Diablo® III

Think this laptop is good enough for Diablo 3

My System Specifications

Operating System: Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
CPU Speed: 2.21 GHz
System Memory: 7.98 GB
Video Card Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Video Card Memory: 3.97 GB
Video Card Driver: nvd3dum.dll
Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080
Hard Disk Size: 228.7 GB SSD
Hard Disk Free Space: 201.08 GB (88%)
Download Speed: 1.64 MB/s (13.8 mbps)
Reply Quote
No.
Reply Quote
I love you guys! :) Diablo Geeks are the only geeks you really need in life. All other geeks are lesser.
Reply Quote
what is it it looks like a asus g74 but i could be wrong
Reply Quote
10/26/2011 06:28 AMPosted by Arbalest
what is it it looks like a asus g74 but i could be wrong

Nah I just bought it a couple days ago for School and Diablo 3. Alienware M18x.
Reply Quote
ahh i think you might have over payed then for the alienware Asus is cheaper and i hate to say it but better from what i have seen
Reply Quote
10/26/2011 06:41 AMPosted by Arbalest
ahh i think you might have over payed then for the alienware Asus is cheaper and i hate to say it but better from what i have seen

They are comparable, but I like the slightly larger screen on the M18x. Also the LED's are a nice bonus lol. But I also get a 25% discount through my work (Not Dell) on Dell/Alienware products. So for the cost, I got a much better deal with the M18x.
Reply Quote
If I wanted an extremely good laptop, I would have gone with http://www.falcon-nw.com
Their Laptops are insane, just cost a ridiculous amount.
Reply Quote
Looks good but Service Pack 1 will be your bottleneck.
Reply Quote
does that even run diablo 1?
Reply Quote
[quote]Solid State Drives are much more prone to failure than normal HDD, although they are MUCH faster. If you have an extra HDD slot in that lappy, make sure you get at least 1 HDD to put important stuff on in case your SDD goes kaputt. Also, if you get BS (happens every 2 months with mine), unplug power, take out battery, hold down power button for 10 secs, then plug it back in / put the battery back in turn it back on and it should be o.k.

Thanks, thats good to know. I heard they were faster, so I figured I would go with it. I never used an SSD before. I do have more slots to get an HDD if I need. I also have a few 1TB externals as backup for files.
Reply Quote
10/26/2011 08:28 AMPosted by BabyPuncher
Solid State Drives are much more prone to failure than normal HDD

Some are.

1) If you buy a cheaper one it may be more prone to failure because it may not be made for a high number of read/write cycles - look at the usable life of the SSD! If it doesn't have it advertised, it likely isn't a good one.
2) If you buy an older one with the old jmicron controller, it won't fail faster, but it'll definitely become worthless in a few months.
3) If you buy an older one that doesn't support TRIM and you don't download and run the optimization tool from your manufacturer it'll become worthless in a few weeks.
4) If you defragment your SSD, it adds tons of wear and tear and reduces the usable life by an insane amount. You never want to defragment your SSD

Any and/or all of the above are reasons of the above are some of the problems with SSDs.

Take your time to do research and buy a good one. Make sure you use windows 7 or some other TRIM supported OS to keep it running fast. Download any tools/software you can get to optimize your SSD (as most SSDs on the market that are a reasonable price are MLC instead of SLC, because they are cheaper to make per gigabyte but require more maintenance.)

SSDs are more physically durable than harddrives. They have no moving parts, and work in more extreme environments.

I have been running 2 computers with two separate Intel X-25 SSDs for the past two years without any issues. But that's because I take care of my SSDs. I don't do anything I shouldn't. I actually downloaded the Intel SSD Toolbox that automatically changes windows settings to optimize for a SSD. It also has a tool that I run every once and a while that I don't know exactly what it does (maybe if i didn't have an os that supports TRIM, it would fix that problem?)

They are very much worth the investment. But If you pay 40 bucks for one, start defragging it, and many of the other bad things for SSDs, it'll fail quickly. If you buy a good one and do everything right, it's a huge boon that won't fail on you anytime soon. Many SSDs have estimates on their usable life, make sure you do your research, check actual reviews from real tech people who use it and test it correctly, not just customer feedback from people who have no idea what they are doing, if you don't want to run into any problems.

Also, since those falcon computers said RAID was an option for SSDs, while this is true, and it can give you insanely fast data transfer speeds, TRIM is not currently supported in RAID. Which means that it'll start slowing down significantly more, the more you delete things (or things get deleted) from your SSD.
Reply Quote
lol that thing could barely play D1

keep looking brah
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]