too magic missile or something?? Where's the logic in that?
Edited by Dramatizator on 9/28/2011 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
and people wonder why the blues don't want to give much information..

they have not decided yet..scream when it's in the patch notes
Reply Quote
2 Goblin Warrior
and people wonder why the blues don't want to give much information..

they have not decided yet..scream when it's in the patch notes

No one has been screaming, we're only chatting it up in here.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
yeah i will scream if the system they put in sucks ..but i think swapping is fine for going through normal mode but you will need to settle on and get bonuses for sticking to a build as you progress through nightmare

my view is you should only be able to put a rune in at your mystic and when you swaop skills the rune drops out of the skill
Edited by Toyodah on 9/28/2011 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
09/28/2011 07:38 PMPosted by Toyodah
my view is you should only be able to put a rune in at your mystic and when you swaop skills the rune drops out of the skill

I like the thought of this.
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 08:07 PMPosted by Burnzor
Essentially, what town-only swapping does is prevent someone from being able to have more than 6 active skills in the heat of battle, just because he got really good at on the fly swapping. Nobody will really have the patience to keep on going to town and coming back, just because they want to use more than 6 skills in a certain dungeon. If they do that, then they're not really having fun.

I can understand this for Nightmare - Hell - Inferno after I've unlocked all my skills, but as I'm leveling through Normal I get a new skill every level, and will want to try it out without having to disrupt my action.

It's 30 seconds tops to cast Stone of Recall, pick your new skill and hop back in. That's not particularly disruptive unless you put absolutely no thought into it and wind up changing your skills every few minutes.

Honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about having to go to town. It's essentially a respec, and I don't think asking the player to take 30 seconds to respec if they want is that disruptive to gameplay. Level-ups aren't that frequent anyways, even at the beginning of the game. Not to mention, a lot of the players stop to read what their new skill does too.
Reply Quote
It's 30 seconds tops to cast Stone of Recall, pick your new skill and hop back in. That's not particularly disruptive unless you put absolutely no thought into it and wind up changing your skills every few minutes. Honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about having to go to town.

Oh, I leveled. Let me go back to town and select my awesome new ability...

Now let me walk back out to where I was...

Wow, this new ability blows. Guess I'll go back to town...

There, all fixed. Now let me walk back...

Hey, I leveled again...

Yeah. That sounds fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]