Diablo® III

What the Cinematic means: Rundown on Azmodan

Diablo got his brothers killed in an effort to consolidate Prime Evilship in himself. Thus the two ancillary heads on D's shoulders.

Azmodan is onto him, becuase Diablo could never become the sole prime evil without the use of soulstones.

Leah is Diablo's ace in the hole, he's going to use her to create a form that holds the power of all three brothers while leaving him in control:

Thus Azmodan's words are explained:

Diablo has lured his brothers into the mortal realm where he engineered their fall. He used Azmodan's war against him and his brothers as an excuse to get his brothers in place in the mortal realm.

But Azmodan thinks he's got wise to the plan, and decides he wants to grab the Black Soulstone (the essence of all three brothers, it seems to me, that if merged with Leah will give Diablo control of the powers - or if merged with Azmodan will give him the powers (making him the prime evil)..

Two ideas as to why Leah has not yet merged with the stone and completed Diablo's master plan:

1. Angelic intervention - the meteor hitting the cathedral.

2. A question of timing - I'm quite sure whatever part of Diablo that is in Leah is small and probably half asleep, a paraplegic Diablo. He has to wait for some scripted event to lend him the ability to ascend back to primehood.
Reply Quote
Diablo was "killed" (technically just banished from the mortal realm), his soulstone shattered on the Hellforge. How do you think he could come back?
Edited by Rook on 10/21/2011 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/21/2011 07:07 PMPosted by Rook
Diablo was "killed" (technically just banished from the mortal realm), his soulstone shattered on the Hellforge. How do you think he could come back?

Maybe Leah is a loophole? Kind of like how the Ori got around the whole ascendant barriers deal by creating Adria.
Reply Quote
Strangely I interpreted it that Azmodan was speaking of Belial rather than Diablo. I feel like Azmodan was talking how Belial, the Lord of Lies, manipulated the Prime Evils, and the two lesser evils, Andariel and Duriel, to their own defeat. Since he is talking to Leah, Cain's new apprentice, he may be hinting at something we have already suggested.
Reply Quote

I think this is a big part of the storyline, so I'd assume that it's the best shrouded. That being said... I think Diablo's voice is still present in the world.

For instance, I think we'll see Leah struggling with an almost schizophrenic voice in her own head (inspired by terror). Diablo will try to scare her into assuming the black soulstone's power to defeat Azmodan (why she sees the vision).

Diablo will use terror, his tool, to inspire in Leah a fear of Azmodan beyond a fear of possible possession.

Once she assumes the black soulstone the "voice" will become much stronger, and as Leah becomes one with Diablo we'll see perhaps and eclipse of the woman we knew and a rise of the prime evil.

As far as the heads go - I believe the black soulstone represents the powers of the prime evils exiled to sanctuary, and also perhaps the surviving pieces of meph and baal (since they didn't have a stepchild to help them gain some semblance of a foothold). When Diablo takes on his form in Leah he is the single prime evil, his brother's locked within him, serving only as channels for their own power.

10/21/2011 11:29 PMPosted by Pancakes
Strangely I interpreted it that Azmodan was speaking of Belial rather than Diablo. I feel like Azmodan was talking how Belial, the Lord of Lies, manipulated the Prime Evils, and the two lesser evils, Andariel and Duriel, to their own defeat. Since he is talking to Leah, Cain's new apprentice, he may be hinting at something we have already suggested.

The whole premise of Leah seeing the vision is terror. In the end she breaks down weeping. The vision is meant to tip Leahs fear in favor of Azmodan, thinking that perhaps she can hold the power of the prime evils and use it to strike him down.

Diablo is all about that terror and manipulation. In truth Azmodan is a lesser evil, he's nothing heroes haven't faced before. He's an act1-2 level boss in gaming terms. There is no reason to fear him, unless he gets the black soulstone. :)

PS: Little notes - Seven thrones in the cinematic, seven heads to the evil dragon. But there is only one "red" seat (also looked to be the only empty one, perhaps someone with high def can check the other chairs for occupants).

