Diablo® III

Evidence behind expansion classes.

I feel that their could be a demon and an angel in the roster. After reading these forums (which are the most entertaining) and hearing about how Sanctuarians? will be getting stronger, surely there must be demons or angels wanting to join them now that they can see them for one reason or another.

From what I understand Angels and Demons each will want to have Sanctuary on their side, to take out the other. That's why I feel they will be joining the character roster soon. I was curious about any argument for or against this.
Reply Quote
Well, technically, the people of the "sanctuarians" are called nephalem. And although it would be hard to generalize the entire movement of the nephalem is to be neutral in the war between Heaven and Hell. It was the real reason they separated.

And these "humans" are actually offspring of demons/demons, demons/angels, angels/angels. So in essence... all these characters are demon or angels

Other issues:
1. A balance issue would ensue. Would the Angel and/or Demon be more powerful that the Nephalem.

2. Story reasons. Why else would they fight? You forget that this isn't a battle just against hell. It is a battle of Nephalem to survive.

3. Why would a Demon join (unless for power) in a battle for hell... or why would an angel against Heaven.

I just don't see it working
Reply Quote
Well, technically, the people of the "sanctuarians" are called nephalem. And although it would be hard to generalize the entire movement of the nephalem is to be neutral in the war between Heaven and Hell. It was the real reason they separated.

And these "humans" are actually offspring of demons/demons, demons/angels, angels/angels. So in essence... all these characters are demon or angels

Other issues:
1. A balance issue would ensue. Would the Angel and/or Demon be more powerful that the Nephalem.

2. Story reasons. Why else would they fight? You forget that this isn't a battle just against hell. It is a battle of Nephalem to survive.

3. Why would a Demon join (unless for power) in a battle for hell... or why would an angel against Heaven.

I just don't see it working

If "The Sin War" trilogy is correct, The Humans are already nephalem, and are already in Par with Angels / Demons. An Angel may fill in the same niche the Paladin would. Whether it be an Angel or Pally, I'm thinking any playable version of these would answer to Tyrael alone. (Kinda like Cassiel's rag tag rebels in 'Supernatural')

I'm thinking one of those bottom of the Barrel demons could simply find the Humans better "overlords" than the more powerful demons and decide to fight along side them. Think of a Playable fallen, Fetish or Scavenger reaching levels reserved for Hell. (They could start out as melees but their upper end skills are spell casters)

There's also the whole atoner aspect, Lachdanan was essentially turned into a demon, and maintained his "Goodness". Black Guard could fill in the Paladin class as well, basically the males start out as unarmored version of what ever Lachdanan is, their females are melee corrupted Rogues. (which also brings the nostalgic feel of playing what is lorewise a D1 character)
Reply Quote
I could see this part. But I have always wondered why there weren't more neutral demons and angels in the sanctuary. Or maybe their is and nobody writes about them? I don't know. Sounds like a lot of work ahead of Blizzard if they go that road

Wouldn't they have to recton some of it in then?
Reply Quote
The whole "Humans are Angel / Demon Hybrids" Was a major ret-connage by Richard Knaak. What IS corruption in light of this fact? Pre- sin war Novels, It seems a lot like Zerg Infestation (even in appearance) But since Humans HAVE Demon DNA in them, what does being "Corrupted" mean? (The simple embrace of ONE heritage over another)
Reply Quote
Since the entire effect of having the worldstone 'incapacitated' as it were, its possible that when on sanctuary the lines drawn between what makes one a nephalem an angel and a demon might get sorta blurred. So yeah, its possible we may be able to play as a demon-or-angel-like-thing.
OR... following the same logic, in the expansion there may be added 'choices' like whether you choose to be a more heaven aligned nephalem or you know...

I persoanlly wanna have the big B.A. angel wings like tyraels or some weird demonic augmentation. since the idea is to (in the game) have all three basically be eqaul in terms of mettle and magic.
I'm confident there will be something along those lines popping up. if not, whatever.
Reply Quote
I persoanlly wanna have the big B.A. angel wings like tyraels...

