Diablo® III

Truly Unique Items. Come on guys...

85 Draenei Paladin
A unique item should have more going for it than stats. Oh so this item has so and so damage, 6% life steal, adds 30 vitality... ect. we get the picture, they are base stats and are on everything in the game. How about a unique effect???

For example, though I hate to have to bring up WOW, there are some incredibly UNIQUE items (though not as many as there should be). Just look up some legendary items and you will see what I'm talking about. There should be items that have real effects rather than the same old improved stats.

List some stuff you think would be cool.

I can't be alone here, can I?

Also, Please nobody say anything about placeholders.. We all know now. I want IDEAS!
Edited by Altos on 10/30/2011 11:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My preference would be for some unique items to modify class skills in interesting ways. "Your disintegrate now has a 2% chance per second to shoot an arcane orb." "Your leap attack now stuns enemies near where you land for 1 second." "Your acid pool now slows the movement speed of enemies by X%." Obviously these changes to class abilities would need to reflect the rarity of the item (rarer items grant more powerful bonuses). This also adds a whole new level of balancing complexity to the game, but I think we can all agree that Blizzard is up to the task. They've already created a very nice system for having many viable, unique builds. Why not up the complexity even further with unique item customization?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
That's what I'm talking about, nice one Lex. I like em
Reply Quote
That would require much more balancing than just higher than average stats.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea and we could possibly see it in the future, but for release I think we have a good amount of stuff to look forward to.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Priest
the sword of wealth has a chance produce 1 gold coin everytime you hit a mob of equal or higher level.

the sword of repair will slowly repair gear in your inventory when hitting mobs of equal or higher level.

the sword of dispair (a cursed sword) slowly degrades (damages) gear in your inventory when hitting mobs of equal or higher level.

something to occasionally spawn pet(s) to fight by your side when taking damage or attacking would be cool.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I like it.

MORE!!!
Reply Quote
Active and Passive skill modifiers (damage not effect) is the most appropriate since runes have the effect. But item mods could be made to enhance specific runed skills.
Reply Quote
I would personally love to see some "lore" type weapons like a mace or an axe that some great barbarian used to wield and have it give some kind of effect that made this one guy so bad !@#.
Reply Quote
Honestly, just about any item that deals in one of the class resources is interesting to me.

That having been said, I get the feeling that in some ways, "resource" stats are already a base part of the game. I'd really love to see new builds enabled by the fact that we have a handful of unique items which alter the resources fundamentally.

Examples:
Monk:
-All spirit spenders cost 50% more spirit but deal 100% more damage.
-You gain a bonus to attack/movement speed based on the amount of spirit generated in the last X seconds.

Barbarian:
-When you don't have enough rage to use a rage spender you may instead use it as a rage generator at the cost of 25% damage (it would generate the 75% of rage it costs).
-Your rage generators don't generate any rage but you're rage spenders cost 50% less and you generate 100% more rage from damage taken.

Wizard:
-You no longer regenerate Arcane Power Passively, instead skills which hit 3 or more targets generate an amount of AP equal either to their AP cost or double the amount they would have normally generated.

I'm sure there are better examples out there, I just threw these out there as examples of item abilities which are good enough to base builds on but not so good that all members of class X would want them.
Reply Quote
I'd rather have uninteresting but useful stats than fancy stats such as "5% chance to spawn level 2 charged bolt" or "10% chance to spawn level 1 skeleton" which are practically useless
Reply Quote
11/05/2011 02:54 AMPosted by Toiletmonstr
I'd rather have uninteresting but useful stats than fancy stats such as "5% chance to spawn level 2 charged bolt" or "10% chance to spawn level 1 skeleton" which are practically useless

I don't think anyone is asking for everyone item to have these things, just a handful to mix it up.
Reply Quote
Bro chill out smoke one with a !@#$%.

They are updating the temporary legendary items with NEW Temporary legendary item stats.
Reply Quote
things that would be cool:
fade
glow

like set items on D2 ( e.g : full IK set glow. )
Reply Quote
11/05/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Mface

I don't think anyone is asking for everyone item to have these things, just a handful to mix it up.

you actually liked your items to have those crappy stats instead of beneficial ones?
Reply Quote
11/05/2011 02:54 AMPosted by Toiletmonstr

Since skills no longer have levels, but largely scale with character level and weapon damage, if you had, for instance, "5% chance to cast Poison Dart", it would always do respectable damage. Even if you were a Monk or Barbarian.

Now, I doubt Blizzard will put skill procs on weapons again, because casting animations are no longer generic, but still.
Reply Quote
I'd like to see some class-specific twists on items for sure.

Monk:
- Breath of Heaven now does triple damage in the same area of effect, but will also damage allies (instead of healing them).
- Exploding palm no longer generates spirit, but each attack causes the bleed.
- Seven-sided strike cooldown is eliminated, but you now have the chance to strike allies.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
The only problem (if this is really a problem) with these unique item modifiers is the fact that they could make for terribly overpowered characters at any point in the game. It would also make pvp a lot tougher to balance. People will already complain about how unbalanced a certain class is, this just adds more fuel to the fire imo.
Reply Quote
I think if items were to proc you'd see things more along the lines of 15% chance to increase dodge by 10% for 30 seconds (like mini shrine effects). Not nearly as OP, especially if they give a graphic (pvp wise....).

Things that might be cool:
next x skills cost x% less to cast
next x attacks have x more damage radius (even if the attack isn't an aoe attack)
next x attacks taken do x% less damage

the possibilities are endless with these kinds of things.
Reply Quote
I just want to say I love you for this thread. This is my biggest concern about the game. Diablo II had tons of fun unique items (balance is NOT as important in this game as a game like WoW), and having mostly linear (i.e. boring) item progression makes the end game much less fun. Things like -xx% fire resistance, chance to cast (yes, I thought this was tons of fun in D2 when you were in bear form proccing volcano all over the place), chance to turn into a fetish when struck, etc. etc. Please let there be fun stuff like this in the game!
Reply Quote
12/08/2011 05:05 PMPosted by Aegis
Seven-sided strike cooldown is eliminated, but you now have the chance to strike allies.

Pretty sure pro-hostile players will enjoy spamming that on people in town
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]