I also highly doubt Tyrael will be evil in any way, or be an enemy in any way. He's in too deep with us Hoomies to back out. Inarius though? I'd bet a pretty penny Belial is having fun with some lies and perhaps working a little black magic.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior

I imagine what happened to the Worldstone has a very significant effect on just that.
Reply Quote
Why do people keep saying Leah is Cain's niece like they are blood-related? I'm pretty sure she was adopted by Cain. If they were blood related, that would mean Adria and Cain are brother and sister. Definitely not true.

http://www.diablowiki.com/Leah

Read the first line.
Reply Quote
I rather like the OP's idea. We know Diablo is the final boss and this idea could fit within the lore that's been revealed by blizzard. I recall reading something about this whole thing being a part of Diablo's plan all along.
Reply Quote
[quote]

PS: Little notes - Seven thrones in the cinematic, seven heads to the evil dragon. But there is only one "red" seat (also looked to be the only empty one, perhaps someone with high def can check the other chairs for occupants).

As for this, I remember something being said in one of the panels. Azmodan is the lord of sins, and his chief servants are the seven deadly sins. so that could match up there, but as for the red seat, I have no idea considering obvious size differences with it and Azmodan himself... lol

Edit: On second thought, they did say something about Azmodan being very ostentatious so the simple act of having a throne even though he might not be able to sit in it, is a decent way of showing off his own power as one of the 7 Evils.
Edited by Mebeblood on 10/23/2011 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm all about some diablo Lit. where did you guys get this info? is it in some of the novels???
Reply Quote

As for this, I remember something being said in one of the panels. Azmodan is the lord of sins, and his chief servants are the seven deadly sins. so that could match up there, but as for the red seat, I have no idea considering obvious size differences with it and Azmodan himself... lol

Edit: On second thought, they did say something about Azmodan being very ostentatious so the simple act of having a throne even though he might not be able to sit in it, is a decent way of showing off his own power as one of the 7 Evils.
IIRC from the lore panel Amzodan being the Lord of Sin is the ultimate manifestation of all seven but he also have seven lieutenants* that do represent each of the Seven Deadly Sins. Not six underlings with Amzodan looming above in the crimson throne. Though I difficult to determine whether if the first throne that lit up is unoccupied or not.

* Two are set to appear in game, one which was that art concept formerly known as the Mistress of Pain but was sc!*@*d until 2010's custom contest 1st place winner reinspire Blizzard bring her back as *Something*, the Maiden of Lust. Can't remember what second other demon represented.

BTW people Blizzard said the Black Soulstone a artifact of sort that the heros are tasked in protecting it from Belial and Azmodan which can be used to imprison them much like the Prime Evils centuries ago. However (IIRC) both Lesser Evils are aware of its threat before it was even discover by us (hmm, maybe alluding to something?), but it can in turn be used to increase their foul power far beyond the strength of the Prime Evils.

I'll see if I can transcribe the Lore Panel and relevant lore questions in the Open Q&A latter unless no one soon doing so now at DiabloFans or etc.

10/23/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Joe
I'm all about some diablo Lit. where did you guys get this info? is it in some of the novels???
All the Azmodan, Belial, and whatnot lore from the recent D3 lore revealed at BlizzCon 2011 just couple days ago.
Reply Quote
IIRC from the lore panel Amzodan being the Lord of Sin is the ultimate manifestation of all seven but he also have seven lieutenants* that do represent each of the Seven Deadly Sins. Not six underlings with Amzodan looming above in the crimson throne. Though I difficult to determine whether if the first throne that lit up is unoccupied or not.

* Two are set to appear in game, one which was that art concept formerly known as the Mistress of Pain but was sc!*@*d until 2010's custom contest 1st place winner reinspire Blizzard bring her back as *Something*, the Maiden of Lust. Can't remember what second other demon represented.

Interesting point. The demons we'll run into occassionally, with all the gold drops and whatnot, try and escape to a place called "Greed's domain" after all. Couldn't be just a coincidence...

