Diablo® III

Of Weapon Speed, Wizards and One-Handers

20% crit, 15% crit nova, >+24 Arc on Crit, and ~7% haste can fully support its mana expenditure during multi target engagements. That is in no way expensive. You will lose out on raw dps on the weapon, offhand, and pure int on the headpiece but while you lose out on the number on your paper doll you will likely come out ahead... gold piece for gold piece.

Why the obsession with arcane orb? It has terrible return on critical ramp for both arcane as well as cooldowns. Well placed star pacts can work just fine in a kite situation.

You can even use star pact as your "signature move" to generate mana for your arcane orb use.

Single target arcane stability can be remedied by blending in a signature for a while until you're more toward 35% crit, but once again that line isn't very hard to get to.

Because you can SPAM arcane (pro tip: 20 AP vs 35 star pact), because it hits the first thing it comes into contact with, because meteor FCKING SUCKS?

arcane: 20 AP, 175% damage, EASY TO TARGET
star pact: 35 AP, 200% damage, YOU CANT HIT ANYTHING WITH IT unless you are melee wiz
Reply Quote
Modeling Arcane Orb Ap sustainability off it always hitting multiple targets is not a good idea.
Reply Quote

Given the same ammount of GOLD, 2H's are better at the low end (and still, people started buying them a lot post 103 and wands seem to have dropped), and way worse at the high end (when i used my old 880 DPS 1H+source i needed *OVER 1450 DPS* on a 2H to beat it).

Given the same affixes, 1H+OH *always* wins, under any situation (the +Crit Chance alone on the offhand, even if it has no other mods at all, usually brings your DPC on par or surpassing any 2H).

2h wins handily at mid-end as well. According to the spreadsheets, I would need to pay 160$ to equal the DPS of my 1283 DPS 2h, which I paid 40$ for (going by what is on the AH right now, and yes I just spend 10 minutes of my life doing AH searches to figure that out).

You must have had an utterly ridiculous source and incredible stats on that 880 DPS 1h for it to take a 1450 DPS 2h to beat it. Seriously.
Edited by aimlessgun#1954 on 6/25/2012 1:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My source isn't that good and my weapon is only decent, but I can't find a 2h that will increase my damage without spending more than 2x what I paid for my stuff. Using a 837dps 1h I paid almost 10m for and a crappy source I paid 1m for (doesn't even have crit). A 1500 dps 2h will lower my damage:(
Edited by Time#1141 on 6/25/2012 2:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Im still thinking what is better, but i like more 1h+OH coz we get more stats from 2 slots than from 1 (2h)
Reply Quote
I agree with the "spilled damage" argument.

If we take a case of a mob with 100 hp. We have a 1-hander that does 50 dmg per cast and a 2-hander that does 90. Both weapons will take two casts to kill the mob. The 1-hander in this case actually wins out even though it does less dmg because it can cast twice faster. 2-handers are only better than 1-handers when it does significantly more dmg. If the 2-hander in the previous scenario did 100 dmg per cast, then it would win out over the 1-hander.

There is also a "spilled time" argument that applies to how long you usually can stand still and cast. If you can stand still for 1.5 seconds, you can probably get 2 cast of a 1-hander off and only 1 cast of a 2-hander off. You can fully utilize the damage of a 1-hander in that scenario.

I think this further demonstrates that DPS as a measure of overall damage output of a weapon is poor. It also drives the market in a certain disingenuous direction. Perhaps more statistics should be placed on weapons.
Edited by Daemon#1358 on 6/25/2012 5:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with the "spilled damage" argument.

If we take a case of a mob with 100 hp. We have a 1-hander that does 50 dmg per cast and a 2-hander that does 90. Both weapons will take two casts to kill the mob. The 1-hander in this case actually wins out even though it does less dmg because it can cast twice faster. 2-handers are only better than 1-handers when it does significantly more dmg. If the 2-hander in the previous scenario did 100 dmg per cast, then it would win out over the 1-hander.

There is also a "spilled time" argument that applies to how long you usually can stand still and cast. If you can stand still for 1.5 seconds, you can probably get 2 cast of a 1-hander off and only 1 cast of a 2-hander off. You can fully utilize the damage of a 1-hander in that scenario.

I think this further demonstrates that DPS as a measure of overall damage output of a weapon is poor. It also drives the market in a certain disingenuous direction. Perhaps more statistics should be placed on weapons.

There is NO NEED at all of going as far as "spilled DPS".

800 DPS 1H @ 1.4 with source = 1050-1100 DPS + 6-8% Crit chance (BAM! that 6-8% chance already OWNED pretty much any 2h there is) + INT + Other mods.
Reply Quote
You're paying real money for items in Diablo 3.

You are doing it wrong.
Edited by holografix#6591 on 6/27/2012 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
also 1h items have the ability to give arcane power on crit. which is just saucy. if your planing on building a melee wiz or even a crit machine. no need for sig spell.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]