Diablo® III

Inferno Party Strategy

First off, I should mention that while I'll be using the terms "Tank" and "Healer", I'm not suggesting that we use the WoW model of group dynamics.

My basic theory is that there are 5 roles, which must be fulfilled for a party to be successful in Inferno difficulty. This will probably be useful in the lower difficulties as well, but I don't expect it to be as necessary.

The Roles:
Tank: No matter what you do, the enemies are going to get attacks off on you. The tank is the person designed to take this punishment without being killed instantly. The most important aspects for a Tank are to keep enemies from attacking their allies, and to take as little damage from enemy attacks as possible.

Healer: Since it's unavoidable that someone will take damage from attacks, someone also needs to restore that damage to keep them from falling over before the fight ends. The Healer is assigned the important job of keeping their allies alive, through healing and other damage prevention methods.

Control: No matter how well you mitigate and heal incoming damage, nothing beats not getting hit in the first place. The Control character should use every method available to disrupt the movement and attacks of the enemy, to keep them locked down and not killing you.

AoE: Large groups of small enemies will put a huge strain on all of your teammates, and must be dealt with efficiently. An AoE character has the ability to deal large amounts of damage to an entire group of monsters at once.

Striker: In any group of monsters, there will always be one that is the most dangerous. Taking such a monster out of the fight will make things a lot easier for the rest of the team.

As you may have noticed already, there are more roles than there are character slots in a team game. This is because most character will fill multiple roles. For example, consider the following party:

Barbarian: Tank, Control
Monk: Striker, Healer
Sorceress: AoE, Striker
Witch Doctor: Control, Tank

In this group, each character takes two roles. The Barbarian is built to take punishment, but also to control the enemy with stuns and knockback. The Monk is built for single-target damage to take out specific mobs, and also has a good deal of healing abilities. The Sorceress is focused completely on damage, both single-target and AoE. The Witch Doctor uses his minions to keep the pressure off of his allies, and various wall and slow effects to keep the enemy from moving how it wants to.

An important note here is that just because I have AoE and single-target DPS labeled as roles, that's not to say that those are the only people doing damage. This is built with the assumption that everyone will be dealing damage to the enemy in some form, it's just that you specifically need someone who can focus on dealing a lot of damage efficiently to both groups of enemies and priority targets. Also note that this is designed with a "standard" encounter in mind. You may well need to value some roles over the rest in certain situations, for example a boss that hits too hard to tank, and doesn't have any adds to AoE.
Reply Quote
The monk has great support spells too. It might be good to add that in especially since most classes will have some sort of sustainability that the monk's support abilities could be more useful.

Please ignore Namq, he is simply an upset forum troll and doesn't want to think about team synergies since it is very unlikely he has any friends to play with.
Edited by Servedogg on 10/31/2011 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
You need a:
Striker
Striker
Striker
and
Striker
Healing can be accomplished through health globes, especially since everyone gets their own loot. The theory of Diablo (in one and 2 anyway) was kill it before it could kill you. I see no problem continuing this theory, and will be disappointed if Blizzard tries to enact a tank healer mechanic to the game similar to MMOs
Reply Quote
You need a:
Striker
Striker
Striker
and
Striker
Healing can be accomplished through health globes, especially since everyone gets their own loot. The theory of Diablo (in one and 2 anyway) was kill it before it could kill you. I see no problem continuing this theory, and will be disappointed if Blizzard tries to enact a tank healer mechanic to the game similar to MMOs

Blizzard doesn't have to implement anything, its already in the game. If I find that by stacking hp items and soaking up damage I can clear content easier with my friends, then I will definitely do that. That may not be the case, but there will definitely be team synergies that work better than others.

Also, in D1 and D2 strategy wasn't really necessary because it was possible to outlevel, outgear, and outclass the enemies so easily that it was rather mindless. They have said Inferno will be much much harder, so hopefully it will require a little more thought than right click on each enemy on the screen once or fire off one spell and watch the entire room die.
Edited by Servedogg on 10/31/2011 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/31/2011 05:19 PMPosted by Namq
Please ignore Namq, he is simply an upset forum troll and doesn't want to think about team synergies since it is very unlikely he has any friends to play with.

Feed my fame baby~

Oh and I don't worry about team synergies cause it'll never happen in Diablo 3. So all you WoW kiddos can keep dreaming :)

You're right. CC is for baddies. Just spam electrocute to victory.

Yes, you are famous for your useless posts. Grats. I'm jelly.
Reply Quote
IMO barb and monk will be a must for inferno because of warcries and mantras

After that it doesn't really matter what your other two slots are as they can all pretty much fit whatever you need them to fit
Reply Quote
screw that, i'm only playing demon hunter, it's the only assassin type class.
so yea, alredy don't agree w u :P

*sips orphan tears*
Edited by Ryft on 10/31/2011 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
They say that inferno will be hard F@#$ hard and stuff, but still solo-able, sooooo, go for it, but i don`t see why,

if u are good u are good, and u can bet inferno by yourself period!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Your paradigm is very similar to the D&D 4e system, which is I think is a useful thing to look at because it has (in my mind) clearly informed many of the choices they've made with D3.

