Diablo® III

how the heck do soulstones work?

100 Night Elf Druid
I'm confused as to what soulstones do. So originally the prime evils went around causing evils and stuffs without the need for soulstones. then one day the horadrim trapped them in soulstones.

when diablo and mephisto's soulstones were destroyed at the hellforge, it was said that they died, baal said "my brothers would not have died in vain" so why didnt the horadrim just destroy the soulstones in the first place??

Baal's soul stone was stabbed into TalRasha, Marius took it out, that freed Baal, but for some reason baal needed the soulstone back, why? It seemed like the prime evils needed the soulstones to manifest themselves but originally they didnt, whys this? When the dark wanderer stabbed diablo's soulstone into his head, he turned into diablo while keeping the soulstone there, why does Baal need marius to remove the soulstone from his body, then get it back from him???
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
so why does baal want his soulstone back after tal rasha turned into Baal himself?
Reply Quote
Pretty sure if the evil has their soul stone they are in complete control.

Without it they would still feel unsafe knowing it could be brought to hellforge and all.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
The Prime evils at some point found out that with their soul stone they could channel and call forth more power then what they could without it. They let themselves get then trapped into the stones in a long term plot to eventually get free and use the soul stone's power to strengthen themselves.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/24/2011 11:23 PMPosted by Moridias
The Prime evils at some point found out that with their soul stone they could channel and call forth more power then what they could without it. They let themselves get then trapped into the stones in a long term plot to eventually get free and use the soul stone's power to strengthen themselves.

so originally before they were trapped, they were actually weaker than they were when they were trapped?
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Well they had to have been imprisoned in a soul stone; then take over the host body in order to draw upon the strength. I wouldn't say weaker more that when controlling their own soul in the soul stone they were more powerful.
Reply Quote
I don't know how accurate my view on Soulstones is, but that's what I came up with:
Originally, the Prime Evils Came to Sanctuary (the Dark Exile) intervening directly in the mortal realm, knowing from Izual that Tyrael would try to halt them with Soulstones (shards of the Worldstone).
The Soulstones, rather than banishing the Prime Evils back to the Burning Hells, were artifacts with great power, enough to contain their spirits. But the Prime Evils learned they could corrupt the very Soulstones they would be trapped within, channeling the powers of the Worldstones to themselves (that was Baal's aim at Mount Arreat).
Also, those stones could also link to other mortal bodies to boost the power (a necessary method for imprisoning Baal, since his soulstone was shattered). Linking to a mortal body, the power to contain the Demons would be far greater, depending on the "Host", but also backfires as the Evils could corrupt the will of the host. That's why Tal Rasha was sealed in his tomb after containing Baal. But since the Prime Evils learned how to corrupt the soulstones, they influenced the people around through the gems. At last, Mephisto embodied the Kurast leader Sankekur, and Diablo did the same with prince Albrecht and the Warrior (after failing with Leoric).
Reply Quote
I believe after those Soulstones were destroyed, they did not die, but returned to the Black Abyss (the relation between Black Abyss and the Burning Hells is not very clear, as mentioned in http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Abyss), not being able to influence so directly in the course of Sanctuary, but eliminating the Worldstone - the barrier between Hells and Sanctuary.
The point that i don't get is:
Did the Lesser Evils were also aware of the masterplan orchestrated by the three Prime Evils?
Until the end of Diablo II it seemed the lesser ones also took part in the scheme, since both Andariel and Duriel helped Diablo and his brothers...
But Azmodan's intention, as pictured on the Blizzcon cinematics, seems to become himself a Prime Evil. It could be that the Three sacrificed a little of their power to destry the Worldstone, and in exchange would rank up the Lesser Evils (make them as strong as the Three) in exchange of helping them in the final assault over the mortal realm.
What happened to Belial, it's not clear either.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/25/2011 12:42 AMPosted by Moridias
Well they had to have been imprisoned in a soul stone; then take over the host body in order to draw upon the strength. I wouldn't say weaker more that when controlling their own soul in the soul stone they were more powerful.

