Diablo® III

Mephisto's 6-Remaining Soulstones

As most people know, Mephisto's primary soulstone was destroyed at the hellforge in DII. But the vast majority of people are unaware that Mephisto's orginal soulstone was in-fact shattered into 7 shards, the largest shard possessed the Que-Hegan, (Kalim's successor Sankekur) and gave rise to Mephisto.

The remaining 6-shards were thrust into the Zakarum's Archbishops, which later became the council members the hero's encounter in DII. My question is, what happened to the 6-remaining soulstones? They simply vanished, after the events of DII.

And as we all know, the soulstones can only be destroyed in the place they were created.... so... that leaves us with a loose end as to the true fate of the Eldest Prime Evil.

It would be interesting to see Blizzard tie up this loose end, or better yet provide another interesting gateway for Mephisto to return. We will just have to wait and see...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Unlikely...

1) Where did u get the information about those 7 shards, and the stone being shatteresd? I dont recall that form the books nor the game...if you could plz enlighten us with some link it would be nice.

2)The cinematic on Diablo 2 is preety clear, and it shows the hero destroying a blue and a red soulstone, probably the same size, wich means that mephisto's soulstone was indeed intact, and not shattered like u mentioned...Maybe this could be an inconsistence from the lore...i doubt it though.

3)If i'm not wrong the soulstone can only be destroyed in the hellforge, with that hammer that drops from the boss there. However, it doesn't seem that the stones were first created there though. I mean, why would the stones be created in Hell? By Who? Tyrael? Cuz the stones are probably made from shards of the Worldstone, which were located inside Sanctuary. However, it was located in the Pandemonium before sanctuary even existed. So it could be that way....go figures.
Reply Quote
Unlikely...

1) Where did u get the information about those 7 shards, and the stone being shatteresd? I dont recall that form the books nor the game...if you could plz enlighten us with some link it would be nice.

2)The cinematic on Diablo 2 is preety clear, and it shows the hero destroying a blue and a red soulstone, probably the same size, wich means that mephisto's soulstone was indeed intact, and not shattered like u mentioned...Maybe this could be an inconsistence from the lore...i doubt it though.

3)If i'm not wrong the soulstone can only be destroyed in the hellforge, with that hammer that drops from the boss there. However, it doesn't seem that the stones were first created there though. I mean, why would the stones be created in Hell? By Who? Tyrael? Cuz the stones are probably made from shards of the Worldstone, which were located inside Sanctuary. However, it was located in the Pandemonium before sanctuary even existed. So it could be that way....go figures.

1) I believe the source comes from the sin wars or the DII manual, but I've seen it quoted several times when pertaining to the Zakarum.
Ill look for an exact source and update but this should suffice for the moment.
<http://www.diablowiki.net/Lord_of_Hatred> "Modern Days"

2) Yes the soulstone you see destroyed in DII is the largest shard of the soulstone that was shoved into the Zakarum's leader at the time, also known as a Que-Hegan; but the smaller shards are still unaccounted for. I am unaware if this is canon or not, but if it is that means the soulstones are still unaccounted for.

3) Yes the soulstones can only be destroyed at the hellforge based on canon, so if the shards remain then they are still unaccounted for. I'll try and look for an exact source...
Reply Quote
I assumed they simply were destroyed when the council members were killed.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
It is clearly stated in Act III in one of the quest about Mephisto shattering his soulstone into 7 pieces giving Que-Hegan the largest piece and taking the form of Mephisto.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
perhaps these shards were too small for mephisto's soul to inhabit in any significant manner. So while fraction's of his soul may remain they are too weak to accomplish anything.
Reply Quote
11/01/2011 06:34 PMPosted by Lorkanthal
perhaps these shards were too small for mephisto's soul to inhabit in any significant manner. So while fraction's of his soul may remain they are too weak to accomplish anything.

Individually yes. But if they were all manifested in the same place at one time... say a human host, the end results might be interesting. I guess it would all come down to the combined mass/power of the shards equaling that of mephisto's original soulstone. (Which is potentially possible).

We know individually, the shards were powerful enough to corrupt the arch-bishops of Zakarum into council members. Hence, in that re-guard, they were significant enough to impact a host so it could be possessed by a powerful demon. Personally, I think its a story-arc that's often overlooked and has potential for growth.
Reply Quote
Not only Mephisto soulstones are mystery, but Diablo too look at this! This is the oldes D2 trailer i just remmember it. Thats why Diablo is a live, we never crush his real soulstone, we never kill him, he is still in the world of sancturaty and who knows who got the real stone ???? ... just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxnWjyvmpnI&feature=player_embedded
Edited by nngames on 11/2/2011 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I agree with FiveTwelve. I thought with the defeat of the the council, the other 6 shards were destroyed. When Mephisto reemerged into this world, in a physical form, he chose the Que-haegen as his manifestation, being the highest divine authority of the Zakarum faith.

