Diablo® III

What's the point of Inferno Bosses

if loot will be even across all monsters on a difficulty?

It doesn't matter how difficult Inferno is, bosses are undeniably harder or at least take much longer to kill than normal creeps and this has held true in Diablo II as well. If loot tables are distributed evenly across all monsters (with preferences to rares), then wouldn't people just play Inferno through once for the achievement and just skip the bosses in Inferno from then on?

Understandably, some would want challenge and go back to down the bosses in Inferno. But from a gear farming PoV, it would be much more efficient to just go around killing monsters with the opportunity to run into events and rares than to grind bosses with a higher chance of dying and a longer time investment.

I can totally understand Blizz not wanting D3 to just be a Baal/Meph/Cow Level grindfest like D2 was, but perhaps give us so some incentive to do bosses so that they aren't skipped over?

Possible solution:

Introduce a system where you are more likely to find high grade rare items as you progress through Acts, where you have to clear a considerable (designated?) amount of each Act, including the Act boss, before you progress.
Edited by Juneau on 10/27/2011 6:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1. Achievements
2. Knowing you can beat them
3. Progressing through Inferno.
Reply Quote
1. Achievements

0 replayability.

"Hey let's make the most badass boss encounters ever to have players play through them once okay maybe twice for the achievements and forget about them"
Reply Quote
66 Goblin Warlock
1. Achievements

I think that in most games, these things would be enough. But given the purported difficulty of Inferno, it seems unlikely that the bosses will become farmable in anywhere near the capacity seen in D2.

As such, it seems reasonable that the rewards for these encounters would be greater than those of normal monsters. I want to make clear that I'm referring only to bosses/monsters in Inferno difficulty.
Reply Quote
I think you'll find that on Inferno, Bosses are not very much harder than standard enemies. They are the same level as all the standard enemies (61). They have *slightly* higher drop rates as well.

Inferno is supposed to be essentially uniform difficulty across all areas, acts, and encounters. Bosses are not supposed to be 'more attractive' nor 'less attractive' to kill than standard enemies when it comes to item farming.

If people are avoiding bosses like wildfire on Inferno, Blizzard will make them easier to kill or slightly increase their drop rate until an equilibrium is reached. Likewise, if people are focusing too much on 'boss runs', Blizzard will nerf their drops or increase their difficulty slightly, until an equilibrium is reached.
Reply Quote
There are 3 tiers of gear per difficulty. Like explained at blizzcon Q&A.. An item of T3 quality in Hell with certain random generated stats may still be better than an item from T1 of Inferno difficulty. Which I highly doubt would be the case, if I remember correctly it was explained as in the same difficulty. I could however imagine a T2 item randomly generated stats from Inferno being better than an T3 item from Inferno because you didn't get the stats you exactly wanted. You will fit them in according to your play style of course.

Example: Shard of Woe from Heroic Sinestra being pretty much best in slot over any trinket in Firelands. According to play style and specs and number theorycrafting.

Looks like we will just have to wait and find out.

If there were no advantage of loot then just say prestigious achievement.
Reply Quote
Rares>bosses>normal

understand?
Reply Quote
Stop looking at the game from a farming PoV and take Inferno difficulty as a whole. Inferno is just an extension of the game, a harder difficulty....bosses are a part of the game, both in story elements and the game play. That's why they are there, Inferno is not just a place to "farm" its the next step for the progression minded players.

These really aren't hard concepts to grasp.
Reply Quote
1. Achievements

0 replayability.

"Hey let's make the most badass boss encounters ever to have players play through them once okay maybe twice for the achievements and forget about them"
You lack imagination and the awe required to appreciate Diablo.
Reply Quote

0 replayability.

You lack imagination and the awe required to appreciate Diablo.
You seem really full of imagination and awe with:

1. Achievements

Full of it.
Reply Quote
Rares>bosses>normal

understand?
I gave the impression that I knew that was exactly the case in my OP.

Up your reading comprehension bro.

Stop looking at the game from a farming PoV and take Inferno difficulty as a whole. Inferno is just an extension of the game, a harder difficulty....bosses are a part of the game, both in story elements and the game play. That's why they are there, Inferno is not just a place to "farm" its the next step for the progression minded players.

These really aren't hard concepts to grasp.

Farming is the sole replayability of the game of D2 and I imagine to a huge degree in D3 as well, since we will have achievements in the form of Standards in the game as well.

