Diablo® III

Digital DL upgradeable with CE?

Let's say I want to pre-download the game from Blizz to play it right when the servers open and then upgrade it later with a Collector's Edition key for the extra bling, possible?

Thanks.
Edited by Archael on 10/21/2011 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In the past, this has not been possible. This goes for both WoW and SC2. I'm not saying it won't be possible for D3, but it doesn't look likely so I highly doubt it.
Reply Quote
I posted something earlier about this same thing. I want to play right when the servers go up, but I also want to get the CE. I assume the only way to do so will be to order two copies, but... meh. The problem is, the CE will come with its own key, and I doubt they'll make special boxes without keys just for people with digital downloads.

I just want to be sure that IF you do the digital download AND the CE, that the perks (wings, dyes) will be a code and not just tied to that account only. That would be a huge downside.
Reply Quote
The closest Gamestop for me is an hour drive away. Assuming I want to get the CE (and it's looking like I will), I won't be able to play until at the earliest, 1am in the morning, assuming midnight release. Small price to pay for the CE, having to hold off an extra hour. I can be certain all my friends and family that will be playing the game will have a solid lead on me, but it'll be worth it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
"What if I purchase the Diablo III Collector's Edition?

If you decide to purchase the Diablo III Collector's Edition when it's available, and then choose to add your Collector's Edition license key to the Battle.net account associated with your existing World of Warcraft Annual Pass promotion, you will receive all of the benefits associated with the Collector's Edition, plus receive four months of World of Warcraft game time which is eligible towards your 12-month subscription commitment. After you purchase the Diablo III Collector's Edition you just need to input the product key into the Battle.net account associated with your World of Warcraft 12-month commitment and that account will then receive the next 4 months of World of Warcraft game time for free. For example, if you already had a month of game time on the associated World of Warcraft account when you input your Diablo III Collector's Edition product key, it would then be 5 months until your next subscription payment was due."

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true
Edited by Kouklo on 10/22/2011 12:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My closest Gamestop is about an hour away, too. But, I'm boycotting Gamestop over this whole Metallica argument I had with a cashier a year and a half ago, so that isn't an option for me. If I pre-ordered, it'd have to be by mail. ...Unless Wal-Mart decides to carry the CE, which I highly doubt.
Reply Quote

If you decide to purchase the Diablo III Collector's Edition when it's available, and then choose to add your Collector's Edition license key to the Battle.net account associated with your existing World of Warcraft Annual Pass promotion, you will receive all of the benefits associated with the Collector's Edition, plus receive four months of World of Warcraft game time which is eligible towards your 12-month subscription commitment. After you purchase the Diablo III Collector's Edition you just need to input the product key into the Battle.net account associated with your World of Warcraft 12-month commitment and that account will then receive the next 4 months of World of Warcraft game time for free. For example, if you already had a month of game time on the associated World of Warcraft account when you input your Diablo III Collector's Edition product key, it would then be 5 months until your next subscription payment was due."

<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true">http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true</a>

That's for people who bought the 1 year WoW thing

I want to know, specifically, if you can upgrade the copy you buy independent of WoW with the CE

Reply Quote
I'd be really interested to know if this was possible as well.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In SC2 people were able to apply the CE key to their account to go from regular to CE and gain the in game portraits, thor, etc (and obviously all the cool things in the CE like the art book :D). Blue posts were a bit conflicting on if you could contact Billing and Support and move your regular copy to a different b.net account(some people reported they could, others said no) so that you do not waste the key.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I would like this too plz.

- and I live offshore, meaning I'd have to wait not hours, but days or a week or more to play if I want the CE (and find a trustworthy 3rd party to get it/ship to me).
I've got many friends living on other islands with the same problem.

Show us some love Blizz. We believe in youuuuu!
Reply Quote
Looks like the safest bet is just getting CE from the store yourself the moment of release then driving (or running if you're hardcore) back home with the box, installing it, and starting with CE.

You miss the first hour or so of server up time but w/e

PS: Blizzard take my money now!

/me throws money at blues
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

PS: Blizzard take my money now!

/me throws money at blues

^^^
Reply Quote
I went with the Annual pass jff and ordered up a CE... I'll probably download the digital and play til my CE gets here then input the key and bam I get my bonuses :D.... still debating what class to start with hmmmmmm
Reply Quote
I don't want the Annual Pass though, I don't play WoW

I want to buy the digital download, pre-download the game, then upgrade it with CE to get the bonuses

Could we get some info about this please?

And yes I am aware that would entail buying the regular copy online + a physical CE copy
Edited by Archael on 10/22/2011 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lack of Blue info this week :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You should be able to just attach the key to your account and then you will have the upgraded version. Mind you, as someone else said, you will be out the cost of the normal version if you do this.

Maybe if we make puppy dog eyes at blizzard we could get them to credit your virtual wallet for the RMAH with the difference but I wouldn't bet on it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true">http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true</a>

That's for people who bought the 1 year WoW thing

I want to know, specifically, if you can upgrade the copy you buy independent of WoW with the CE

Yes you can upgrade from standard to CE

I don't want the Annual Pass though, I don't play WoW

I want to buy the digital download, pre-download the game, then upgrade it with CE to get the bonuses

Could we get some info about this please?

And yes I am aware that would entail buying the regular copy online + a physical CE copy

You dont need to get the annual pass. Order the digital D/L when it's available, obtain a CE, input the key, your account is now upgraded.

10/27/2011 01:47 PMPosted by Archael
Lack of Blue info this week :(

No need for a blue post.

10/22/2011 12:00 AMPosted by Casm
In the past, this has not been possible. This goes for both WoW and SC2. I'm not saying it won't be possible for D3, but it doesn't look likely so I highly doubt it.

In the past, this has always been possible. You can upgrade your WoW or SC2 account with a CE key.

Yes, you can buy the digital D/L then add a CE CD key to your account after launch.
Edited by Zèromus on 10/27/2011 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]