Diablo® III

I don't like the whole "Missiles" thing...

60 Night Elf Rogue
Just saying...
Reply Quote
You mean the rockets? Sadly, it looks like they've already invested too much design into it to drop them completely.

But, who knows, it could all change quite a bit between now and release.
Reply Quote
Agreed, but I feel that way about "sentry" play in the first place. Zero interest in speccing out all my skills so that the computer can shoot mobs for me.
Reply Quote
They are all runestone effects so you don't have to use them. Some people like them and some people don't, noone is forcing you to use them. I personally like them, check out the Cluster Arrow runestone video if you want to see them.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml
Reply Quote
I didn't like them either, until I started to think of the DH as an archer/caster instead of a ranger or zon. Now I think they would be pretty cool in some builds. And, they are just rune effects, so unless missiles are completely imba, you can still use the full range of DH skills without feeling like you need to use them.
Reply Quote
Haha I thought this thread was going to be about attack animation (instant vs missile) but its a bit more productive lol.
Edited by Kestrel on 9/26/2011 5:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like the missiles.. just sayin
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For a game series thats never had guns, skipping to rockets seems a bit farfetched. I'd expect to see this kind of explosive malarkey from Torchlight but not Diablo.
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 06:36 PMPosted by Arkaic
For a game series thats never had guns, skipping to rockets seems a bit farfetched. I'd expect to see this kind of explosive malarkey from Torchlight but not Diablo.

I think people are hearing rockets and thinking of modern day high tech missiles when they are actually more like ancient fireworks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/26/2011 06:42 PMPosted by JumpyMonkey

I think people are hearing rockets and thinking of modern day high tech missiles when they are actually more like ancient fireworks.

Even if the intention was to refer to launching fireworks (which sounds silly anyway, fear my uber sparkliness!), my point was that the incorporation of projectile explosives is unusual for the Diablo universe. This would logically suggest that Blizzard may be considering including guns.

Anyway, these are the examples which mention rockets, including homing (would make a remark about the fact that homing fireworks don't exist, but this is a game with homing arrows so who knows):

Spitfire Turret (Sentry) - "fire homing rockets"
Rocket Storm (Strafe) - "fire off homing rockets"
Shooting Stars (Cluster Arrow) - "shoots up to 9 rockets"
Arsenal (Multishot) - "fires 10 rockets"
Ballistics - "Damage from rockets increased by 100%"

Projectile instead of rocket would be better imo, launching a rocket from a bow is just asking for finger burns.

And here are some examples which suggest inclusion of guns:

Liquid Flame (Impale) - "fire an explosive shell"
Shrapnel (Evasive Fire) - "fire exploding bullets"
Withering Fire (Evasive Fire) - "fire a spread of bullets"

Unless they are suggesting you would fire a bullet from a bow, although somehow I don't think that would work. Wouldn't be a world breaker if guns were included, other RPGs have guns, just threatens to lose some of its Diablo charm.

If I wanted to shoot undead and demons with guns/explosives, I'd rather play an FPS.
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 09:47 PMPosted by Arkaic
Even if the intention was to refer to launching fireworks (which sounds silly anyway, fear my uber sparkliness!)

This is exactly why they called them Rockets and not fireworks, you see fireworks and think oh bright colors and sparkles! Old fireworks were just an explosive projectile blast.

Anyway, these are the examples which mention rockets, including homing (would make a remark about the fact that homing fireworks don't exist, but this is a game with homing arrows so who knows)

I believe they decided to make them homing due to the random flight path they take and having them just be random wouldn't be very effective. Also, having them always fly the same direction every time wouldn't look right imo. Also, this is a fantasy world with magic and demons, they are allowed to do some crazy stuff if they want!

Projectile instead of rocket would be better imo, launching a rocket from a bow is just asking for finger burns.

And here are some examples which suggest inclusion of guns:

Liquid Flame (Impale) - "fire an explosive shell"
Shrapnel (Evasive Fire) - "fire exploding bullets"
Withering Fire (Evasive Fire) - "fire a spread of bullets"

Unless they are suggesting you would fire a bullet from a bow, although somehow I don't think that would work. Wouldn't be a world breaker if guns were included, other RPGs have guns, just threatens to lose some of its Diablo charm.

Impale and Evasive Fire both sound and look like gun shots. I think the idea behind it was that the attack was so intense, the arrow is flying so fast like a bullet. I'm guessing they didn't want to directly add guns to the game so they included a couple skills that resemble gun shots.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I believe they decided to make them homing due to the random flight path they take and having them just be random wouldn't be very effective. Also, having them always fly the same direction every time wouldn't look right imo. Also, this is a fantasy world with magic and demons, they are allowed to do some crazy stuff if they want!

I know its a fantasy world, I did say it was a game. Magic homing is fine.

Impale and Evasive Fire both sound and look like gun shots. I think the idea behind it was that the attack was so intense, the arrow is flying so fast like a bullet. I'm guessing they didn't want to directly add guns to the game so they included a couple skills that resemble gun shots.

The gun shot sound has been discussed in a different topic on the forums, with a general concensus that it seems out of place when wielding a bow or even crossbows.

All the other runes for Impact refer to a "shot" rather than a bullet or shell, and I think that example is just an oversight in the description text. Stating explosive projectile would better suit.

Your description of 'fast like a bullet' has no application to Evasive Fire which doesn't involve especially fast or hard shots.

TBH theres going to be many changes to the class before release, its possible all of these descriptions will be changed to fit more appropriately.
Reply Quote
Shameless own thread advertisement incoming.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3229376919

I made a thread where I think DH should gain a more magic theme to class. At bottom of my latest post I suggest a alternative version to rockets I'd like to see instead. More of a visual change suggestion to fit in with shadow theme class should have.

Imagine if instead of rockets minions like those in the game darkness came out instead, with most of their body being made of a explosive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
At bottom of my latest post I suggest a alternative version to rockets I'd like to see instead. More of a visual change suggestion to fit in with shadow theme class should have.

Imagine if instead of rockets minions like those in the game darkness came out instead, with most of their body being made of a explosive.

I like the sound of that, similar to the runes for Rain of Vengeance which summon shadow beasts instead of arrows. I'm all for shadow projectiles, magic is a better fit than rockets/guns.
Edited by Arkaic on 9/27/2011 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Why not Zoidbe.....grenades?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fRXlad!fXZ!bZZcZc
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Rogue
This:

They are all runestone effects so you don't have to use them. Some people like them and some people don't, noone is forcing you to use them. I personally like them, check out the Cluster Arrow runestone video if you want to see them.

<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml">http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml</a>

PLUS THIS

EQUALS me liking missiles now :)
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 04:16 PMPosted by dslyecix
Agreed, but I feel that way about "sentry" play in the first place. Zero interest in speccing out all my skills so that the computer can shoot mobs for me.

All of your skills. 100% of your skills. You've got to remove every one of them in order to get sentry, because it takes up 6 skill slots.

/sarcasm.
come on now
Reply Quote
Do you guys have a link with the animation of the rockets?

I don't think I've come across them yet.
Reply Quote
Do you guys have a link with the animation of the rockets?

I don't think I've come across them yet.

I linked it already, check my first post in this thread above.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]