Diablo® III

Male Demon Hunter Model

90 Worgen Warrior
The male Demon Hunter model doesn't feel right to me. From videos I've seen and things I've read, I'm definitely not the only one.

My biggest issue is not that he's emo, but that he's too emo. I get that it's suppose to have this dark feel and be very reclusive, but I think the current model is a sarcastic caricature of that. Even the initial artwork we've seen at conferences and elsewhere doesn't really seem to reflect the current look of the male Demon Hunter model. The video released at Blizzcon last year showed this badass chick that was lean, but still muscular. Quite frankly, the current male model in the beta looks like a bit of a !@#$%. He has no meat on his bones and he doesn't feel deadly to me.

I'd really like to see a little bit more muscle definition and a darker mysterious feel to him. Currently, he looks like a guy that happens to kills demons and shops only at Hot Topic.

P.S. WTB beta key! I don't wanna wait for my Blizzcon goodie bag to get one.

P.P.S. You guys are putting beta keys in the goodie bags... right? If you're not, just lie to me. I can't handle the truth
Edited by Krix on 9/30/2011 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Both models are cliche. The female is the typical hot girl that we see in every game. Whatever, it's to be expected. To me it seems the character artist tried to make the male in similar theme to the female but didn't pull it off. He isn't dark and mysterious, he's just annoying and prissy in skinny jeans.

Give me a gritty action hero, not a sad excuse for a prom date.
Edited by Exosapien on 9/30/2011 7:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Perhaps it's a demon hunter tactic: make the demons feel embarrassed to be defeated by the likes of a demon hunter wearing tight pants and some eye liner.
Edited by BatZera on 9/30/2011 8:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Both are good observations :P
Reply Quote
You all makes me sad. *flip hair*
Reply Quote
I'm gonna be rolling a DH so far as my first class, I guess I'll jump in the guy that roles a female character bandwagon for this one...or maybe not...who knows?

I used to play a male blood elf paladin in WoW so is not like I care....

*I know this is not WoW*
Reply Quote
He does look rather feminine doesn't he. Actually not to thrilled about it either, being the true manly man that I man.
Reply Quote
Every time a character gets introduced who has a normal or, heaven forbid, lithe body type, there come a multitude of complaints from the insecure crowd about how he should be a beefcake paragon. "The males are too thin, too tame, and this translates to weak and feminine to me. Beef/menace them up!" There were similar complaints about the Blood Elves and the Worgen in WoW and for some reason, Blizzard catered to it.

How about for once, they don't? The Demon Hunter isn't supposed to be some meathead--that's the Barbarian. He's not supposed to some stunning caricature of muscle and strength--he's supposed to be lean, agile, and cunning.

If you want a character whose sheer volume translates to power and menace, play the Barbarian. If you want an inbetween, go for the Monk. The Demon Hunter male looks fine as is.
Reply Quote
Every time a character gets introduced who has a normal or, heaven forbid, lithe body type, there come a multitude of complaints from the insecure crowd about how he should be a beefcake paragon. "The males are too thin, too tame, and this translates to weak and feminine to me. Beef/menace them up!" There were similar complaints about the Blood Elves and the Worgen in WoW and for some reason, Blizzard catered to it.

How about for once, they don't? The Demon Hunter isn't supposed to be some meathead--that's the Barbarian. He's not supposed to some stunning caricature of muscle and strength--he's supposed to be lean, agile, and cunning.

If you want a character whose sheer volume translates to power and menace, play the Barbarian. If you want an inbetween, go for the Monk. The Demon Hunter male looks fine as is.

I don't think the issue is just that he's of a normal size. It's more that the Demon Hunter looks like Toby McGuire gone douchebag in Spider Man 3, when we would prefer he look like Hugh Jackman in Van Helsing. Not huge, but manly nonetheless.
Reply Quote
10/01/2011 11:26 AMPosted by Acaelus
I don't think the issue is just that he's of a normal size. It's more that the Demon Hunter looks like Toby McGuire gone douchebag in Spider Man 3, when we would prefer he look like Hugh Jackman in Van Helsing. Not huge, but manly nonetheless.

Like I said:
"The males are too thin, too tame, and this translates to weak and feminine to me. Beef/menace them up!"