So yes, when I look at replayability of the Inferno difficulty, I look at farming.
Reply Quote
I think you'll find that on Inferno, Bosses are not very much harder than standard enemies. They are the same level as all the standard enemies (61). They have *slightly* higher drop rates as well.

Inferno is supposed to be essentially uniform difficulty across all areas, acts, and encounters. Bosses are not supposed to be 'more attractive' nor 'less attractive' to kill than standard enemies when it comes to item farming.

If people are avoiding bosses like wildfire on Inferno, Blizzard will make them easier to kill or slightly increase their drop rate until an equilibrium is reached. Likewise, if people are focusing too much on 'boss runs', Blizzard will nerf their drops or increase their difficulty slightly, until an equilibrium is reached.

A ton of assumptions in your first few points for someone who probably isnt even in the Beta let alone have tried the game at Inferno.

As for your second point, the issue is that it has been stated that the drop rates will be the same across the board. Which is the focus of the thread. If they will eventually balance it out, then great.

There are 3 tiers of gear per difficulty. Like explained at blizzcon Q&A.. An item of T3 quality in Hell with certain random generated stats may still be better than an item from T1 of Inferno difficulty. Which I highly doubt would be the case, if I remember correctly it was explained as in the same difficulty. I could however imagine a T2 item randomly generated stats from Inferno being better than an T3 item from Inferno because you didn't get the stats you exactly wanted. You will fit them in according to your play style of course.

Example: Shard of Woe from Heroic Sinestra being pretty much best in slot over any trinket in Firelands. According to play style and specs and number theorycrafting.

Looks like we will just have to wait and find out.

If there were no advantage of loot then just say prestigious achievement.

That has nothing to do with the efficiency in farming loot; only that loot in general is randomised in terms of stats.

As a matter of fact, the more randomised the loot is, the more incentive you have to simply farm common mobs as opposed to having to kill bosses and remake a new game.
Reply Quote
there is no point in doing them after the first time.

Bosses have better mechanics and more attention paid to them and yet we are supposed to farm random rares.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
so what if you don't have to farm bosses .. chances are many people will still kill them .. who knows what else they will drop .. just because they don't drop the best loot doesnt mean they won't be worth farming ...as skelly king on inferno will be as hard as diablo on inferno ..

i plan to gear out my first barb pretty nicely and charge fresh 60 to carry them through inferno level ..so i will be killing bosses quite a bit
Edited by Toyodah on 10/27/2011 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

A ton of assumptions in your first few points for someone who probably isnt even in the Beta let alone have tried the game at Inferno.

As for your second point, the issue is that it has been stated that the drop rates will be the same across the board. Which is the focus of the thread. If they will eventually balance it out, then great.

You seem to be in a bad mood today...At any rate, I'm failing to see where my 'ton of assumptions' are coming from?

Fact: All enemies on Inferno, including bosses, are the same level as one another: 61
Fact: They have moderately higher drop rates than normal enemies, and lower than rares/champions

These are my main points. One assumption is below:

Assumption: Given they are the same level, unlike other difficulties where bosses are a much higher level, the gap in difficulty between a boss and a normal enemy won't be anywhere near as close to what we saw in Diablo 2 (on Inferno).

Honestly, neither of us have played the game on Inferno - and in saying that bosses are going to be 'undeniably' harder than normal enemies, then referencing Diablo 2, you're making just as much an assumption...

Blizzard have clearly stated their intentions that boss runs are not supposed to be more attractive nor less attractive than farming items in other areas of the game. Every area of the game should be equally viable for farming items. If this isn't the case upon release (which it no doubt won't be), they'll tweak it until it is.
Edited by Eternity on 10/27/2011 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/27/2011 05:59 PMPosted by Juneau
If loot tables are distributed evenly across all monsters (with preferences to rares)

Rares>bosses>normal

understand?

I gave the impression that I knew that was exactly the case in my OP.

Up your reading comprehension bro.

Are you sure you did? He just pointed out what you didn't list in your post.

If you are just farming then yes, it provides a better drop chance if you hunt down Champs and Rares. You still have to find them though, where as bosses are always where you know them to be. Time spent Finding RM/Champs vs Drops over time.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i actually think i got my fill of boss farming in wow .. i am much happier having the option to kill everything when i want to
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]