Diablo® III

Best Way to Play Monk

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UekXdV!Zcd!YacccY

This is the build I'll be rocking upon reaching level 30.

How to Use:

1- Start By Casting your Mantra to increase your attack speed (via rune) and reflect damage to those that attack in melee.

2- Next Breath of Heaven provides a hefty damage increase (via rune) even if the healing isn't needed. Recast as needed.

3- When you encounter an enemy Dashing Strike will get you there quickly, for relatively low cost and provide a dodge buff (via rune).

4- Once in melee range, Crippling Wave will be your first debuff +80% damage done to all affected (via rune) to apply to all enemies in front of you, cast this twice. (Don't use final attack, see below)

5- Exploding Palm will be the third attack in your flurry, applying a HEAVY bleed effect to up to 8 targets (via rune). If you're targets don't explode in a cascade of death AND step six is on cooldown, repeat steps 4 and 5.

6- Wave of Light will be your "Finisher" with the Obsidian rune the target will be dealt an enormous amount of damage and likely cause it to explode from the Palm Debuff, causing the aforementioned cascade of death.

Thoughts/Comments
Edited by WadeWilson on 10/15/2011 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Aside from the first 2 passives, this is pretty much the same build I have in mind for my monk @ release.

I'd drop Chant of Resonance for Beacon of Ytar and Guardian's Path for Seize the Initiative or One With Everything.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Pretty much my build as well, although I'm considering Crimson 7SS instead of Wave of Light. If mobs start getting tougher and don't die fast enough for Indigo Exploding Palm, switching out to the 10 second bleed might work (especially with the Mantra's 40% IAS making it more feasible to apply it to more than one target).
Reply Quote
Going to be a great build if things don't change much.
Reply Quote
Same, a tad more defensive build for HC mode, but same thought. Exploding Palm seems to be very similar tot he awesome that was Corpse Explosion.
Reply Quote
My character shall rain down the "Talk to the hand" until everybody is a pile of bloody goop.

/sips coffee
Reply Quote
10/17/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Weesheng
Also no life leach and dodge

He has the dodge runestone in Dashing Strike and if he is dual wielding he gets more dodge from the passive The Guardian's Path.

Oh and Breath of Heaven is a big heal...life leech for monk will come from gear.
Edited by JumpyMonkey on 10/17/2011 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Uh what you failed to recognize is that crippling wave, if you look at the runes stones; alabaster states affected not hit like obsidian stones states.
So affected by what? a hit? or affected by daze? i believe the latter, thus you must hit the target 3 times with wave before you get this bonus and if they are affected by daze. Fail.

Furthermore, as stated above you need 135 spirit at 6pt generation with palm or wave; that is 23 hits.
Thats alot to power your spender combo, you will be dying ALOT.
Edited by Arclite on 10/17/2011 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Uh what you failed to recognize is that crippling wave, if you look at the runes stones; alabaster states affected not hit like obsidian stones states.
So affected by what? a hit? or affected by daze? i believe the latter, thus you must hit the target 3 times with wave before you get this bonus and if they are affected by daze. Fail.

Furthermore, as stated above you need 135 spirit at 6pt generation with palm or wave; that is 23 hits.
Thats alot to power your spender combo, you will be dying ALOT.

Crippling Wave applies the effect on every hit. The tooltip is wrong on the skill calc.

Reply Quote
Where did you get your information?
Has this been confirmed in game?
Reply Quote
Gee, I dunno maybe because I've been using Crippling Wave in the beta I'm playing?? Pretty hard to not notice the SNARED that pops up on every hit.
Reply Quote
Tooltips have changed since I created this build, seems they nerfed a few things, still seems like a solid build though. Ill have to experiment more
Reply Quote
10/17/2011 07:23 PMPosted by WadeWilson
Tooltips have changed since I created this build, seems they nerfed a few things, still seems like a solid build though. Ill have to experiment more

Nothing was nerfed, the calculator is just showing rank 4 runestones instead of rank 7 now.
Reply Quote
No I believe something's have changed,
Didn't lashing have 6 second cooldown? Has 3 now.
Reply Quote
@chcknsnack laughable.
So it snared so what that doesn't mean !@#$ , unless you got a special beta where you get rune stones you CAN'T confirm that cripple wave with alabaster stone increase damage with hit and not with daze affect.
Loss the attitude, you don't know what your talking about.
Reply Quote
@chcknsnack laughable.
So it snared so what that doesn't mean !@#$ , unless you got a special beta where you get rune stones you CAN'T confirm that cripple wave with alabaster stone increase damage with hit and not with daze affect.

Even if it does require the third hit, the strategy is almost the same. The rotation just gets a little longer. instead of 1-2-3-4-4-5-6 it becomes 1-2-3-4-4-4-4-4-5-6.
Reply Quote
No I believe something's have changed,
Didn't lashing have 6 second cooldown? Has 3 now.

It always had a 6 sec cooldown in the beta and 3 sec cooldown on the website. So either the cooldown reduces as you level or they decided to lower the cooldown after the beta was made. Either way, the website always showed 3 seconds.
Reply Quote
@chcknsnack laughable.

Someone lacks reading comprehension. By the looks of it you also lack proper English skills as well :x

You asked for confirmation and you got it. Shouldn't have doubt me in the first place considering I'm playing the beta. Don't get mad just because my information is good and yours is speculation.
Reply Quote
Confirmation as in information from blizzard, not just from what you think. I couldn't care less what you think. Did you even read what I posted?
You have zero understanding how runestones work whether you played the beta or not. Because they are NOT included in the beta, you goof.
So the only place this information is available right now is from blizzard, Ie. Their site.
So when it says in description 'affected' that doesn't imply 'hit' now does it?
Or they would just say that "hit targets take 80% additional damage..."
Edited by Arclite on 10/18/2011 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]