Diablo® III

Torn Between Main Skill: Toads, Bats or Dart?

I am having difficulty choosing a main attack skill for my build. I have it narrowed down to 3 skills: Poison Dart with Crimson Rune, Plague of Toads with Crimson Rune, or Firebats with Crimson Rune. I see benefits and drawbacks of each. Poison dart is a fast moving, low cost single target projectile which will be great for mobile boss fights and quick moving enemies. The bats do some pretty heavy damage in a line, but I don't know about their movement speed and they are cost-heavy. The toads are slow, but will make for some major AoE that will begin covering the battlefield as I cast more, have a decent mana cost, plus I love the animation and effect. Can someone who has tested in beta or someone who has really crunched the numbers weigh in? Thanks all!

EDIT: Fire Bomb makes the list as well. Decent cost, solid AoE, but slow moving.
Edited by Exalted on 9/27/2011 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Priest
Use Haunt+alabaster for single target, and Bats+crimson for AoE, imo. Bats is easiest to aim, it's like disintegrate.
Edited by Maharal on 9/27/2011 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think most of the enemies in the harder difficulties are going to be immune or highly resistant to fire damage. If you take that theory into consideration, none of the spell/rune combinations you listed make the cut.

Right now i'm liking acid cloud with a crimson, and locust swarm with an obsidian for damage.

I don't think haunt with an alabaster is going to be that useful, it's short duration means your going to be spending most of your time casting it, and it most likely won't kill enemies and jump to another target. Then you look at something like locust swarm you cast it once, and it stays up as long as it has an enemy to jump too, because there is no death requirement. Cast n forget type thing.

Acid cloud with crimson is just an AoE burst, and you'd spend most of your time casting that. The only problem; it is kind of a huge mana sink. probably because it does a lot damage.
Edited by Audio on 9/27/2011 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Priest
Audio: your theory isn't even true in D2, it depends on the act. D3 will have less resistance issues (e.g. no dual resist enemies).
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 01:04 PMPosted by Exalted
I am having difficulty choosing a main attack skill for my build. I have it narrowed down to 3 skills: Poison Dart with Crimson Rune, Plague of Toads with Crimson Rune, or Firebats with Crimson Rune.

Some of the toads seem to miss quite a bit and do nothing unless multiple enemies are up close. If enemies are up close, then firebats is better. But of those 3 choices I would choose the dart. I think rotating between haunt and locust swarm may end up being the best main attacks for my style of play though. The firebomb and spider animations seem to lock the witch doctor in place for too long, though I think the spiders can actually be runed to be really nice with a leap and more damage. Grasp + acid may be nice to toy around with too.
Reply Quote
Definitely leaning towards fire bats right now. But it only becomes viable once you socket it with a crimson, otherwise it has way too small range.

Fireball until then.

Also acid cloud with crimson is an option if mana is never an issue.
Reply Quote
I am having difficulty choosing a main attack skill for my build. I have it narrowed down to 3 skills: Poison Dart with Crimson Rune, Plague of Toads with Crimson Rune, or Firebats with Crimson Rune. I see benefits and drawbacks of each. Poison dart is a fast moving, low cost single target projectile which will be great for mobile boss fights and quick moving enemies. The bats do some pretty heavy damage in a line, but I don't know about their movement speed and they are cost-heavy. The toads are slow, but will make for some major AoE that will begin covering the battlefield as I cast more, have a decent mana cost, plus I love the animation and effect. Can someone who has tested in beta or someone who has really crunched the numbers weigh in? Thanks all!

EDIT: Fire Bomb makes the list as well. Decent cost, solid AoE, but slow moving.

I tried bat, frogs and bomb. I now using bomb. Seriously.. bomb is best! Bat are mana drinker for not that much dmg and you can't move. Bomb do almost same dmg and you cam move around and cast. For that reason I use bomb.

For frogs, i hate them because of the randomness.. Sometimes you need to be very close to do max dmg. If you are far away, you cast 3 or 4 times and 1 of 3 frogs it sometimes....

BOMB ALL THE WAY!!
Reply Quote

I tried bat, frogs and bomb. I now using bomb. Seriously.. bomb is best! Bat are mana drinker for not that much dmg and you can't move. Bomb do almost same dmg and you cam move around and cast. For that reason I use bomb.

For frogs, i hate them because of the randomness.. Sometimes you need to be very close to do max dmg. If you are far away, you cast 3 or 4 times and 1 of 3 frogs it sometimes....

BOMB ALL THE WAY!!

Thank you. Finally, a current beta tester who isn't using !@#$ing frogs.

Seriously i get so annoyed when they all insist on using it, only to cast having all 3 frogs missing their target and the summons actually being the one finishing it off.

Fire bomb seems legit! And reliable. And you don't have to get into melee range for it to actually be effective.

I'd imagine fire bats would get much more viable once you have the crimson in it though (40 yards is big)
Edited by Haggis on 9/28/2011 5:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Audio
I think most of the enemies in the harder difficulties are going to be immune or highly resistant to fire damage. If you take that theory into consideration, none of the spell/rune combinations you listed make the cut.

That's a very bold theory, considering Blizzard's stated stance on immunities. They want elemental resistances and immunities to be a lot less crippling than they were in Diablo 2. If as you say most end-game enemies are immune to fire, then half of the witch doctor's straight up damage spells are useless. It's unlikely.

I'd go for both firebats and firebomb. With different runes, their range and utility varies a lot. I'd want to have more than one spell for different situations.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]