Diablo® III

Skill swap idea.

So a lot of people think that the current skill swapping system, swapping out any available skill at any time, is a bit too much. Fair enough. It could be exploited by some players, and turn skill swapping into an unnecessary meta game.

Blizz seems to have heard the thoughts of the community, and has recently said that they are going to make skill swapping an in town only feature. Previous to this change, they said they had already considered doing it, but it just felt bad overall to have to port back to town just to switch skills and port back to the action (and I sort of agree with that). They also said that this recent change is just where they are at with it right now, and is not the final decision on the matter.

So here's my idea: swap skills not only in town, but at the checkpoints in the field. Maybe add some kind of visual marker to the checkpoints so players can go "Hey, a checkpoint stone/pillar/cow statue! Maybe I should swap out X skill for Y skill while I'm here". That way, you won't be able to abuse on the fly skill swapping, but also not have to be bothered to stop playing, channel your recall stone, swap your skills, and port back to the action just because you picked up a new skill or rune. It might even give you motivation to keep going forward! "Oooo, a shiny new skill/rune! Let's hurry and kill all these demons so I can swap them out at the next checkpoint!"

Probably not the best solution, but if they are STILL trying to figure out exactly how they want to handle skill swapping, a suggestion is usually not a bad thing. Maybe it'll spark an even better idea from someone else.
Reply Quote
Yeah since its totally going to be required you swap your skills every 5 minutes the entire game and not at least semi-commit to a setup.... isn't that kind of the idea of having the 6 limit? Though it is so loosely enforced it doesn't really matter anyway.

I have a better idea... swap out anywhere, but have a 1 hour cooldown on swapping (severely laxxed early game for experimenting).
Edited by Xeridea on 10/21/2011 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 9:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
10/21/2011 11:56 PMPosted by Xeridea
I have a better idea... swap out anywhere, but have a 1 hour cooldown on swapping (severely laxxed early game for experimenting).

I'm in favor of a cooldown, but an hour would be overkill. The goal here is to handicap the people who would be running around with their skill panes constantly open, swapping at every fight, but to otherwise allow experimentation and adaptation to some changing conditions (like your friends log on, so you switch to your group support skills). A cooldown of even thirty seconds would stop the "skill pane always open" player, while a cooldown of an hour would needlessly cripple someone trying to experiment and fine-tune a new build.
Reply Quote
The swap in town only sounds clunky to me. I like how you can currently change things in the field and not break immersion. My idea:

-New inventory item, like stone of recall, except instead of porting to town, it allows you to change your active and passive skills.
-5 sec channeled cast time, no moving and hits break the cast, like stone of recall
-At end of cast, all active skills are 'greyed out'; you can't use any abilities.
-While abilities are greyed out, you can swap at will
-To end swapping, you use the item again, however it is now instant cast, no channeling (this is to allow you to abort skill swap quickly if some monster wanders toward you)
-Skills are now available to be cast

At higher difficulty levels, the channeled cast time should increase. At end game, it should be especially difficult to swap things around quickly.
Reply Quote
The swap in town only sounds clunky to me. I like how you can currently change things in the field and not break immersion. My idea:

-New inventory item, like stone of recall, except instead of porting to town, it allows you to change your active and passive skills.
-5 sec channeled cast time, no moving and hits break the cast, like stone of recall
-At end of cast, all active skills are 'greyed out'; you can't use any abilities.
-While abilities are greyed out, you can swap at will
-To end swapping, you use the item again, however it is now instant cast, no channeling (this is to allow you to abort skill swap quickly if some monster wanders toward you)
-Skills are now available to be cast

At higher difficulty levels, the channeled cast time should increase. At end game, it should be especially difficult to swap things around quickly.

You do realize this is the same exact thing as in town only swapping, right?
Reply Quote
Make it so that it takes a 10 second channel to lock in your new skill setup, the channel can be interrupted when hit by anything.

Done.
Reply Quote
You do realize this is the same exact thing as in town only swapping, right?