but before soulstones were invented how did they draw upon their own strength?
Reply Quote
I believe after those Soulstones were destroyed, they did not die, but returned to the Black Abyss (the relation between Black Abyss and the Burning Hells is not very clear, as mentioned in http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Abyss), not being able to influence so directly in the course of Sanctuary, but eliminating the Worldstone - the barrier between Hells and Sanctuary.
The point that i don't get is:
Did the Lesser Evils were also aware of the masterplan orchestrated by the three Prime Evils?
Until the end of Diablo II it seemed the lesser ones also took part in the scheme, since both Andariel and Duriel helped Diablo and his brothers...
But Azmodan's intention, as pictured on the Blizzcon cinematics, seems to become himself a Prime Evil. It could be that the Three sacrificed a little of their power to destry the Worldstone, and in exchange would rank up the Lesser Evils (make them as strong as the Three) in exchange of helping them in the final assault over the mortal realm.
What happened to Belial, it's not clear either.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you say but you got my light bulb flickering. I think everyone should *assume* that Belial is up to something because:

a) he isn't mentioned hardly anywhere and
b) he's the lord of lies/deception

Now, since belial and azmodan were warring with each other, andariel and duriel ( all 4 of which are lesser evils ) joined up to "help" the 3 prime evils ( diablo, mephisto, and baal ).

Now, azmodan doesn't seem to be on anyone's side but his own. What if belial sent the other 2 lesser evils ( andariel and duriel ) to "help" the 3 prime evils in order to ultimately get them killed and sent back to hell where he could use them to defeat azmodan who appears to be dominating hell.

All belial needs is some kind of control over the 3 prime evils. What that control could be, who knows, but we should all know that pretty much all of the evils are back in hell right now..

I think Azmodan is simply the commanding force in hell right now but you need some kind of an item to actually be a "prime evil" since he's not a prime evil already, such as the black shard/stone or w/e it is.

I think the 3 prime evils + belial + 2 lesser evils ( duriel and andariel ) are possibly going to try to stop azmodan from controlling them all. I also think that belial is going to try to manipulate all of them to become a prime evil himself. And finally, I think that Mephisto knows exactly what's going on as well and the 3 prime evils are actually *allowing* belial to manipulate them in hell in order to crush both of them, take over hell, and get the black stone so that they can then take over the mortal realm and defeat sanctuary.

The end.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Well, i can see you all have your points.

Considering that there's no REAL evidence of how the stones really works, just clues, everyone could invent a theory about it...BUT, IMO, and considering the lore from the books, I'd Say the Following:

Prime evils become less powerful while manisfested into sanctuary.
If you kill them, they just come back to the black abyss/hell and so they dont really die.
Tyrael have created the soulstones to imprison the evils within sanctuary, preventing them from do evilness against the sanctuary and the humans. He gave them to the Horadrim, who have imprisioned them into their very souls and bodies, attaching the stones into their bodies.

The evils were trapped. But then, Izual, the fallen angel, told them how to corrupt the stones. And so they did it. Diablo have influenced the Tristam ppl, and eventually earned freedom from his prison.

Although the stones were meant to be a prison to the evils, they also serve as a way for the evils to become stable into the realm of sanctuary. That was the objective of Tyrael: To maintain them locked into the sanctuary, so that they couldnt go back to hell and neither do any harm to humans.

Once Diablo has taken possession of the soulstone, he could be manisfested fully, and therefore he was now powerful. Thats the reason why Baal wanted his soultone back from Marius. It would make him even more powerful, as we can see in the cinematic of LOD, whe he uses the stone to create a whirlwind that make the guard from arreat to explode.

The only thing that i cant understand is why the heck Diablo and Mefisto were declared definetly dead once their soulstones were broken, because they were alive before the creation of the stones. They dont need the stones to be alive....

I just can this that when the Prime evils were fully manifested into sanctuary cuz of the stones powers, so they not only were more powerful but also became MORTAL?

Go figures...

Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
It's like a phylactery (D&D).

When killed, they would be trapped inside the soulstone again rather than being banished back to the hells. Still able to exert a small amount of influence on people nearby, but that's it. That dependency even works when killing the PEs in hell, so destroying the soulstones (in hell) was required to stop them for good, leaving them no place to retreat.

What I don't get is how they manifested in Sanctuary the first time around. They were banished/schemed out by the LEs somehow, making it sound like it's kinda difficult to do, otherwise demon invasions would be an everyday thing. But if it is difficult, it seems like the simpler solution would be to just kill them and send them back without any SS shenanigans.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
The evils can manifest onto Sanctuary without trouble. The problem is that they become less powerful when they do that. The Worldstone were intended to just "hide" the sanctuary, but it couldn't stop them from reaching there.

It is said that they need a lot of energy to become able to remain in sanctuary, at a stabilized form. So thats the "big deal" with the LE's. They were able to cast them into Sanctuary.
Reply Quote
Soooo... is it clearer now that you all played Diablo 3 ? It seems the prime evil's spirits weren't destroyed but got sucked in the black soulstone...
Edited by DeadJunkyrab#2194 on 4/24/2014 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Honestly soulstones lost any coerecny after diablo 2... and diablo 3 didn't really help in any way.
They made sense only during the first installment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]