Diablo® III

Animation Canceling/Game Feature

OLD

I'm not sure if anyone has confirmed or denied this as intentional or a bug/exploit; but currently as it stands, you're able to cancel the recovery time on your first attack animation and chain directly into your next attack. While I personally like the potentiality of spamming skills at a faster rate; this promotes a tremendous risk of potential blow-back in breaking game-balance.

The danger in allowing the potentiality of daisy chaining skills together comes not only in PvP, but more importantly PvW gear prioritization. Allowing the exploitation of attack animations cripples weapon speeds and +attack speed attributes, rendering them almost worthless.

Attack animation cancellation promotes a huge risk of throwing off game-balance, class-resource management, and gear itemization; and needs to seriously be reviewed/addressed before D3's final release!
Video: <http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/d3-exploit-cancel-skill-animation>

UPDATE

It's nice to hear Blizzard has opted to support animation canceling, I for one will be looking forward to the added game depth this brings to D3. I'm eager to hear how the dev team plans on integrating resource regeneration and gear itemization with the new combat system. Assuming things run smoothly, it should make for some very fluid and intriguing gameplay ;p
Edited by AdjutantXIII on 10/9/2011 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Already addressed on the Beta feedback forums.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3279043269

The only true glitch is this:
3) Canceling out of channeled spells will lock your character until your mana/hate/etc.. is depleted.
Edited by Giraffasaur on 10/7/2011 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Already a topic on this subject:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3280533479

A quick search for "animation canceling" would have saved you the trouble of making this post.

Edit: Dammit I was Ninjad!
Edited by Vermithrax on 10/7/2011 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bahahahaha Vermithrax, that was awesome.
By the way, I linked the Beta Feedback where it was addressed, you linked the General Discussion where it was addressed. Both are viable sources, so you were less ninja'd than you think.
Edited by Giraffasaur on 10/7/2011 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Ooh I hadn't noticed that it was a different link. (By the way I despise that editing a post forces you to strip out the HTML, bliz needs to smack their web-people upside the head for that one.)

I generally don't hang out in the beta forums due to the lack of being able to post there. (I find it more frustrating than it is informative.)
Reply Quote
Already a topic on this subject:
<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3280533479">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3280533479</a>

A quick search for "animation canceling" would have saved you the trouble of making this post.

I already know there are several posts on the topic, my goal was to raise awareness. The subject at hand is relatively important to game-balance, my intent is simply to broadening an audience within the forums. The additional links help ;p
Edited by AdjutantXIII on 10/7/2011 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/07/2011 11:21 AMPosted by AdjutantXIII
I already know there are several posts on the topic, my goal was to raise awareness. The subject at hand is relatively important to game-balance, my intent is simply to broadening an audience within the forums. The additional links help ;p

So why make a new post? Why not just bump the existing thread?
Besides, this issue doesn't really look like a real issue. It looks like a bug that I'm expecting to be fixed. (Animation canceling doesn't really seem to fit as part of the game design so I highly doubt it's intentional.)

I'll worry about it if it's still around in future beta builds.
Reply Quote
I thought I read that a blue post on something talking about combos, if I did then this is intended with the exception of the channeled bug.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

You're right, it needs to be brought to blizzard's attention.
You're wrong, it doesn't need to be brought to the public's attention. That is just encouraging bug abuse, you sir, should be banned.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
It's an intentional mechanic, not an exploit or bug. Our intent is simply to make combat feel good and responsive, but the implementation to hit that goal in the closed beta build is actually quite old. It's likely you'll see changes within some future beta push that reflect more what we're testing now internally, but of course it's possible that won't be the final implementation either.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 11:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There is no way that is an intentional mechanic. Sorry Bash, I don't believe you for a second, and I think this will change prior to release.

To prove my point, I ask you one simple question. Why does this not work with both mouse buttons, but require a keyboard hot key?
Edited by suffer on 10/7/2011 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can't believe it's actually an intentional mechanic... :(
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/07/2011 12:47 PMPosted by Jacka
bashiok is saying that they want people to be casting 2+ spells in the same timespan as 1.

No, that's not what I'm saying. That's not the intent.

I'm saying we're looking for ways to make combat feel responsive and "good". Those are both rather subjective things, and the early prototype to try to achieve those goals (which is what you can see in the beta) has already been replaced by something else.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/07/2011 12:27 PMPosted by Bashiok
It's an intentional mechanic, not an exploit or bug. Our intent is simply to make combat feel good and responsive, but the implementation to hit that goal in the closed beta build is actually quite old. It's likely you'll see changes within some future beta push that reflect more what we're testing now internally, but of course it's possible that won't be the final implementation either.

Damit! Now I have to eat my words.
Oh well... someone pass me the ketchup.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]