And Leah's got to be Diablo's last link in the mortal realm. Whether he figured or planned on his soulstone being destroyed eventually, it would only make sense for him (as the Dark Wanderer) to plant his seed long before it were to happen.

Thing is, if this were true, who knows if he can actually control or influence her in any way. Maybe she is entirely her own entity with a bit of Diablo's power/essence, and the true Diablo is completely separate... making it possible for two completely separate forms of Diablo to somehow exist simultaneously on Sanctuary at a certain point...
Reply Quote
I think Azmodan certainly THINKS Leah is Diablo, and He seems smarter than your average Lesser evil. And wants to take advantage of the Power Vacuum left by Mephisto and Baal's demise.

Is he a red Herring? Maybe he's not as big a threat as he claims to be, but a good enough (unwitting) distraction for the hero to buy Diablo more time.

I myself am not keen on his design aesthetic, Not because he looks like a pit lord, but because he has bug like legs, Like Duriel, and Baal.

His minions also looks a lot like the armies of Baal in the D3 Teaser cinematic. OR like Sauron's armies from "Lord of the rings" made to look even more beastial. you got your raptor faced pack beasts, your Olog-Hai looking uber beasts, and the occasional flier. The fallen are apparently among his ranks, but Unlike Diablo, Baal or Andariel, there's nothing distinguishable about Azmodan's army that reflects his "nature"
Reply Quote

Thus Azmodan's words are explained:

Diablo has lured his brothers into the mortal realm where he engineered their fall. He used Azmodan's war against him and his brothers as an excuse to get his brothers in place in the mortal realm.

What the references for that statement? Some of the novels? I didn't get any hint of that by Azmodan's words (which words you talking about, the Cinematics?)

But Azmodan thinks he's got wise to the plan, and decides he wants to grab the Black Soulstone (the essence of all three brothers, it seems to me, that if merged with Leah will give Diablo control of the powers - or if merged with Azmodan will give him the powers (making him the prime evil)..

Two ideas as to why Leah has not yet merged with the stone and completed Diablo's master plan:

1. Angelic intervention - the meteor hitting the cathedral.

2. A question of timing - I'm quite sure whatever part of Diablo that is in Leah is small and probably half asleep, a paraplegic Diablo. He has to wait for some scripted event to lend him the ability to ascend back to primehood.

Leah helping Diablo?! i missed that part, and it doesn't make any sense.
But from what i understood, Leah found the Black Soulstone (probably at the Crater, at some point) and acknowledging it was something dangerous (but not quite sure what powers) she hid it, Azmodan is aware of that and is chasing her, so the heroes might have to protect her while helping her discover the truth about the Black Soulstone and if that can be used to push the demons back and remake the barrier between Sanctuary and the Burning Hells.
Reply Quote
The only real hints that I can gather is some of the phrasing Azmodan uses:

"One by one, our brethren fell into your trap" - Azmodan is clearly addressing another demon of roughly the same magnitude/order as he is. He's not talking to an angel or a mortal, otherwise he should have said "my brethren".

"I defy you!" - One cannot defy an inferior, not in the classic sense of the word. You can defy someone of equivalent rank but more than likely, the term is used to defy your superior.

As Azmodan is one of the Lesser Evils, but still a major player, the statements he makes only make sense if he is talking to another Lesser Evil or one of the Prime Evils. Leah, who's father is highly insinuated to be the Dark Wanderer, completes the puzzle because if she is indeed a vessel/stand-in for Diablo himself, she could be taking the place of Big D (perhaps greatly weakened after the events of D2) in a flashback of an encounter he had with Azmodan just prior to the events of D3.

Hence, Azmodan's claim to be THE Prime Evil would be an attack on Diablo's title as one of the Three Prime Evils. If anything, Diablo has as much reason to be afraid of Azmodan as Leah does: he's probably to weak to do anything about it at the time of the flashback. That Diablo would hide the Black Soulstone (as Azmodan knows that the stone was hidden) with his vessel (Leah) on Sanctuary makes a great deal of sense: should he return in power, he knows exactly where it is and can defend it personally.

