Diablo® III

Inferno Drops and Item Hunting the Right way

So I’ve seen a few posts of people worried about loot In Inferno, how bosses will be useless for loot, how there is going to be a best place to farm etc. etc. etc. despite Blizzard stating the opposite.

So we have absolutely *no* idea how loot is going to be handled and the only thing we know from Blizzard is that they are designing it so that farming Bosses (or doing specific Boss runs) won’t be the best way to get loot. I say, instead of complaining that we think Blizzard will screw it up (which I’m confident they won’t), why not talk about some ways we think loot can/will/should be handled? I am all in favor of making a very large portion of the entire game viable for Magic Finding *including* bosses.

In order to make most areas of the game viable for item hunting Blizzard has to give the player an equal chance to find Rare’s and Legendaries

For example let’s say Random Champions and Bosses have the following Drop Rates (Very dumbed down example, there are a lot more statistics and variables to address than what I’m listing)

Random Champion
Rare Drop Rate: 7%
Legendary Drop Rate: 0.5%

Boss
Rare Drop Rate: 70%
Legendary Drop Rate: 5%

So as you can see Bosses are by far the best single source of items and still viable to farm. In order to make it even with non boss runs however, Blizzard basically needs to balance drop rates by giving us dungeons or outdoor areas with the same chance at loot as a boss run. Say you can kill 10 Random Champions in an area in the time it would take to do a boss run (ie 5 minutes). That gives us a 5% chance of getting a Legendary or 70% chance to find a Rare (Before the applied MF attribute of course!). Not only does this allow us to Hunt Items almost anywhere we want, it also lets those who like farming bosses for items do so without being penalized.

And to ensure this is true upon launch and beyond, I guarantee you Blizzard will be gathering and monitoring telemetry data on loot so if a few areas are a more profitable (say one area is so chalk full of Random champions that you can kill 20 of them in 5 minutes), Blizzard will adjust spawn rates, drop rates, or various other statistics to bring it back in line with the desired kill time/drop rate ratio.

This is a kind of system I’d like to see and it’s a kind of system I hope to see. One caveat I have to add is that at launch there *will* be superior areas to farm. As long as Blizzard monitors this and balances these areas when they are discovered they should be able to eventually make Inferno viable for gamewide Item finding.
Reply Quote
One caveat I have to add is that at launch there *will* be superior areas to farm.

We have no reason to believe this until the game actually launches

Sorry, -1 :(
Edited by Archael on 10/27/2011 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/27/2011 01:54 PMPosted by Archael
We have no reason to believe this until the game actually launches

Well it's possible they can balance it pre-launch, but it's incredibly unlikley that millions of people aren't going to find a better way (or a way Blizzard didn't think of) to item find than a few hundred Blizzard employees.

It actually being balanced at launch or a few months after is virtually irrelevant to the point of my post. The caveat being a, well, caveat, was there to let people know this system probably won't be perfect at first, and that that's alright.
Reply Quote
I thought of this idea yesterday in a buries post, but I like it so I'm preaching it.

Why don't they just have a questgiver like... WoW mwahhaah.

I'm talking about WoW Dailies, in a new way. After you beat inferno, when you make a game, there's a guy in each act who has 1 quest for you. It's basically to kill a monster he'll say something like "The devious monster Shoomoo has been running torrent lately, find him, and kill him". He doesn't tell you where in the act it is, and you just gotta go around killing stuff til you find him, and his drop rate is worth it. He can also be bosslike-difficult. So there are 4 difficult creatures you had to scavenge across all 4 acts to find and kill, in the meantime you found lots of rare monsters and got some mfing done. These monsters have high drops so you get a bonus for doing whichever act you prefer. Then after all 4 monsters are killed, the bosses at the end of each act now have their drop rates increased. So the time you spent killing and finding these monsters will make it worth it to kill all end game bosses as well.

It makes it worth it to play:
-with 4 people to kill things fast to find the difficult monsters.
-all 4 acts as the time it took to find the 4 monsters is now well worth it once you kill them all, as bosses now drop well.
-all 4 end act bosses, but it won't be farming, because you gotta clean through a bunch of the act before you find the mini boss

Oh and the great thing about this is how Diablo does their drops- based on individual person. So if someone hasn't beaten Diablo on Inferno and they join a friend's game to do this, they don't get a drop.

If it's done by quests as well, if someone doesn't have time for this, they can do 1 of the quests, then when they make a new game, they dont get the "act 1 " quest thing until they beat all act mini bosses and all act bosses. So it just resets over and over like that.
Reply Quote
I'm talking about WoW Dailies, in a new way. After you beat inferno, when you make a game, there's a guy in each act who has 1 quest for you. It's basically to kill a monster he'll say something like "The devious monster Shoomoo has been running torrent lately, find him, and kill him". He doesn't tell you where in the act it is, and you just gotta go around killing stuff til you find him, and his drop rate is worth it. He can also be bosslike-difficult. So there are 4 difficult creatures you had to scavenge across all 4 acts to find and kill, in the meantime you found lots of rare monsters and got some mfing done. These monsters have high drops so you get a bonus for doing whichever act you prefer. Then after all 4 monsters are killed, the bosses at the end of each act now have their drop rates increased. So the time you spent killing and finding these monsters will make it worth it to kill all end game bosses as well.

I really, really, really like this idea.
Reply Quote
Laz, that's very similar to a really good suggestion someone had on the D2 forums. Basically new games spawn a random area with increased MF. It was fairly universally accepted as a good idea but that was about it. I like it (Careful with mentioning WoW though, some of these D3 Fanboys mindlessly flame anything that mentions WoW!)

Edit: rofl, as demonstated by the poster Above me. He didn't say it was once a day Dunzie, if would have read his entire post instead of just frothing at the mouth at the sight of the word "WoW" you would have seen his suggestion was during every single game you create, not just a "once a day" limitation like WoW...
Edited by BazDefunct on 10/27/2011 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/27/2011 02:26 PMPosted by Dunzie
No. If you want dailies stay with WoW. Stop ruining the Diablo franchise with your stupid ideas.

They're not "dailies"

I'm just using the idea of repetitive quests that get reset every time you do the complete quest- which I got the idea from WoW Dailies getting reset every day :P
If I had not even mentioned that one line, you wouldn't have had the slightest clue where I got the idea from, as that's the only thing the two have in common.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Can we stop suggesting and start playing!!??
Reply Quote
10/27/2011 02:38 PMPosted by Ghoward
Can we stop suggesting and start playing!!??

Seconded!
Reply Quote
Bumping a great idea.
Reply Quote
thx I liked it too. But I guess it only matters if a Blue likes it. Probably should have made it in my own thread :(
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i would really prefer the better farming experience threads be put off untill we are farming..

the main reason bosses are not the best source of loot stems from the difficulty of making a bot that can farm rares and champions.. and it gives people a reason to clear a wholw map ..

giving everything the chance to drop good loot means its good to kill everything..

infact the best areas to farm would be where you could get a lot of mobs without much effort like in the first open area of the beta where they have been pulling off the 1200 mob kill streaks
Reply Quote
Well I think we can all agree the most ideal overall thing to do would be to clear the whole map, including rares, uniques, bosses, etc.
That's all my suggestion is trying to help- give bonuses to clearing half of each act (on average to find the super unique), which yields bonuses on the boss. I would thoroughly enjoy a mfing like this and couldn't even call it farming because I'd be replaying so much content. Anyway that's just my pov, and I'd love to put it off until the game comes out, but I'll be too busy playing to get my comments in then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]