The largest of all 7 shards was used on the Que-haegen with the others driven into the left palms of six High Council members. So given that the largest shard was destroyed on the hell forge, thus banishing Mephisto from Sanctuary, if the other six smaller shards were grouped together, could The Lord of Hatred return?

Honestly, I think what kept Mephisto in Sanctuary was bound to the largest chunk of the Soul Stone, and with that destroyed so too is his gateway and influence there. I'm not sure if the 7 shard concept will be restored in Diablo 3, I haven't read much in the way of where Blizzard wants to take the lore in the upcoming game, although I agree this plotline could be expanded greatly.
Reply Quote
I'm thinking just as The council members jammed the smaller soul stone fragments into their hands, maybe Blood Raven and The Summoner did the same with Diablo's soul stone and their foreheads. So all those cinematics would be right.
Reply Quote
Good idea I forgot about the other six shards. This may show up!
Reply Quote
11/29/2011 11:40 PMPosted by DirtSpider
Good idea I forgot about the other six shards. This may show up!

I hope so, I really enjoyed the story-arch with mephisto ;p
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Or maybe the heroes grabbed the shards when they killed the council members? Then shattered them along with the largest one?

Just a thought.
Reply Quote
Not only Mephisto soulstones are mystery, but Diablo too look at this! This is the oldes D2 trailer i just remmember it. Thats why Diablo is a live, we never crush his real soulstone, we never kill him, he is still in the world of sancturaty and who knows who got the real stone ???? ... just watch:

In BoC, both souls stones are shattered. Whether or not the council's soul stones were destroyed in an assumption is unclear. Perhaps they were destroyed upon killing the Council, since the soul stone was "Shattered" and not in the Hellforge, I believe it is possible to destroy them without it.

Also in the sense that you must destroy something where it was created... Cannot say that is too true since it was the Tyreal who fashioned the soul stones from the worldstone and imbued them to capture the three Primes.

In this sense, You would need the worldstone to destroy the shards completely... But like I said, that is only in the sense you can only destroy the shards where they were created.

As for the Hellforge, this was the Hellforge of Annihilation. The BoC is rather vague (Not the only thing it is vague on) about what the forge does exactly. We are just left to believe that it banishes the souls of Diablo and Mephisto to the Abyss.

To answer your question about Diablo's soul stone not being destroyed. According to the BoC and some hints in D2 Act 4, you actually grab Diablo's soul stone and take it the Hellforge of Annihilation and destroy it as well.

UPDATE:
Now lets hit the the breaks here! Aidan drops the Soul Stone out of the wagon, yet he is clearly still possessed.

Tal Rasha, Baal's host, performs the dark ritual with Mephisto and Diablo, which I could imagine takes some great power... Opening a gate to Hell and all, crossing from one plane to another... To top that off, once the gate is open, the Dark Wanderer, Aidan, transforms into the Lord of Terror, Diablo.

Neither Tal Rasha, nor Aidan have their Soul Stones and yet they are still capable of utilizing their powers and even transforming into them? With that said...

• Why does Tal-Rasha go to Marius at the end of D2 to retrieve the Yellow Soul Stone?
  • Where does Diablo's Soul Stone come from if Aidan dropped it?
  • Why didn't Baal's Soul Stone affect Marius the way Mephisto's Soul Stone affected the Que-Haegen? And simply corrupt him and force him into becoming a host?
  • Sorry to up root the topic, but I seriously hope there is a reason that a lot of us never saw that trailer... Really hope Blizzard realize that it was a HUGE plot hole.
    Edited by Letendeth on 12/27/2011 9:38 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Letendeth, im gonna take a stab at answering some of your questions.

Baal goes to Marius to get the soulstone because he needs the soul stone to put into the worldstone. The soulstone is already corrupted because once Marius took it out of Tal-Rasha's body he could now control it. He wanted to corrupt the Worldstone, most likely, so that the barriers that stopped Hell from seeing Sanctuary were destroyed, but the ones for heavan were still intact. By doing this Hell could use Sanctuary as a staging ground to corrupt the Nephalem and attack heavan.

I do not quite remember Aiden dropping the soulstone out of a wagon. If it is in a D2 cinematic tell me which one so i can figure it out.

I think the soulstone did not corrupt Marius because Baal did not want it to. There would be no reason to use Marius as a host when he is currently in the body of quite possibly the strongest Nephalem in Sanctuary. If Baal knew that Marius had his soulstone he could most likely be able to tell where it is. It would also be good for Baal to let Marius keep it, because he is so mentally instable and would easily be convinced to hand it over.

