Diablo® III

Skill Swapping

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think it is a very bad idea to require a player to have to go back to town to swap skills. This will be large interruption in gameplay, especially while leveling to lvl 30 and gaining new skills. So every time you get a new skill you have to go to town to swap it and then go try it out, if it doesn't work oh back to town again to swap. I understand that you want players to "commit" to a build, but this is a randomized game this would mean I know what I'm going to need and I don't I should be able to swap in some skills for what I'm going up against. I also agree that it would be bad to have players running around with the skill panel all the time as well. Players shouldn't be punished for wanting to just mess around with a variety of skills either, going back to town every would be a heavy burden and really slow down the action of Diablo which should be very fast paced.

It seems to me the best and maybe simplest solution is this, if the player is doing damage or receiving damage then close the skill panel if it is open, maybe even add a short out of combat timer, either way requiring a trip back to town is not the answer. Some psuedo code

if (player.doing_damage == true || player.receiving_damage)
skill_panel.display = false
end
Reply Quote
Skill swapping in town is good.
Blizz, don't listen to this guy.
You guys did a good thing with making it so that we can only swap in town. =D

No. Make it out of combat.

Blizzard said they wanted to make it so we weren't always running back to town. Please, keep it that way Blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Yeah, I think they're going to have to come up with something besides going back to town. I can imagine in the harder difficulties you might need to change around skills for particular rare mobs or random events, and it would be a hassle to have to go back to town every time you encountered one of these.
Reply Quote
I'm going to have to disagree with you for 3 reasons. First, your comma and period usage is atrocious. Second, your pseudo-code is inconsistent. Third, because i personally think the best way to solve the skill-swapping problem is to make you unable to swap runed skills, and to make un-runing a skill a function of the mystic/jeweler. That way while you're leveling you can leave a slot un-runed for testing new skills, while maintaining the sense of permanence that is needed.
Reply Quote
I kind of like this idea..

Opening the skill interface takes an item with a cast time (like the recall stone, but maybe shorter, like 3-5 seconds), actions or being hit closes the skill interface so you have to hit your stone again.

Reply Quote
Skill swapping in town is good.
Blizz, don't listen to this guy.
You guys did a good thing with making it so that we can only swap in town. =D

No. Make it out of combat.

Blizzard said they wanted to make it so we weren't always running back to town. Please, keep it that way Blizzard.
There's no In or Out of combat state in Diablo 3, and the developers intend to keep it that way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]