Diablo® III

Best Gaming PC

10/06/2011 01:15 PMPosted by Izoll
Hahaha, hey granny gimmie money so I cna build a beast gaming rig. Yeah ati/amd is good I am not saying they suck, but if you want best performance for now intel/nvidia is the way to go. You never know bulldozer might surpass intel and ati/amd next card may surpass nvidia.

I'm looking forward to seeing bulldozer. AMD have been so far behind on CPU its sad.
Reply Quote
what about video cards? whats the best?
Reply Quote
Just go to newegg.com. You can find out a lot by just checking the reviews on products.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
10/06/2011 01:34 PMPosted by Cevolani
what about video cards? whats the best?

GTX 590, that'll cost you around 700 bucks I think, the 580 is somewhere around 400-500. But either of those cards will last you a long time. I don't know much about AMD cards, so I'll let someone else handle that.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
10/06/2011 01:26 PMPosted by Sabacca
Dude... look what just happened. Blizz must like AMD/ATI, cause I just got the beta!

Serious? like right now? this makes me a sad panda, lol(because I am still betaless of course), but congrats =D
Reply Quote
Hahaha, hey granny gimmie money so I cna build a beast gaming rig. Yeah ati/amd is good I am not saying they suck, but if you want best performance for now intel/nvidia is the way to go. You never know bulldozer might surpass intel and ati/amd next card may surpass nvidia.

I'm looking forward to seeing bulldozer. AMD have been so far behind on CPU its sad.

There's already performance rumours out for Bulldozer if you haven't looked yet. They should be fairly accurate.

The high end bulldozer will be similar performance to intel 2600k, better and worse in some situations. However, it will be available at a 2500k price, so it's good value.

Later in the month intel is releasing 2700k, just to make sure they stay ahead of bulldozer in performance, but its going to be a bit more expensive than 2600k, so not much point really.

AMD will continue to be better value. Intel will continue to be better maximum performance (except of course for workloads utilizing many cores, since AMD has more for lower cost).
Edited by HeftyStyle on 10/6/2011 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/06/2011 01:42 PMPosted by Beardasaurus
Dude... look what just happened. Blizz must like AMD/ATI, cause I just got the beta!

Serious? like right now? this makes me a sad panda, lol(because I am still betaless of course), but congrats =D

Yeah, i'm excited about it!

As for AMD video cards, series 69XX is their top of the line right now.
Reply Quote
Get a 580, instead of a 590.

You don't need more than a 580 for Metro, or Witcher 2 with ubersampling.

Two 580s SLI will clock higher than a 6990 or 590.

When prices drop, you can pick up another 580, and come out with more performance for the same price.
Reply Quote
10/06/2011 01:51 PMPosted by Sabacca

you sir are right about ATI series
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

For some games 69xx does perform better but in general most games perform better on gtx590 and it is plastered on many reputable benchmarking sites as well as on internet in general that gtx590 is strongest card int he world as of right now.

hands down though ati/amd will give you the best performance for lowest price though.
Edited by Izoll on 10/6/2011 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's already performance rumours out for Bulldozer if you haven't looked yet. They should be fairly accurate.

The high end bulldozer will be similar performance to intel 2600k, better and worse in some situations. However, it will be available at a 2500k price, so it's good value.

Later in the month intel is releasing 2700k, just to make sure they stay ahead of bulldozer in performance, but its going to be a bit more expensive than 2600k, so not much point really.

AMD will continue to be better value. Intel will continue to be better maximum performance (except of course for workloads utilizing many cores, since AMD has more for lower cost).

Nice I will check it out now thanks.
Reply Quote
You can easily make a computer these days (tower only), that is ~$800 that will play any game out there on highest possible settings, for 2-3 years, and hold its own for 5 years. I tested the BattleField 3 beta (boring), I run it Ultra @ 2048x1152, smooth framerate, my tower would cost around $500. Oh and SLI/Crossfire are entirely unnecessary, a top end single GPU card will be extreme overkill for any game, no matter the res or settings, and SLI/Crossfire introduce a ton of random glitches, micro-studdering, corruption, no-support, etc.
Reply Quote
10/06/2011 01:26 PMPosted by Sabacca

What?!?! uhhhh mmmm wow amd/ati cards sure are neato. even though I use nvidia I always liked ATI's.... uhmm..... pretty red color scheme.

