Diablo® III

Analysis of Re-rolling/ Character Alteration

The problem is apparently a lack of negative feedback on the traditional cost/benefit behavior of altering, or 're-rolling', characters. While the Benefit is clearly high (character alteration with mild limitation), the Cost is not enough for some, resulting for them in an imbalanced ratio. Previous Costs involved in repetition and replay appear to has unexpected beneficial factors in extending entertainment value. The key is to find the attributes of Cost that are appealing so that they may be conserved, without the encumbrance of any archaic or excessive Costs, which might appeal only to an extreme minority.
The quantified costs are:
  • 1. Repeating old scenarios (may be considered cost if continuous arrival of new scenarios is implemented)
    2. Lack of skill variety during play
    3. Lack of item variety during play (assuming appropriate items have not been reserved)
    4. Time consumption to achieve previous level (not to be confused with desired level)

• As time consumption is the only cost being sought preservation, a possible solution would be a time scaling mechanism integrated to proportionately adjust for the time consumption desired by the player. While a casual player may desire to complete a character in 6-8 months, a dedicated player may desire to prolong character completion -thereby extending entertainment value-, possibly to a length of 5-7 years.

As End Game activities are arbitrarily precluded as a benefit to the dedicated gamer cohort, it is conceivable that some may desire to scale completion time to the limit of infinity.

If more immediate costs are desired, you could always shoot yourself in the foot whenever you alter your character, thus improving you cost/benefit ratio.
    Reply Quote
    Random events could be a big factor into it, actually.
    Reply Quote
    Edited for spam.
    Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 12:33 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Translation:

Since the new skill system eliminates many mandatory rerolls that were in the earlier games, the total time players spend playing Diablo 3 may now be much shorter than desired. A way to compensate for this might be to stretch out the time it takes for a player to "complete" a single character.
    Reply Quote
    Edited for spam.
    Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 12:36 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    10/07/2011 03:09 PMPosted by Jacka
    so because i dont have to pay somebody to rush me, and then go through a bunch of power leveling, the game wont last as long?

More like because you have no reason to be rushed, the game won't last as long.

I for one would not have played nearly as much D2 if I didn't have to level a new character for each unique build I wanted to make (but I play mostly SP, so creating and leveling a new character was a big commitment).

That said, I don't have nearly as much time as I used to have to play Diablo, so if that's the way they go I guess I'll survive...

The need to create only one of each character class is detrimental to replayability, there's no arguing that. But I really think Blizzard needs to find more interesting incentives to encourage people to reroll rather than just to make a new build. Personally I think people with 10 level 60 characters (or whatever the max character number per account is) should unlock the ability to create an additional character on the account (and continuing doing so up to a reasonable maximum), and perhaps be given the option to purchase additional stash pages up to a reasonable maximum.

Just a couple of suggestions off the top of my head - you need things that don't provide a large enough advantage to force everyone to do them, but enough of a bonus to make them worthwhile.

Edit: After re-reading the OP, I'm still as confused as everyone else at what he was getting at and I don't think I really addressed the topic. My bad. /shrug
    Edited by Robes on 10/7/2011 3:26 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Warrior
    Some of us did not only graduate high school.
    Reply Quote
    A system that forces you to re-roll more often is a weak replacement for additional content when it comes to extending entertainment value.

Also, displaying a broad vocabulary doesn't improve the perception of your intelligence if you don't use the words correctly.
    Reply Quote
    The problem with D2 was the character building process was only engaging and entertaining the first time, then it became a chore. If in D3 they can replace that time with more engaging and challenging opportunities in inferno, then I don't see any problems. Lets wait and see the unknowns of D3 before making any conclusions.
    Reply Quote
    85 Draenei Paladin
    the perception of a very long time ..or a huge time investment to complete a character .. may appeal to a minority of gamers but there are people who do want to finish a hero and move on..

the game is not built for the people who put in large amounts of playtime daily .. for years .. it is tuned for more casual gamers who do like to finish gearing up at some point
    Reply Quote
    I still don't understand why people think this way.

If you liked rerolling chars, SUCCESS!, then do it, nobody is stopping you. Actually Blizzard is encouraging it through unique reactions from different character classes throughout the storyline.
    If you didn't, SUCCESS!, you no longer have to.

WIN-WIN

Can you please tell me your problem again?
    Reply Quote
    Hey, I just translated it. I'm not saying it myself.

I suspect the OP wrote it that way just a a semi-trollish joke, to see if people could figure it out.
    Edited by Xanthippus on 10/7/2011 5:04 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    The problem is apparently a lack of negative feedback on the traditional cost/benefit behavior of altering, or 're-rolling', characters. While the Benefit is clearly high (character alteration with mild limitation), the Cost is not enough for some, resulting for them in an imbalanced ratio. Previous Costs involved in repetition and replay appear to has unexpected beneficial factors in extending entertainment value. The key is to find the attributes of Cost that are appealing so that they may be conserved, without the encumbrance of any archaic or excessive Costs, which might appeal only to an extreme minority.
    The quantified costs are:
  • 1. Repeating old scenarios (may be considered cost if continuous arrival of new scenarios is implemented)
    2. Lack of skill variety during play
    3. Lack of item variety during play (assuming appropriate items have not been reserved)
    4. Time consumption to achieve previous level (not to be confused with desired level)

• As time consumption is the only cost being sought preservation, a possible solution would be a time scaling mechanism integrated to proportionately adjust for the time consumption desired by the player. While a casual player may desire to complete a character in 6-8 months, a dedicated player may desire to prolong character completion -thereby extending entertainment value-, possibly to a length of 5-7 years.

As End Game activities are arbitrarily precluded as a benefit to the dedicated gamer cohort, it is conceivable that some may desire to scale completion time to the limit of infinity.

If more immediate costs are desired, you could always shoot yourself in the foot whenever you alter your character, thus improving you cost/benefit ratio.

you took a long time to say a whole lot of nothing
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]