Diablo® III

Please tell me gems are just a placeholder!

Only four gem types now? No unique bonuses for weapons? A piddly 1% gain or +10 stats going from level 13 to 14? Rubies in helm being completely worthless at level 60?

Considering that in previous builds there were 6 gem types with 3 different modifications each, the current gems are highly disappointing.

Can Bashiok or someone else please confirm that these gems are just a placeholder?

Reply Quote
Isnt the artisan supposed to enchant your weapon, instead of putting gems in to it now. Might be something I misunderstood, but I think I heard this a while ago.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
you can enchant most of your gear slots. Unless I am remembering what I read wrong.

I think the new gems are fine, with enchants on your gear it should even out quite well.

::EDIT:: checked. boots, gloves, pants, ring, shoulder, ranged, wand, one hand weapon, 2 hand weapon are the enchants available in the recipes so far.
Edited by Beardasaurus on 9/27/2011 1:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
We have to keep in mind that there are 2 expansions coming too.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 01:17 AMPosted by Cujo

True. Blizzard is well known for withholding content from the original release to ensure content for the expansion.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 01:50 AMPosted by Spens

True. Blizzard is well known for withholding content from the original release to ensure content for the expansion.

Withholding content? Are you serious? It's called 'not fully implementing all ideas that are shot across the table'.

They aren't withholding anything. If something doesn't make sense in the initial release, doesn't feel quite balanced or seems to be better suited to a more powerful breed of character, then yes... It wil be cut from the release, possibly never to see the light of day, or perhaps to show up in an expansion.

To insinuate that they are so lacking in creativity that they need to trim off content to save for a rainy day is just laughable.
Reply Quote
Gems are just a placeholder.
Edited by Tamer on 9/27/2011 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

To insinuate that they are so lacking in creativity that they need to trim off content to save for a rainy day is just laughable.

They do it all the time for all of their games. It ensures that they have well developed content for the expansion.
Edited by Spens on 9/27/2011 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Note: Item information is not final and is subject to change at any time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
4 gems.. 4 stats.. ooooaaahhhh :O
Reply Quote

Can Bashiok or someone else please confirm that these gems are just a placeholder?

Asking for a blue to post is frowned upon.
Reply Quote
They said earlier that almost all of the items are placeholders. Check this thread out:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=3000&topicId=27832813210&forumId=12007&postId=278301784319#7
Reply Quote
They said earlier that almost all of the items are placeholders. Check this thread out:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=3000&topicId=27832813210&forumId=12007&postId=278301784319#7

Bashiok has lied before for PR sake. On top of that, he never mentions gems, and is mostly talking about affixes for legendary items.

Regardless, the reduction to four gems is probably final, as we saw only four gems the last time they showed us gem progression (without stats) earlier this year... Gamescon I believe.

Hopefully the actual stats are just a placeholder, as a 1% increase from level 13-14 is a joke. If we are to buy what Bashiok says, he previously mentioned that gems will have a small increase in leveling, and are mostly a carrot on a stick for min/maxers. The current stats fit his description.

Reply Quote
I realize the items database is in flux and everything can change, but based on conflicting information I would be interested to see some clarification on gems. Originally there were 6 types, then during the Inferno presentation only 4 were shown in the slide-show (we assumed so they could be large enough to see). Then in the interviews following the Inferno presentation, Jay said that nothing had changed with gems. Well, the artwork has been modified somewhat from the original versions and now the items database only shows 4 types, so we are all just curious about what is going on with gems. It seems they have changed some from the original screen shot.

The original image:
http://www.redtigeroh.com/diablo/gallery/1024/diablo3_0836.jpg

The Inferno Presentation image (scroll down a bit to see image):
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/see-just-how-crazy-your-diablo-iii-character-can-look-if-you-play-on-inferno/

Current Items page link:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/gem/
Reply Quote
Gems are the most simple item type possible and they've been in the game for two years.

You honestly think they haven't figured out what stats they are going to put on them?

Get a clue; gems in their current state are 95% final.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 09:20 AMPosted by Aldritch
Note: Item information is not final and is subject to change at any time.

this.
Reply Quote
If you scroll to the bottom of the item page you will notice "Note: Item information is not final and is subject to change at any time."
Edited by Kai on 9/27/2011 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 11:31 AMPosted by Kai
If you scroll to the bottom of the item page you will notice "Note: Item information is not final and is subject to change at any time."

Items are subject to change, but that does not mean they are guaranteed to change.

We've seen the consolidation down to four gems before the item page, and four stats for four gems make sense, so I am assuming that is a final decision.

Anyways, the point of this thread was to see if these were the intended final stats of gems, and to say that the current state of gems is quite underwhelming...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]