Collectors Edition. AHHH YEAH!!!
Reply Quote
Some very interesting/good feedback, thank you. Learning more everyday. I do feel the reasons to have a demon on your side are endless and viable now, and the angel on our side is less likely. Seems the demonic reasons are endless.
-we have their dna already.
-they would join us to gain power on the team they think will win (or at least they could use as a means to an end.)
-they have a grudge against angels (enemy of enemy is your friend.)
-a group of us (town, army) got corrupted and won the fight, or were saved, against/from said corruption.
Reply Quote
Diablo devs have stated many times that the heroes of the Diablo games *have* to be human. It's one of the major themes of the entire Diablo series - mortal men and women up against the forces of the burning hells. If you don't believe me, look at the footage from Blizzcon 2010 where they talk about the Demon Hunter. One of the original designs was a Demon that hunted Demons, or a half-demon mortal. They scrapped both ideas despite liking it, because they felt that the Diablo series has to be centered around a party of heroes.
Reply Quote
What we really need to see is something along the lines of a battle cleric of Westmarch or some such. So far most of the classes through out the series correlate very closely with standard dungeons and dragons base classes. We have seen almost all of those classes so far besides clerics, psychic casters and (god help us) bards.

A cleric would fit in perfectly for an expansion class with unrivaled healing powers for group play, the ability to turn, control and command undead and possibly demons, buffs and direct damage ranged spells. The addition of certain spells being linked to melee attacks could really make for a fun armored spell casting class.

Additionally I mentioned a psychic casting class, which would also be a good fit, although I'm not sure where it would fit in lore wise. Powerful telekinesis, mind controlling, energy shielding, minor healing powers and time and space bending movement would make for an interesting counterpoint to the classic wizard/sorcerer that has always been present in the series.

These concepts would fall with-in the "nephalem" story restrictions and would make for cool new takes on the classics that permeate this franchise.
P.S. please don't put a bard class in diablo....ever. (although an April fools day joke could be good)
Reply Quote
Here is an idea i've brought up in this thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3078067909?page=4

Example of mechanics around that class:
If your dark ressource is topped and your light is empty (e.g. instead of costing X dark ressource, an ability would reduce X light ressource) then your ultimate light abilities would be avalaible for use, and when using it, it would bring you back to a balance between powers. Vice-versa.

The lore behind them could be that the ''corrupted paladins'' (i don`t know how to name them, don`t think i want it to be like a paladin since im using the paladin term) does not serve heaven nor hell. He is the true representation of humans (nephalems) in general. There is both good and bad in every of them. They (holy-dark knight) learned how to control both powers by having them to struggle ''inside'' of them. They use these powers for their how purpose.
Try to not bring old classes back, they are plain and simply OLD. It may be a harsh way to say it but if you want a necro, you can go play D2.

Imagine the DH ressource globe. It could be similar. You start with full ressource for both dark and light.

Lets say you use the ability ABC, which is a dark ability. It reduces your light energy by 20, but it also increases your dark energy by 20 when it is not capped.
Why? Well people could just lower both their dark and light and BOOM big spells. Which is not the goal, since you want to always go back to a balance. When you want to reach a balance, you need extremes.

When reaching 0 light energy, your light energy would have an increased effect. Lets say, lorewise, that the light power within you wants to overcome the darkness, thus it becomes more powerful than if you were at balance. At first, i've thought that ultimate would bring you back to a balance between powers but then i asked myself, how would a lvl 1 reach balance?
You can see it like the monk 3 fist/punches combos. The combo would be here to decide which power you want to deplete in order to increase the power of the other ressource.

Example:

Ability ABC (a dark ability) reduces holy energy by 10 and increases dark by 10 if not capped. When you reach 0 light energy, you will not be able to use any dark ability until you use a light ability to replenish your light ressource.
The light ability would completly replenish the depleted ressource and its power would be increased (you want to keep a balance between light and darkness so you use greater light ability in order to overcome the difference between light and darkness - lore sidenote for you guys out there)

The abilities that deplete the opposing ressource would not be apart of the big ''cds'' a bit like the monk's spirit generators. Although the spirit generator category would be for both dark and light category.
I could clearly see runes changing/increasing/etc. the greater effect of an ability which is used as a replenisher.

Abilities would be divided in these 3 categories:
Dark, light, humanity

An example of abilities under humanity would be:

Dual avatar

Your dark and light abilities deal their increased effects.In addition, your attack and defense are increased by 15%. Last 15 seconds.
120 seconds cooldown.

