Diablo® III

D3 Mob AI Suggestion

Anyone remember the original goatmen mobs in Diablo 1? Remember how tricky they could get killing them if they were in large groups? The archers would kite away if you got close to them, and the melee goatmen would attempt to surround the player by circling around until they all decided to rush in together. This forced the player to use strategy to take them out unless of course the player completely overpowered them in gear. I thought this was really neat how they did that in Diablo 1.

I remember seeing the goatmen again in Diablo 2 and they didn't do any of that. Melee goatmen would just run straight to the player, and the goatmen archers were not in the game. Usually in D2 every mob would just run straight to the player without any strategy. Anyway, point is, it would be interesting to see mob AI have those types of reactions to the player again in D3, especially for the harder difficulty levels. If it's already like this, then great!

Also I'm aware of the events in the dungeons and stuff that require strategy is great, but the more advanced mobs (not all of them) using AI tactics would be sweet as well.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
FoE
Many mobs in D2 ran away while other mobs swarmed you and formed a line of defense, carver shamans most notably.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 12:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah the carvers remained the same from d1. Kill something, and they run away. Seems the same for d3 imps. But something felt missing from the advanced mobs in comparison with D1 advanced mobs.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
FoE
Not what im talking about, the shaman actively move away from you to cast fireballs/rezzes from a distance. Another good one were the gloams. They would randomly move around in a phased state so you couldnt hit them (and could barely see them) and shoot lightning at you from random places.

Also, from watching a few beta videos, the mobs in the cathedral that summon skeletons will also move away from you. I have no doubt there will be many other cases of this type of mob behavior throughout D3.
Reply Quote
Used to love goat men archers in D1. Wall of fire anyone? The acid spitting dogs were another favorite. I loved the fact that they would attack at choke points before you could actually see them......awesome awesome stuff...
Reply Quote
those acid dogs were brutal when it was a boss with minions. Spit so fast while staying really far away with a ton of damage. Hope those make a return!
Reply Quote
Anyone remember the original goatmen mobs in Diablo 1? Remember how tricky they could get killing them if they were in large groups?

Yes, and I loved them.

Acid Beasts too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]