Diablo® III

Inferno Isn't going to work as intended

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
umm if act 1 and act 4 mobs will be the same lvl their mechanics and spell use will be equally as hard... there for if u go to den of evil or a dungeon in act 4 the champs and rares will be equally as hard making ur theory dumb.... go back to school
People seem to forget that the rares and champs are what are going to be dropping the best loot. They all have random mods.

A magic resistant cursed lightning enchanted extra fast zombie pack would be pretty hard to fight in D2 if they had a mlvl of 90 or so.
85 Undead Warlock
I think that your assumption that *inferno isn't going to work as intended* as well as farming *easier mobs* is incorrect. I know that at blizzcon jay said that loot is accessible, based upon what difficulty you are playing, throughout the whole entire act. I have faith in blizzard I think that they are making it so that you can only get certain items IN certain acts, as well as getting items only from certain bosses. I know they said they wanted to stop the farming a boss 50 times for one piece but there will still be certain items u can only get from rares and bosses. I'm assuming it would be smarter for blizzard to only make it so that you can access certain items from certain acts and bosses. This would ensure you don't farm all of the *easy* acts for easy loot. Either that or they will make the drop rate even lower based upon the act that you are in for certain legendary weapons and such. At blizzcon Jay said that you only get 30% of items in normal mode. This doesn't mean you can get all of them just by farming act one. they could have put 5% of the items in act one of normal, 5% of the items in act two, 5% of the items in act three, and 15% of the items in act four. This in turn means that the 15% in the final act is the percent chance that you have of getting a legendary weapon. This in turn would mean that you would have a better chance at getting that legendary weapon by farming the harder act four. These are just some assumptions im making but common man, HAVE SOME FAITH IN BLIZZARD
wrong
Like this one... It has been said over and over by the game designers that all monsters will be level 61 none below none above.

Maybe you should actually listen instead of thinking you are an all mighty know it all!

lol
OP it don't matter man, you will die when you leave ACT1 town anyways :P
just because act 1 is easier in normal-hell doesnt mean act1 will be easier in inferno sir, theyve said it themselves, more mechanics are added to the earlier acts and everything has roughly the same amount of things they do thru each act.

also, the mobs placements are randomized, not just the instances and special trails, sometimes that cave u want to go in wont even be there(possibly), not to mention having the same monsters in it
Edited by Honor on 10/27/2011 3:17 PM PDT
10/26/2011 11:08 AMPosted by Cheesy
So will players farm the easiest place? Or the place with the most rare and unique monsters? You claim both in the OP, but who thinks they will actually be the same place?

Its not going to be a same place you want to optimize:

Minimize difficulty
Maximize rares

This will be based off of characters.

I completely agree with you. The optimal place could very well change with the different classes, and certainly with the skill level of the person doing the farming...
The only penalty for not finding items is going to pvp. You cant get jack squash from pvping. If you play diablo 3 and do not pvp you will find nice items.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
how is that so? im pretty sure all D2 was, considering i played it since 3 months after the orig was released. was just farming mephisto and diablo in orig d2, and then in LoD, mephisto, diablo and baal on Hmode.
I see your point.

But Blizzard said that they're going to keep balancing this to avoid an Inferno Place be better than others.
So probably they wil make the bosses worth something too
It seems very strange to me that someone would acknowledge that a part of the game is more fun but still say there's no reason to play that part...

But! I guess that notion isn't strange to some people. In any case, I don't see that as a problem on the game's part.
But theres only so much you can do to make a slow zombie difficult.

- Crank up his speed
- Crank up his life up (proportional to his level) and put him in crowded areas where you can't run, getting the player into tight spots
- Spawn him in an extra-fast, teleport boss pack
- Remove/reduce his AI response time, remove pauses from his movement routine (make him perfectly chase the player like a heat seeking missile)
- Give him a poison spit attack on cooldown that the player has to avoid or take massive damage over time
- Make them pop out of the ground very close to the player with little delay on going after them
- Make him zig-zag, left 4 dead style versus ranged heroes
- Greatly reduce crowd control (stuns,roots,slows,freezes,etc.) amounts/durations versus slow zombies
- Give him a lunge attack with randomized timing/range
- Whatever else a super successful game development team can think of...

Only.

sure act I monsters will have the same level as act 4 monsters BUT they have much easier mechanics so people will do runs on them.