The 4e system is divided Defender, Leader (healer/buffer), Striker, and Controller (debuffing/AoE/area denial). Similar to D3 everyone is DPS at some level, with much of the healing coming from either self-heals or offensive attacks with secondary healing effects. There are build exceptions to that (you can build a pure healer out of a Pacifist Cleric), and every class has some degree of secondary role.

The similarities go even further since no role is mandatory at the most basic level. A party with no Defender isn't inherently doomed, but it is able to handle certain types of encounters with more grace. Ditto for the other roles, though Striker feels almost mandatory because the greatest risk is running out of gas.

With that in mind I'd almost want to go for a similar tactic with a D3 group, offloading Control to everyone if only because it would make the individual characters' games more manageable than assuming that someone else is there to take care of it for you. Same, to a degree, with healing. The Monk has a lot of group healing, but I'm not sure about the viability of Monk as a near-dedicated healer if only because of the practical limitations of spirit generation and monitoring your group in terms of delivering on-demand healing. Certainly a group-healing focused Monk would be a great team player, but I doubt it will be to a degree where the rest of the party will be able to neglect self-heals, orbs, lifesteal, and such.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 10:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i think the best group dynamic me and my friends will go for are the most moves that allow a buff to go to other members after you do your own killing. been a couple weeks since i looked at skills but there were several for each class that once you did dmg you would give a buff to others around you. those will be the best skills to use for a group, not specifically "pulling" all the mobs to a "tank" cause that tank if going to get his !@# handed to him in inferno. i cant speak from experience but i have a feeling any "tank" moves you see on the barb that call npcs towards you are meant for aoe stun/aoe dmg. which i think will be sweet if you get the other three members to have aoe abilities and the barb "taunts" to group them up and everyone aoes.

meh who knows theres going to be a ton of viable builds, prolly a ton of optimal ones too, to this game =)
Reply Quote
You need a:
Striker
Striker
Striker
and
Striker

Would this not contradict Blizzard every attempt to make as many viable builds as possible? So long as your 4 strikers and other combinations are close enough to equal to each other I only see value in having more viable groups. I despise WOW, but what this system should have that WOW doesn't is variety and if 4 strikers is the only viable way through Inferno I'm not seeing where all the hard work has gone in creating the new skill system. So props to OP, though probably a waste of time to build your groups this early it will be fun to experiment with the possibilities come release.
Reply Quote
22 Worgen Warrior
Look this is not an MMO where you have the traditional roles of tank, healer and dps. Beside the tank mechanic is contrite, You have a boss in a game like WoW that has been trying to kill the tank for five minutes. But this intelligent boss of an enemy faction is too stupid to see he cannot kill the tank. Because there is a healer keeping him and everyone else alive. What did that boss take some idiot pills.

The same idiot pills that some politicians in Washington have been taking for decades. I hardly believe that, so since this game is not WoW and we have health potions and globes we do not need the traditional setup.
Reply Quote
Look this is not an MMO where you have the traditional roles of tank, healer and dps. Beside the tank mechanic is contrite, You have a boss in a game like WoW that has been trying to kill the tank for five minutes. But this intelligent boss of an enemy faction is too stupid to see he cannot kill the tank. Because there is a healer keeping him and everyone else alive. What did that boss take some idiot pills.

The same idiot pills that some politicians in Washington have been taking for decades. I hardly believe that, so since this game is not WoW and we have health potions and globes we do not need the traditional setup.

surely you won't have the traditional healer either, dps based but with a healing focus to many of its skills. It wont be as sickeningly monotonous as WOW but builds like these will exist in different forms. (cross builds potentially? Healertanks or something like a tankrunner that gets a creatures attention and tries to lure it away with movement abilities and midranged attacks. Obviously tank/DPS would be one but a DPS focused Barb could really benefit from some form of healer partner)
Reply Quote
The group I posted was just an example of how a specific group could work, you could build a group with the same classes but completely mix up the roles.

And yeah, there are a lot of similarities here to 4E, which is a good example of how this kind of system works in practice.

Also, here's an example of what the party could look like:

Barbarian (Tank/Control): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#cbdSXg!gfW!cZYcYa
Monk (Striker/Healer): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#icdXfR!fUd!cZaYbb
Witch Doctor (Tank/Control): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#kYcjhb!XVc!YccaYa
Wizard (Striker/AoE): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ajliZb!cUg!bZYbca

Just remember that this is only one example. The Monk could also easily be a Tank or Control character, for example.
Edited by AgentPaper on 10/31/2011 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If designated roles like that become even remotely necessary in this game, at any difficulty, I will be really disappointed.

Here is the party mix that I hope will be necessary for success in Inferno difficulty:

1, 2, 3, or 4 of: player who has taken time to acquire good gear, knows his or her skills well, can deal out loads of damage, and can keep himself or herself alive.

Class should be irrelevant, and archetypes like "tank", "healer", "CC" even more so.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]