Opposed collision

Opposite light and dark ennergy rush at each other, pushing ennemies on their path to the targeted area until they collide dealing 250% weapon damage.
20 second cooldowns.
Consume 20 light and 20 dark energy.
(The cd is there so it wouldnt be overused to drop both light and dark)

Self-workshipper

For the next 10 seconds, your attack speed is increased by 15% and your movement speed by 30%,

30 seconds cooldown

Conversion

The corrupted paladin (or whatever his/her name would be) converts to the opposite power.
e.g. He has 100 light and 15 darkness, after the ability is used he would have 15 light and 100 darkness.
6 seconds cooldown (why such a short cd? well the boost for replenishment wouldnt be that op, it also complements other passive I will explain below)

Some passive abilities could include:

Balanced power

Increase your damage done by X% when the difference between ressources is less than 30 (if we keep the max of 100 of earlier, that would mean this passive won't work if you go below 70 of a ressource)
This could be an opposite playstyle to the ''deplete one ressource to increase the other''. Yes you would loose the boost but all your attacks in general would be increased.

Darkness prevails

When your light ressource is under 50 energy, the critical strike chance of your dark abilities is increased by 5%.

Bastion of Light

When your dark ressource is under 50 energy, you receive 35% less damage.

Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
That fact that I play a lock makes no difference as the next class in the first D3 expansion will be a demon summoner. D2 had a Necromancy character that manipulated the "dead" against the three evils. I'm sure the novelists @ Bliz can whip up a triple agent fallen human/demon/shapeshifter that controls, commands and summons "demons" to defeat the three evils in the act of betrayal; using hellish powers against hell for the characters own revenge. Maybe the Prime evils promised him power and never followed through?

Or, maybe the demon class could have multiple demon forms to choose from which the character would transform into, each with its own abilities or specs/skills.... with additional minion demons?? WTHeck! Everyone would play this over and over again!

Since demons "possess" people it would make a great DoT class along with its summoning abilities. All With abilities to give enemies, nightmares curses and diseases, or turn against their own kind or even possess an enemy to tear its own flesh off??? Legitimately, you could then have an AoE disease pestilence curse. Then AoE possess enemies to eat attack and eat each other to spread and intensify or "stack" the disease damage. The list goes on and on.
Reply Quote
The demon class could be a nephalem the soulstones were originally tested on before being used. The low level demon that was put inside the nephalem wasn't powerful enough to keep control of his host once the worldstone was destroyed? I think this coupled with the idea to have his powers be similar to the Archon ability of the wizard (transform and give certain specs/abilities) would be awesome. Say have 3 different transform abilities that didn't have a timer but a cooldown between transformatoins, that way the player could spec out to whatever transformation best suited the current conditions.
Edited by Sherloc on 3/9/2012 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
In every Diablo game so far we "only" played as nephalem, humans. I don't see that changing in an expansion. I'm gonna guess some sort of shape-shifter will be a new class, maybe they add something new and fresh, like the WD and DH or Monk, because they felt fresh and new to me, at least when they were announced.

10/18/2011 02:04 PMPosted by MOOT
I feel that their could be a demon and an angel in the roster.

That feels very unlikely to me:

Demons:

• There are so many already running around near New Tristram, just imagine how much the people of New Tristam might appreciate a demon. They'd fight the demon and then keep on doing their business.

• Most of the demons are just like trash for the Prime and Lesser Evil. They kinda don't have a real personality, it seems like, as if they'd just be toys. They're just mindlessly following their leader. They get tortured all day long, I doubt that some of the would actually have the power to fight against them.

• Maybe some demons started a rebellion against Azmodan and Belial, but most of them probably died, so.. It just seems so unlikely.

• What kind of spells would a demon have? Most of them just punch you. Even the big ones, for example Diablo in D2, don't have many spells. It'd have to be some really special Demon to fill that spell-gap.

• Angels:

• That'd be too badass, even for Diablo 3.

• They are so rare, we've only seen 2 in the Diablo games, Tyrael and Hadrel ( that guy who's chilling at the River of Flames). Who knows if we'll see some more Angels in D3, maybe then they won't be that rare? The opening cinematic kinda claims a big battle with tons of demons and angels, so we'll see.

• Imagine how Blizzard would want to explain to us why an Angel would seek for the "falling star". "Have you seen my keys?" "It fell on the old cathedral, you should speak to Leah", I'm sorry, that felt funny to me. :)

• They seem to be filled with so much pride, doing these mortal jobs that nephalem have to do just wouldn't be worth their time, that's my guess.

• I feel like the gear would visually be an issue as well. You get the idea.

• What kind of spells has a regular angel? I guess spells for angels can be easier found than spells for demons, but still..
  • Edited by D3BETA on 3/11/2012 6:14 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]