Diablo® III

Why aren't there mutiple PVP Game types?

I have a REALLY hard time understating why Blizzard of all companies would limit us to JUST ONE type of PVP game-play. Every other game blizzard has made, and I'd even go as far to say EVERY popular multiplayer game has had a variety of game types. (including mods)

Why not allow 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, FFA, Sudden death, 3 lives, multiple lives, duels in PvE world, and more varied PVP combat? What possible reason do they have for constraining us to one type of gameplay? I just don't get it??! It would only take a very slight changes in parameters, to allow all of these.

SC2 has custom maps and 1v1, 2v2, FFA etc, WOW has multiple types, Call of Duty sells billions world wide and has TONS of game types. Why haven't they learned from long experience that variety breathes longevity? FAN made PVP modded arenas with tweaks for balance, and custom PVP games would be ton of fun but Bizzard seems to have changed it's long history of supporting mods.

...Dissapointed in the "New Blizzard"
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 11:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Pvp is not the main focus of Diablo.
Reply Quote
PvP is a bonus, not a core item.

PvP in Diablo 2 was a joke. At least we have dedicated arenas now :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
let them get the game out ..then they can build pvp into content patches.

one thing you won't see is hostile or non concent pvp.. if you are going to pvp someone ..they will be ready for you .
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Straight up PvP brings more crying and whining then any other thing that a game can have. I mean look D3 isn't even released yet and people are already crying.
Reply Quote
10/07/2011 04:31 PMPosted by Jman
I know some PvE guys shudder at the thought of competitive play, but a lot of us really enjoy it.

And as others have already pointed out, competitive PvP (i.e., people who are ready for you) will be included at launch in the form of the Arena, with additions to follow in subsequent patches.

As you say, Blizzard should not just drop PvP, and they obviously agree with you. I'm sure that D3's arena is taking far more development effort than D2's "PvP system" ever did.
Reply Quote
Ultimately, it comes down to development time. They can only put in so much by release, and the main focus of the Diablo universe has always been the PvE game; it makes sense that that would absorb the majority of their design innovation and programming attention.

Just because some sore losers use forums like these for their QQ, doesn't mean Blizzard should just drop PvP as some fringe element. (like diablo 2)

I know some PvE guys shudder at the thought of competitive play, but a lot of us really enjoy it. No matter how stale the PvE scene gets, PvP is constantly changing. Each match can be completely different from the next. People do crazy, unexpected, and even brilliant things. That is what makes it fun.

PvP has always been a fringe element of the Diablo universe. It was never focused and most certainly never balanced. It makes more sense from a development standpoint to not completely re-invent the formula that made previous games in the series so popular.

It should be, magic hunting 24/7 is not fun for everyone... I would also like to see it be used in Lan tournaments if good enough! I just hope maybe in the expansion they will focus a lot on PvP, after taking all the information and feedback from the original version.

"It should be" is an opinion. You're right, grinding for gear is not for everyone, but it is at the core of what makes the Diablo franchise what it is. The arena system is already indication that Blizzard is trying to cater to the PvP crowd more than they have in the past, but it still doesn't make sense for them to turn the entire thing into a PvP-centric game.
Edited by SyxxByNyne on 10/7/2011 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you really like PvP so much, why not play a game that isn't going to be awful for it? It's Diablo. You can get Team Fortress for free. The damage scaling in Diablo completely negates any sort of possible PvP balance. They're adding PvP stuff eventually, this is just early beta. It'll happen, but it'll always be a joke when people are gonna run around 1 shoting each other with ranged attacks.

The lack of hostile mode like in D2 is a good thing. They're not going to focus too much on PvP, but there'll probably be duels and other things introduced later. It will *not* be balanced. The arena on its own is more PvP support than D2 got, that + duels will probably be as far as it goes, however. Competitive PvP isn't going to happen with this kind of setup - you'd have to nerf too much stuff into garbage. If anything, this is already way more PvP support than blizzard has ever offered.

Also, I must ask: when did Blizzard support game mods? Ever? There's a big difference between using the *extremely powerful* map editor in WC3 and the (much more difficult to use) SC2 editor and Maphack for D2 or stuff like Grid or KTM/Omen in WoW.
Edited by Jimbo on 10/7/2011 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/07/2011 04:36 PMPosted by Protoss
Pvp is not the main focus of Diablo.

It should be, magic hunting 24/7 is not fun for everyone... I would also like to see it be used in Lan tournaments if good enough! I just hope maybe in the expansion they will focus a lot on PvP, after taking all the information and feedback from the original version.

Then Diablo is not he game for you buddy.
Reply Quote
I think we'll see the Versus tab get some more content once the Campaign side of things settles in.
Reply Quote
Just because some sore losers use forums like these for their QQ, doesn't mean Blizzard should just drop PvP as some fringe element. (like diablo 2)

I know some PvE guys shudder at the thought of competitive play, but a lot of us really enjoy it. No matter how stale the PvE scene gets, PvP is constantly changing. Each match can be completely different from the next. People do crazy, unexpected, and even brilliant things. That is what makes it fun.

That's what arenas are for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]