This is a conjecture which has already been proven wrong by Blizzard's own statements. Act 1-3 monsters will have more abilities/mechanics and will pounce more aggressively than they did in norm/nm/hell. This is part of the act/difficulty equalization that they have performed on inferno.
Edited by SavageRaver on 10/28/2011 2:17 PM PDT
Community Manager
10/26/2011 10:53 AMPosted by Cheesy
So blizzard is trying to encourage us to do more randomized content. If I want to kill bosses to get my loot shouldn't I be able to? Why penalize players who want to run bosses as well as random content why not make everything equal?

The purpose is devaluing boss runs, not making them pointless. I guess you could make the argument that anything beyond what is most efficient is pointless, which isn't totally wrong, but there's still plenty of grey area.

Bosses have fixed locations, and fixed mechanics, these two basic truths mean for very formulaic gameplay. Formulaic gameplay leads to formulaic builds to best take advantage of them, and as much as some individuals might like the repetition, we don't believe they're healthy for what we intend to be a diverse character landscape.

Character and build diversity is not only built by the mechanics and systems that create a build, but also what challenges those builds face that make them viable or not viable. You can have an awesome character customization system with tons of complex systems that feed into infinite character customization, but it doesn't mean anything if the content that the character is facing doesn't challenge it and validate the choices that were made.

Rares and champions tend to have either partially or completely randomized locations and affixes. We believe that making it less of a formula, and using the Diablo-centric randomness to drive the end-game gameplay as well as item drops, it will mean for a more compelling and diverse experience, which is simply going to be more interesting for more players. We expect that a huge chunk of people that buy Diablo III will never make it to Inferno, but that doesn't mean we should punish the people who do with boring and repetitive avenues for acquiring drops. The formulaic nature of bosses will ensure that they are the goal for item runs unless we devalue them, and so that's what we're going to try out.

I will also say that we don't think Inferno is the end-all solution to creating an exciting end-game. We're pretty sure it will be a great improvement, and excellent first step, but it's still quite a ways away from a true end-game content solution. We hope to be able to share some of the other thoughts we have post-release.
Edited by Bashiok on 10/28/2011 2:21 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Heh, I doubt there even is such a beast as a "true end-game content solution". After 5+ years of WoW though I can say with a great deal of conviction that running the same formulaic bosses over and over gets old fast. >_>
10/28/2011 02:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
So blizzard is trying to encourage us to do more randomized content. If I want to kill bosses to get my loot shouldn't I be able to? Why penalize players who want to run bosses as well as random content why not make everything equal?

The purpose is devaluing boss runs, not making them pointless. I guess you could make the argument that anything beyond what is most efficient is pointless, which isn't totally wrong, but there's still plenty of grey area.

Bosses have fixed locations, and fixed mechanics, these two basic truths mean for very formulaic gameplay. Formulaic gameplay leads to formulaic builds to best take advantage of them, and as much as some individuals might like the repetition, we don't believe they're healthy for what we intend to be a diverse character landscape.

Character and build diversity is not only built by the mechanics and systems that create a build, but also what challenges those builds face that make them viable or not viable. You can have an awesome character customization system with tons of complex systems that feed into infinite character customization, but it doesn't mean anything if the content that the character is facing doesn't challenge it and validate the choices that were made.

Rares and champions tend to have either partially or completely randomized locations and affixes. We believe that making it less of a formula, and using the Diablo-centric randomness to drive the end-game gameplay as well as item drops, it will mean for a more compelling and diverse experience, which is simply going to be more interesting for more players. We expect that a huge chunk of people that buy Diablo III will never make it to Inferno, but that doesn't mean we should punish the people who do with boring and repetitive avenues for acquiring drops. The formulaic nature of bosses will ensure that they are the goal for item runs unless we devalue them, and so that's what we're going to try out.

I will also say that we don't think Inferno is the end-all solution to creating an exciting end-game. We're pretty sure it will be a great improvement, and excellent first step, but it's still quite a ways away from a true end-game content solution. We hope to be able to share some of the other thoughts we have post-release.

Bashiok I had a solution I thought was applicable to both the player and Blizzard, to maximize random playthrough, as well as not adding any complicated programming solutions by Blizzard to implement it. Check out my previous post in my history.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]