Diablo® III

Dimorphism of Auction houses

Not sure if this question has been answered before but it seems to me that when comparing the two auction houses, the items that are going to be listed in each are going to vary heavily.

Based on the assumptions I'm making, it seems that most gear/weapons or items of rare/high value are more likely to be listed in the real money auction house given the profit that can be made on such rare and hard to find items.
Meanwhile, items such as basic crafting materials and more commonly found items would be more likely to be found in the gold auction house simply because not many people would be willing to pay real money for such insignificant items.

If this happens to be the case, wouldn't this leverage a unfair advantage towards those willing to spend real money versus those who would only use gold in game? I'm not asking whether or not that's fair, just curious if that's how the system is designed. If not, what's going to be done to balance it? Feel free to disagree with the above assumptions as well.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Well you can get off your lazy bum and grind the item yourself right.....
Reply Quote
you might have a point there, but i think things will even out. as an example: Anti-RMAH people will post all items on the gold auction house. Pro-RMAH will post most if not all on the RMAH. and people like me, who don't give a rat's tail either way, will post most on the gold AH and maybe the big items on the RMAH when its free posting.
this is just my opinion on it.
Reply Quote
I feel like that's an oxymoron...
Nonetheless, given that .001% chance for a certain item drop, I don't think many ppl will be successful in that endeavor.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Nonetheless, given that .001% chance for a certain item drop, I don't think many ppl will be successful in that endeavor.

See that right there makes me very very very excited the .001% chance of dropping. I may be crazy but i like grinding those types of items and won't use the AH to cheat myself with it.
Reply Quote
See that right there makes me very very very excited the .001% chance of dropping. I may be crazy but i like grinding those types of items and won't use the AH to cheat myself with it.

Well Kudos to you sir, however for those of us that are sane this isn't much of a possibility.
Reply Quote

I'm that kinda crazy too, but i (personally) would use the auction house(s) to get a bit of gear if leveling in say nightmare or hell becomes too hard.
Edited by Abyssal on 10/26/2011 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/26/2011 05:29 PMPosted by Clix
Well Kudos to you sir, however for those of us that are sane this isn't much of a possibility.

Really depends also you might be grinding and find a legendary amazing item but not for you, you yourself could list it for free and get money out of it and then use that money you earnt and buy something for yourself. I can see that happening ALOT tbh.
Edited by Jdråma on 10/26/2011 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, since I plan on killing several billion demons over the next decade, I think it'll be fun trying.
Edited by MintFrog on 10/26/2011 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Really depends also you might be grinding and find a legendary amazing item but not for you, you yourself could list it for free and get money out of it and then use that money you earnt and buy something for yourself. I can see that happening ALOT tbh.

That makes perfect sense, however I believe there will be a lack of such rare items in the Gold auction house, impeding my efforts to obtain something rare that I want without using real money.
Reply Quote
[/quote]

Really depends also you might be grinding and find a legendary amazing item but not for you, you yourself could list it for free and get money out of it and then use that money you earnt and buy something for yourself. I can see that happening ALOT tbh.[/quote]
with as many people i see with blizz store items in wow and with the popularity of 3rd party sites in D3 i can see people feeding and using the RMAH in this manner
Step 1: find awesome weapon/armor that you have no use for
Step 2: list it for free
Step 3: buy/sell more items with money made from said item
Step 4:repeat
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
with as many people i see with blizz store items in wow and with the popularity of 3rd party sites in D3 i can see people feeding and using the RMAH in this manner

Pretty much what i will be doing except maybe keeping some legendary items for alts :D. Don't FORGET either i can also see myself spending a lot of money and items into making the stats perfect on one legendary item and i would love to be paid for my work :D. I see that will take place a lot too.
Reply Quote
Step by step this issue was discussed by Jay Wilson at this years Blizzcon. Thanks to this poster I didn't have to type it out.
|
v
Reply Quote

This supports my argument that over time most rare weapons and items are going to be concentrated in the RMAH, leaving little for the GMAH. To me atleast, that seems to be advantageous to those that use real money.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/26/2011 05:40 PMPosted by Clix
This supports my argument that over time most rare weapons and items are going to be concentrated in the RMAH, leaving little for the GMAH. To me atleast, that seems to be advantageous to those that use real money.

I only see that happening in Inferno and later game tbh i really see the start of the game and earlier diffs will use gold but like me and you we are assuming.
Edited by Jdråma on 10/26/2011 5:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I can also see people selling there legendaries for massive amounts of gold and then those people could sell gold for money if they wanted to. Which in turn would create items for gold. This could easily happen if the ah is full of items for money and not gold
Edited by Jdråma on 10/26/2011 5:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My fear here is that the two auction houses will become significantly separate in the types of items listed, preferring a higher advantage to people who have no problem bankrolling characters.
Reply Quote
Sell your gold for RM, then use those RM to buy items off RMAH
Reply Quote
10/26/2011 05:55 PMPosted by Tagle
Sell your gold for RM, then use those RM to buy items off RMAH

That's not the point really. The issue is that those who simply are unwilling or don't want to use the RMAH are put at a significant disadvantage in this scenario.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/26/2011 05:49 PMPosted by Clix
My fear here is that the two auction houses will become significantly separate in the types of items listed, preferring a higher advantage to people who have no problem bankrolling characters.

If there is a massive gap with items in real money compared to gold ah wouldn't we use that to sell items for massive amount of gold???? Like if people don't i will and use that gold. It really would be perfect to make massive amounts of gold if people were only just using real money...
Edited by Jdråma on 10/26/2011 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]