Tell me what you think of my responses
    Reply Quote
    As the theory above where mephy's stone was in 7 pieces, I don't know where that idea came from. Baal's stone was the one that was shattered, and they used the largest fragment and the sacrificial host of Tal'Rasha to contain baal inside him

Look at OP, it's from Wiki and Archives. I think it is also mentioned during Act 3. But in this sense, if Mephisto's Soul Stone was broken down to make the council members then why isn't it possible for Baal's shard (Which was broken upon his capture) to not corrupt Marius?

12/28/2011 12:51 PMPosted by Danewb
    Where is this diablos stone was lost somewhere idea coming from? sources?

I cannot take credit for this find, it was from mngames. (Just read entire thread).

12/28/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Ginzo
    I think the soulstone did not corrupt Marius because Baal did not want it to. There would be no reason to use Marius as a host when he is currently in the body of quite possibly the strongest Nephalem in Sanctuary. If Baal knew that Marius had his soulstone he could most likely be able to tell where it is. It would also be good for Baal to let Marius keep it, because he is so mentally instable and would easily be convinced to hand it over.

I actually sort of answered my own question, but not only would possessing Marius be counter productive, but impossible (in the sense of fantastic limitations). I don't think any of the Prime Evils can possess two people at the same time. I think this is reason for why the Soul Stone couldn't corrupt Marius. Baal's corruption (and I think it maybe safe to assume for all Soul Stones) cannot extend further than one primary host. I say primary because we do know that the Prime Evil's influences were used on people like Leoric and Lazarus.

Once Baal was contained in Tal Rasha, the soul stone was simply a vessel for his power rather than an actually containing Baal.

However, this leads to this can of worms.... I'd hate to see a bunch of /justcuz

Upon the transformation of Aiden into Diablo. We see a hole in his forehead, yet no Soul Stone. In fact we never see Diablo soul stone at all (Until Diablo is slain in Act 4 and the cinematic of the hero crushing it on the Hellforge). We see Mephistos and Baals at least at some point.

Aiden, just willy nillies himself into becoming Diablo without the use of the Soul Stone? Now think about this. It had been 20 years since Aiden jutted the stone into himself. Now I guess it would look mighty suspicious to be walking around with a Crimson Soul Stone sticking out of your head. But once again, 20 years had passed...

Tal Rasha had Baal's Soul Stone in his chest for 200 years! that's ten times as long as Aiden. Aiden is capable of transformation on the spot without having the Soul Stone in hand.

Possible Arguments

• Diablo's Soul Stone had been absorbed into Aiden's body, so that he may completely consume the host and be prepared for transformation at the correct time. This would explain why

Tal Rasha is unable to transform into Baal, for the Soul Stone was plunged into one of the more (most) powerful Nephaelm who was willing (and knowingly) prepared to fight the spirit.

It was also shown being removed from Tal Rasha, so we have hard physical evidence that the stone was taken from and no longer on his person.

This would also render the posted video as null, and perhaps it was just an oops on Blizzard's part.

• The Prime Evils are the only evils capable of taking human form. This is why Azmodon is just out blowing stuff up out in the open because he knows he cannot hide.

This however contradicts the idea that Belial (who we know hardly anything about) is possibly Cain. I know it's a bit of a long shot, but there is some susceptible cause to believe that it may be possible. You also do not see any of the lesser evils, nor hear/read of them taking on the form of humans.

• Diablo manifested the stone upon entering Hell. This still plays off the idea that he absorbed it, but it would explain as to why he doesn't have the stone jutting out of his forehead whilst in the form of Aiden or upon when Aiden first becomes Diablo (pre Hell portal).

Yet this brings about the idea of why didn't Tal Rasha absorb the stone?

We do know, or have reason to believe (as BoC puts it) that Aiden was traveling Eastward with the possible intent of performing an exorcism by the Zakarum Priests to have Diablo's spirit removed. Yet this may have been Diablo influencing him to simply to follow through with his plans.

• Edited by Letendeth on 12/28/2011 2:40 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    I do appreciate the response, it may seem I am more combative with the new ideas, but I think that these questions need to be answered in a factual dead-end conclusion.

I've played both D1 - D2LoD start to finish uncountable times, read the Archives and Sin Wars as well as the Book of Cain in case people were wondering where I was getting my information.

EDIT: Grammar Check

(Exceeded 5000 character in last post).
    Reply Quote
    Don't analyze this stuff too much, it doesn't even make sense with its own logic. For example, the Three were causing havoc in Sanctuary without human hosts or soulstones before the Horadrim were formed (remember, they were banished from Hell). Why do they need any of that stuff all the sudden? Because it's in the script.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]