Diablo® III

Congratulations on choosing a great 1st class

Here are some the reasons I think your choice to roll witch doctor as a first class was a great choice

1) Not as Gear-dependent

If diablo 2 has taught us anything, it's that having a bunch of summons to soak damage and pre-occupy enemies aswell as supporting AoE damage is a way to be effective at even the highest of difficulties with little to no investment in gear.

My estimate is, much like the 'fishymancer', the witch doctor will be one of the best classes with cheap gear

2) PvM strengths

He has summons, healing, crowd control, AoE damage, and debuffs. No doubt he is going to be a PvM beast - particularly late game. And as a first class, for many the main focus will be against the environment and not other players

3) Wealth building

Because of the first 2 points - my estimate is the witch doctor will be the best class for doing endgame runs. Being strong with little gear to begin with, combined with his strengths in PvM will lead to an ability to make the most of 'runs', or 'mfing', or 'farming' in the late game. In diablo 2, the sorceress was the definite top choice for this - however, due to adding a cooldown to teleport, the wizard cannot abuse the ridiculous mobility granted by that spell, giving a more solid and survivability based PvM class such as the witch doctor a chance to shine.

And as for PvP, well all those disables and snares sure as hell are looking might strong
Edited by Haggis on 9/28/2011 4:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure a summons-focused witch doctor is going to be just as gear-dependent as anyone else. It's pretty likely that the health, damage and defense of them is going to scale with your gear.

But yeah, having a literal meatshield always in front of you is a huge boon while you're still getting a feel for the game.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure a summons-focused witch doctor is going to be just as gear-dependent as anyone else. It's pretty likely that the health, damage and defense of them is going to scale with your gear.

But yeah, having a literal meatshield always in front of you is a huge boon while you're still getting a feel for the game.

The summons of the necromancer also scaled with gear (+Skills), yet the fishymancer was still less gear reliant than other classes
Reply Quote
By choosing the word "Gargantuan" (Kill Bill reference maybe?) I think Blizz has a lot to live up to in making sure that guy can tank some serious damage before dying. So I definitely agree with you there.

However, my guess is that zombie dogs are going to get 1 or 2 shotted by Inferno mobs, even with the passive life bonus. Maybe when we get good gear they will be able to hold their own like skellies in D2 v1.10+, but we are talking about entry-level Inferno here.

I also bet that monsters will avoid attacking certain WD summons like the mother spider, giant toad, acid cloud slimes, and hexing shaman. I bet they will go straight for your gargantuan, dogs, or WD, whichever is closer.

It's going to be hard, but the other classes will be harder. I feel very bad for barbarians already after watching some videos of them having to solo elite monsters with their weapon throw skills. It also looks like the wizard, demon hunter, and monk require more skill combos to play, whereas "clickers" (or players like myself you like to game with a glass of wine in their left hand) might be able to solo okay with a WD.
Reply Quote
Im fairly certain that WD spells will be based off of items in the same way that WoW spells were based off of spelldamage.
Reply Quote
this isn't d2. your assumptions are poor. that said, congrats on choosing a great 1st class anyway.
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 11:23 AMPosted by Uberstein
By choosing the word "Gargantuan" (Kill Bill reference maybe?) I think Blizz has a lot to live up to in making sure that guy can tank some serious damage before dying. So I definitely agree with you there.

Oh yeah. Check out this, he appears at the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9E4peoMCg

Pretty big

09/28/2011 11:23 AMPosted by Uberstein
However, my guess is that zombie dogs are going to get 1 or 2 shotted by Inferno mobs, even with the passive life bonus. Maybe when we get good gear they will be able to hold their own like skellies in D2 v1.10+, but we are talking about entry-level Inferno here.

Well if you think about it, you could have up to 20 skellies, and each one was relatively tanky. You can only have 4 zombie dogs. From what we've heard, they scale quite well. In my opinion, they'll be able to hold their own.

If not by themselves, we might be able to rely on simply being able to summon enough minions with a combination of corpse spiders, zombie dogs, gargantuan and fetish army to spread the damage, and heal them with hex with golden rune to keep them alive.

I also bet that monsters will avoid attacking certain WD summons like the mother spider, giant toad, acid cloud slimes, and hexing shaman. I bet they will go straight for your gargantuan, dogs, or WD, whichever is closer.

Yea I can imagine this would happen too. Hopefully. ;P

09/28/2011 12:30 PMPosted by GKCanman
Im fairly certain that WD spells will be based off of items in the same way that WoW spells were based off of spelldamage.

Consider the skill that is a nuke is 100% reliant on attack damage (e.g. does 320% of weapon damage)

Consider a summon that is only in part reliable on weapon damage (has a 210% weapon damage cleave attack). This summon still has his hitpoints, and the fact that he is physically there and will distract mobs.

And then consider a supportive, crowd control spell like horrify which is not affected by weapon damage at all.

The design of the witch doctor, with many supporting spells like summons and crowd control, makes him less reliant on pure weapon damage than, say, a wizard, monk or barbarian who are packed with nuking and AoE style spells.

09/28/2011 01:26 PMPosted by Sunderscape
this isn't d2. your assumptions are poor.

Saying 'if diablo 2 has taught us anything' isn't saying 'this game is diablo 2'
Edited by Haggis on 9/28/2011 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 08:15 PMPosted by Haggis
Well if you think about it, you could have up to 20 skellies, and each one was relatively tanky. You can only have 4 zombie dogs. From what we've heard, they scale quite well. In my opinion, they'll be able to hold their own.

I hope so! I'm just mentally preparing for the worst: Blizz says that Inferno will be very hard.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Priest
I am going to go ahead and vote wizard as the least gear dependent wealth building class.
Reply Quote

this isn't d2. your assumptions are poor.

Saying 'if diablo 2 has taught us anything' isn't saying 'this game is diablo 2'

your first point is based on a design used in d2 that is avoided in d3. the developers changed how the potency of a skill is determined in order to fight against exactly the discrepancy you refer to in d2. for example, caster spells are based on weapon damage now, bringing casters in line with melee'rs. since there is no information on how dogs scale with gear, i can't say that you're wrong. i can only say that the basis to your statement is a poor assumption.

your second point is valid in that the WD should have all of the tools to perform well in endgame pvm, assuming proper scaling. however, there's no discussion on the other classes' downfalls in this regard. given what we've seen with so many changes made to d3 to counter issues raised in d2, i don't foresee blizzard making them any less potent than the WD. again, there's not enough information here to judge accurately, but basing your opinion off of d2's lack of class balance in pvm viability seems foolish.

your third point is based on the earlier points, so that's that.

-----------------

i don't argue that the WD won't be amazing. i think the class looks great and suits my playstyle perfectly. i'm just saying that you shouldn't assume that the flaws in d2 will carry over to d3, when there's so much evidence of blizzard making purposeful steps to avoid that. once the entire game is available to play, whether it's beta or release, we'll see how well they did with that. not sooner.
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 10:15 AMPosted by Haggis
The summons of the necromancer also scaled with gear (+Skills), yet the fishymancer was still less gear reliant than other classes

I never played a fishymancer so I'm not 100% familiar with the details, but it looks like the witch doctor plays very differently regardless. You can't just have the zombie dogs kill everything while staying in the back, and you're very limited in the number of minions you can have.

The fishymancer also only scaled with gear from +skill. Literally everything on the zombie dogs scale with gear. If you don't keep your equipment updated, the zombie dogs will die before their cooldown is up and before they get anything killed.

I'm definitely not saying that the witch doctor won't be awesome though, I just think they'll scale the same as everyone else.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]