(ps im ready to download beta whenever bliz fyi ty)
Reply Quote

For some games 69xx does perform better but in general most games perform better on gtx590 and it is plastered on many reputable benchmarking sites as well as on internet in general that gtx590 is strongest card int he world as of right now.

hands down though ati/amd will give you the best performance for lowest price though.

You sir are misinformed. The GTX 590 is slower on average than the 6990 because it is severely underclocked since the Fermi architecture sux power like no tomorrow, and AMDs cards are more effient for games. The GTX 590 is 2 severely underclocked GTX 580s, the 6990 is to fully clocked 6970s.

2 GTX 580 > 2 HD 6970
1 GTX 590 < 1 HD 6990

GTX 580 is generally faster than the HD 6970, but they had to downclock the cores like 25%, so you get a theoretical 50% perf boost, before scaling imperfections. The only reason to get a GTX 590 is if your motherboard sux and doesn't have 2 PCI X16 lanes, but if you are dropping $700-$1000 on a video card, you aren't going to have a crappy motherboard. Nvidia claims the GTX 590 is faster, but it is only faster in certain circumstances tailored to favor Nvidia. On average, the HD 6990 is faster hands down. Also the power regulation hardware on the GTX 590 sux, and is barely capable of running the card.
Edited by Xeridea on 10/6/2011 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

You sir are misinformed. The GTX 590 is slower on average than the 6990 because it is severely underclocked since the Fermi architecture sux power like no tomorrow, and AMDs cards are more effient for games. The GTX 590 is 2 severely underclocked GTX 580s, the 6990 is to fully clocked 6970s.

2 GTX 580 > 2 HD 6970
1 GTX 590 < 1 HD 6990

GTX 580 is generally faster than the HD 6970, but they had to downclock the cores like 25%, so you get a theoretical 50% perf boost, before scaling imperfections. The only reason to get a GTX 590 is if your motherboard sux and doesn't have 2 PCI X16 lanes, but if you are dropping $700-$1000 on a video card, you aren't going to have a crappy motherboard. Nvidia claims the GTX 590 is faster, but it is only faster in certain circumstances tailored to favor Nvidia. On average, the HD 6990 is faster hands down. Also the power regulation hardware on the GTX 590 sux, and is barely capable of running the card.

I know MSI specifically made one to be the worlds most powerful, but as for the original, gtx590 I am pretty sure was crowned as worlds most powerful currently... Idk maybe I am misinformed...

And if you want to get techincal about that I am rather sure Asus Mars II is the fastest card in the world you can buy which is 2 GTX 580 in 1 card granted its like 1500 dollars
Edited by Izoll on 10/6/2011 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
everything I've read lately says that the Nvidia high end cards are the best right now. But that doesn't mean that the AMD's are very far behind.

As for SLI, I have heard way way way to many negatives about it to use it. The GTX 580 will run any game out now in ultra, just make sure you get a good amount of cooling and airflow throughout your rig.

EDIT:: My friend just got a AMD 6970 for 350 bucks, and it runs everything he throws at it beautifully, so either one of those cards should meet your needs.

I have a GTX 560, it runs BF3 beta in Ultra, but it heats up pretty fast. So I keep it at high. I also run a dual monitor config, so I'm pretty sure that eats up some of my gpu too.
Edited by Beardasaurus on 10/6/2011 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

2 GTX 580 > 2 HD 6970
1 GTX 590 < 1 HD 6990

I know MSI specifically made one to be the worlds most powerful, but as for the original, gtx590 I am pretty sure was crowned as worlds most powerful currently... Idk maybe I am misinformed...

And if you want to get techincal about that I am rather sure Asus Mars II is the fastest card in the world you can buy which is 2 GTX 580 in 1 card granted its like 1500 dollars

I know there are bound to be faster versions, ASUS Mars etc, but they will have more robust power management, and require 500 watts or more, there is plenty of OC room (if they aren't 580 cores that failed full clockspeed test to keep cost down), but more than 450 watts on a single card requires an insane power draw through several power connectors, space age cooling, enormous size etc. The Mars cards are all 3 slot cards due to high cooling demand.
Reply Quote
I know there are bound to be faster versions, ASUS Mars etc, but they will have more robust power management, and require 500 watts or more, there is plenty of OC room (if they aren't 580 cores that failed full clockspeed test to keep cost down), but more than 450 watts on a single card requires an insane power draw through several power connectors, space age cooling, enormous size etc. The Mars cards are all 3 slot cards due to high cooling demand.

better to just wait for next years chipset in my opinion
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]