Diablo® III

No Guilds?

90 Gnome Mage
Clans have always existed since the dawn of Diablo II. Players would create characters and splice in clan "tags" into their names. I.E. ST-Warrior (ST for Saint).

It had its problems. If a character left or got kicked out of the guild formally, the character still had the tag on the character name. (The player who left the clan might not want to be still sporting the clan tag, and the clan might not still want them appearing to the unknowing as representing the clan.)

It would have been nice to have some very basic features, like a group of players being able to open a clan. Select a clan name. Control who can wear the clan name, and allow players who leave the clan the ability to not have to carry the clan name around anymore.

Really really basic stuff that would have smoothed things out a ton, BUT Diablo II players didn't have that option...the features just didn't exist...(remember this was still in the pre-wow Diablo II era...guilds weren't even called guilds they were called clans.)

Fast forward to D3 and....could we get just some basic minimum clan support?

It would be nice if it was done in the spirit of Diablo II, old school style. (just in game support for formation for those who want to do it, no huge real outside bonuses for joining a clan, so that no one has to if they don't want to...unlike WoW where there are certain items/perks/leveling benefits you can ONLY get from being in a guild.)

Basically just the ability to "form a clan" by purchasing a clan title some place and then the clan leader or leader(s) being able to regulate clan membership with the clan name showing up on members.

Just like it was in Diablo II in the pre-WoW days. Except now you wouldn't have to type a tag into your character name. This seems like a no-brainer since it would add extra depth to the game for players who want it, and for those who don't want it they could skip it.

Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
you can call me ignorant if you want, but what's the point of guilds in diablo?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/21/2011 11:11 PMPosted by cdekker
you can call me ignorant if you want, but what's the point of guilds in diablo?

Make friends, get to know people, play with people you know you can trust/count on....its a lot of fun on HARDCORE mode.

You might not mind running with a bunch of randoms that might do something really dumb that will get everyone killed on softcore, but on Hardcore, it can be useful to know who you are playing with, what play style they have, how good of a player they happen to be, and whether or not you feel like you can trust them in sticky situations.

And of course, even in softcore, if you want to level up fast and efficient it is nice to know who you are playing with and know they are good. Doing random public games all the time can be a drag if you end up with a bunch of idiots and you actually would like a group for something so it goes faster.

You could probably solo everything in Diablo, but a well organized group can make things a lot faster. Time is valuable. If you are a "serious player" then you want to spend your game time as efficiently as possible to maximize your characters growth.

It also helps you meet other like minded people. Some clans are more casual, and others are more serious.

Added social dynamic.

Even though Diablo II was a hack and slash game, there are a lot of people who enjoyed creating a social dynamic into the game.

Others just wanted to build a reliable network of good players that you could trust/count on in a pinch.
Edited by Peacefuldude on 10/21/2011 11:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/21/2011 11:41 PMPosted by Praetor
I don't care for guilds or clans in Diablo, but I have no idea why it is not a supported feature.

If more players had your attitude these forums would be a really awesome place! It isn't something you really care for, but you can see why others might like it...thank you for your post. Very reasonable.
Reply Quote
Clan features would definitely be a plus in D3. I remember the only way to make an official clan channel in D2 was to make a clan through WC3, otherwise your channel was OP Clan ____ which didn't quite feel official enough. Perhaps clan tags would be useful as well; Provided you're in a clan, you'd have your clan leader's designated abbreviation in some brackets next to your name.
Reply Quote
Not necessary in my opinion. Diablo isn't traditionally a game where you require a large roster of people in order to progress or make things convenient. A handful of friends and Real ID friends will be more than sufficient.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
there will add in some type of guild clan support for d3 into b.net after release..

actually if you want you can even play d3 with many of your friends from wow if they get the year pass and get d3 for free
Edited by Toyodah on 10/22/2011 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
+1 OP!
I play games for the people in them, the content of the game is just a bonus, I wanna find good people!
Reply Quote
10/22/2011 09:18 AMPosted by weaknurse
Not necessary in my opinion. Diablo isn't traditionally a game where you require a large roster of people in order to progress or make things convenient. A handful of friends and Real ID friends will be more than sufficient.

Why not have both friends/real ID buddies AND clans? Your friends won't always be on when you need them, so why not have some folks who have similar interests fill in for them? Some of your friends may not like PVP or hosting runs of something specific but a clan may, just to help out it's members. In reality though, anything can be accomplished through friends, but clans are just nice to have.
Reply Quote
10/22/2011 09:25 AMPosted by King

Why not have both friends/real ID buddies AND clans? Your friends won't always be on when you need them, so why not have some folks who have similar interests fill in for them? Some of your friends may not like PVP or hosting runs of something specific but a clan may, just to help out it's members. In reality though, anything can be accomplished through friends, but clans are just nice to have.

Maybe the truth is I have just given up on Battlenet 2.0. It has been so disappointing in SC2, it took them forever to implement something as simple as chat channels and now that they have been implemented they are horrible and that kind of thing sets my expectations low for things like Clan support.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/22/2011 09:18 AMPosted by King

+1 OP!
I play games for the people in them, the content of the game is just a bonus, I wanna find good people!

Thanks Ryft for the reminder that a great game is great, but a great game with great people at your side while you play it is AWESOME! ^_^

edit: I'm not sure why that says it was posted by KING, it was posted by Ryft?
Edited by Peacefuldude on 10/22/2011 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The only guild feature I'm interested in are guild stashes/banks. I'm sure it will be implemented at some point.
Reply Quote
Everyone knows that if guilds/clans were in D3, tons of WoW-haters would flock the forums saying, "stop making D3 like WoW!"
Reply Quote

Maybe the truth is I have just given up on Battlenet 2.0. It has been so disappointing in SC2, it took them forever to implement something as simple as chat channels and now that they have been implemented they are horrible and that kind of thing sets my expectations low for things like Clan support.

Eh, I might feel the same way provided I actually participated in the chat system in SC2. When I play, I'm there to compstomp or get achievements, not so much chat.
Reply Quote
I personally don't really like the idea joining a clan/guild in D3, but I do think that support for it should end up in the game. Maybe it won't be at release, but it should be there eventually.

I really don't see how anyone could be against guild/clan support, to be honest. It doesn't hurt people who don't want to use it one bit, since you don't need a guild to do raiding or anything, like you do in WoW.

I guess the only reason people might be against it is the irrational knee-jerk WoW hatred that a lot of the people around here seem to have.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]