You're not exactly arguing any differently than I've outlined. Muscular seems to equate to manly for you. Toby McGuire's build was fine for Spider-man, a character who is supposed to be lithe. This is a character who is supposed to be tumbling, rolling, flipping and nimbly ducking out of the demons' way. This is a guy who, while he can wield two handed crossbows, is caricatured with hand crossbows, the projectile weapon that requires the least amount of physical effort. You've got your muscular builds in the Barbarian and the Monk. The Demon Hunter looks fine, dare I say normal.

I'm really tired of people complaining solely due to their own insecurities. If anyone truly feels so inadequate playing a character that isn't bulked up, they can play a class that caters to that aesthetic. Frankly, I think the aesthetic of the Demon Hunter with a lithe, toned build suits the intended agile character type.

Besides, the ladies need some eye-candy, too.
Reply Quote
I don't think insecurity plays a part in peoples' reception of the male DH -- for me it's just personal preference and play-style. The actions, demeanor and posture of the current DH model are very unlike how I envision a Demon Hunter.

To be more clear; I like the size/physique of the model -- it is characteristic of an agile marksman with a dark side. I just don't like the model's movements and animations because they are uncharacteristic of the hero and 'feel' weird to me.

There were similar complaints about the Blood Elves and the Worgen in WoW and for some reason, Blizzard catered to it.

How about for once, they don't?

You may or may not follow business and/or marketing news and trends, but what is finally surfacing to the 'public' is that businesses should listen to and heed the consumers' wishes whenever realistic (after all, the businesses make products specifically for the customer). So, Blizzard is correct to acquiesce to the consumers' majority opinions on issues like the DH model and otherwise.
Reply Quote
10/01/2011 01:13 PMPosted by Yumeijin
I'm really tired of people complaining solely due to their own insecurities. If anyone truly feels so inadequate playing a character that isn't bulked up, they can play a class that caters to that aesthetic. Frankly, I think the aesthetic of the Demon Hunter with a lithe, toned build suits the intended agile character type.

My own insecurities? I, in fact, am a fan of the Demon Hunter because it is the class I can most closely relate to. I'm a thin, lithe guy, as you would say. That doesn't mean I look feminine, but the Demon Hunter sure does. It's something I can get over, since he'll be wearing armor, but without it he just doesn't look like he belongs fighting demons. It's as bad as the League of Legends champions who run around with their chests hanging out.

The Demon Hunter can be lithe without being a @***!. So can Spiderman, for that matter. Just not with Toby McGuire playing him. Yuck.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior

I think you really misunderstood what I meant. I may have just not been as descriptive as I should have though.

I don't want him to look "beefy" at all. Someone even said Van Helsing sized, which I think would be pretty badass now that it's been mentioned, but I still think the slim figure style is great. There's a huge difference between being beefy and being and slim and fit. The male Demon Hunter is a skeleton w/ skin stretched over it. It's just my opinion that he should just have a little more muscle definition (i.e. any at all).

Either that or replace Vault with Skateboard. Trollololol :P

I wasn't demanding change. This is all just my personal opinion on the matter. If enough agree, then maybe they'll make a change, maybe they won't. The male Demon Hunter model is probably the most recent one they've done so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have changes planned.

Edit: Actually, I rather like the male Blood Elf model. It's exactly what it's suppose to be. Very lean and skinny, but they don't look weak either.
Edited by Krix on 10/1/2011 11:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The constant struggle over Hatred and Discipline has made his body seem frail but the same powers keep him strong? Seems like a good guess. I think he looks pretty bad !@# plus the hood really sells it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Yeah, he looks good once he gets some gear on to cover up his bones. I guess you'll never be walking around in the buff so none of this really matters too much anyway :P
Reply Quote
Why is anyone complaining about male DH's wtf. Have you seen the Witch Doctors?
Reply Quote
The Witch Doctor looks just right for his "drugged up crazy old voodoo man" style.
Reply Quote
and still the DH looks better
Reply Quote
10/02/2011 07:27 AMPosted by drunkz
Why is anyone complaining about male DH's wtf. Have you seen the Witch Doctors?

Male WD is perfect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]