Actually no. It is a similar mechanic but you don't have to leave the field of combat. It also does not require as long of a channel time due to the disadvantage of being unable to use skills until finished swapping. Overall this is faster and less disorienting without being exploitable.

The item could also decrease to zero cast time while in town. The item just gives you the ability to swap skills outside of town and try them immediately in the field.

In town swapping looks like this:
-level up or new monster pack prompts desire to respec
-channel 10 seconds
-go to town
-swap skills
-go back through portal
-try skills

Having an item that is portable avoids the trip to town and back again.
Reply Quote
10/22/2011 12:32 AMPosted by Xanthippus

I'm in favor of a cooldown, but an hour would be overkill. The goal here is to handicap the people who would be running around with their skill panes constantly open, swapping at every fight, but to otherwise allow experimentation and adaptation to some changing conditions (like your friends log on, so you switch to your group support skills). A cooldown of even thirty seconds would stop the "skill pane always open" player, while a cooldown of an hour would needlessly cripple someone trying to experiment and fine-tune a new build.

1 hour cooldown doesn't hinder experimenting to much... unless you just absolutely must try every combination, and also have high level runes of every kind available. If you are not a total nimwit, you should have a general idea of what is good/fun for you, and shouldn't need to be trying out 37 different setups later on. 1 hour cooldown provides a semi permanent choice (which most here are whining their butts off since its such a terrible thing to actually make a commitment), and filters out the noobs. With 5-10 second channel, you can still swap "in combat"... by running away 30 feet, and 5-10 sec cooldown or town you can still easily swap (in about 15 seconds big woopdie doo) for different areas, making the 6 skill limit basically a null factor, just an annoyance to those who can't play without having every skill imaginable available at all times... like you can actually effectively use more than 6 skills at a time anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Some of these ideas are really good. I particularly like the idea for a scroll with a cast time and the cooldown of maybe 30 seconds to a minute between swapping.

I posted this a few weeks back, just gonna copy paste it here. My idea for skill swapping, since I think going to town sounds really bad.

The way I think it would work is a combination of many aforementioned ideas.

You open your spell book with no consequences, you can move spells in and out of the slots socket runestones, and what have you while the spell book is opened. But none of your "active" skills are being changed yet. What you basically have is a talent calculator, you can move your build around whenever you want but in order to lock that build in you would click an "apply changes" button which would activate a 5-10 second cast timer (similar to changing specs in wow). If you are damaged, move, or activate a skill you interrupt the cast.

Since you can't make the change while battling, this would take away the need or want to adjust your build in combat.

To make it even more restricted, if you are playing in a group of 2-4 people, you can have any damage from party members in the same zone taken or delivered also interrupt the cast of your spec change. This would not apply to any class change in town, and the cast time would be also be removed while in town.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3278813261#18
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
10/24/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Xeridea

1 hour cooldown doesn't hinder experimenting to much... unless you just absolutely must try every combination, and also have high level runes of every kind available. If you are not a total nimwit, you should have a general idea of what is good/fun for you, and shouldn't need to be trying out 37 different setups later on. 1 hour cooldown provides a semi permanent choice (which most here are whining their butts off since its such a terrible thing to actually make a commitment), and filters out the noobs. With 5-10 second channel, you can still swap "in combat"... by running away 30 feet, and 5-10 sec cooldown or town you can still easily swap (in about 15 seconds big woopdie doo) for different areas, making the 6 skill limit basically a null factor, just an annoyance to those who can't play without having every skill imaginable available at all times... like you can actually effectively use more than 6 skills at a time anyway.

An hour cooldown is way to much, they want to give us freedom to experiment, 1 hour between swapping takes that away completely, especially for the people who maybe only have an hour a night to play the game at all.

Also, what if you come across an encounter that you simply can't seem to get past with the skills you just swapped in 15 minutes ago?

I could see them putting in maybe a 5 minute cooldown, at most, but I think there are much better alternatives than having a big cooldown at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Best idea so far, in my opinion, was to add a cast time to the skill swapping, just like Stone of Recall. Seems fairly simple.
Edited by Mauni on 11/23/2011 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]