So, my plot hypothesis: Leah has vision, meteor crashes, Tyreal/hero attempts to protect her from demonic host, stuff happens that weakens Azmodan but, unknowingly to our heroes, strengthens Diablo, PLOT TWIST: Leah IS Diablo, fight Diablo but he still gets away with Black Soulstone, Credits...wait for X-pac. Somewhere in there is a subplot regarding Belial and Inarius/Tyreal split.
Reply Quote
You know what would piss me off? If all of Diablo II was secretly a plot by Diablo to absorb Mephisto and Baal. That would honestly not make me a happy camper.

"You have defeated Diablo, smashed his soulstone at Hellforge, but really. He wanted you to kill him. So good on you."

I just think it extremely takes away from Diablo II. Its like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

"Yes, you may have defeated me this time Batman! But really, this defeat is but another step in my EVIL plans! Mwahahaha."

The plan has too many variables. How did Diablo know Baal would fall as he did and World Stone would be destroyed? What if Baal had succeeded? What if Mephisto had managed to kill the adventurers who were following the Wanderer?

I dunno man. It would honestly make too little sense.
Reply Quote
Alexander:

I think that's exactly what is going to be proposed as happening. But you treat it like a bad plot twist, and I really don't think it is.

Certainly there was probably little forethought gone into such a plot when D2 was released, but the events fit this concept.

I mean they are all devils, and rule of hell has always been up for grabs (I mean we call them "the three brothers" but really they're the same as every other of the "major" evils (the offspring of the seven heads), they just share the prime title as a method to maintain the alliance between themselves.

Diablo is touted as the evil with the most foresight and the most glee even torturing his own minions in his domain... The one commonality about the "evil" party is no aversion to backstabbing.

As far as Diablo "knowing" Baal would fall JUST after corrupting the worldstone... and then that Tyrael would destroy it...

That is probably the plot twist that postponed sanctuary's destruction/enslavement.

That is why it's taken 20 years and Diablo is still impotent. He only planned for his brothers and himself to be slain and transferred to the black soulstone. Then using his anti-christ child he would revive himself and absorb his brothers. But something about the worldstone being shattered has !@#$ed him up good.

I'm not saying I know why destroying the worldstone was bad medicine form Diablo's plans but I'm sure it was.

PS: I think Diablo knows Tyrael would never let his brothers or him succeed. He planned it out so that Tyrael or his Hodarim would bring him and his brothers down, even if it meant Tyrael breaking his word and intervening in human affairs against the devils.

But if you really hate this idea don't worry, it's just supposition and a healthy use of imagination. And in the end the story is just an excuse for really cool cinematic cut scenes, so... Don't sweat!
Reply Quote
You know what would piss me off? If all of Diablo II was secretly a plot by Diablo to absorb Mephisto and Baal. That would honestly not make me a happy camper.

Me neither. I hope Leah isn't Diablo either. Because that would mean she's playing the whole damsel in distress thing, duping us into Helping Diablo.

I DO hope this is a set up, though for Diablo's "Kick the SOB" Moment on Azmodan. I think it's gonna be the case where Diablo Helps US Protect Leah from Azmodan. (Then we kill him).
Reply Quote
mfFurious:

I'm not gonna lie man, that kind of storytelling detracts from the game. Its shotty, its uncreative, yes, I will go as far as to say it lacks creativity.

"Its like, Diablo was killed, okay guys?"

"Yea, yea. tell us more."

"But its like, he wanted to be killed, and stuff. To like, come back and abosrb his brothers, you know?"

My fear over that being the plot has largely come from the fact they are bringing Diablo back. I knew as soon as it was "Diablo" reappearing I went "!@#$, just watch them make the plot about him really WANTING the events of Diablo II."

That kind of story telling is a huge turn off. It basically makes D1 and D2 insignificant. It makes Mephisto and Baal, as well as the Lesser Evils, look retarded.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]