Diablo® III

Impale Changed

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3530363469

From the Current Known Issues thread got updated today:

"Impale has been given a new graphical effect. It is now a thrown knife instead of a bow shot."

Interesting, can't wait to check it out when the server comes back up!
Reply Quote
I don't see what the difference is. You must be using a ranged weapon to use it, the damage is still the same, and nothing about it has changed except the graphic.

Anybody else get why it was changed?

Wait, if it has a travel time, I'm going to be pissed.
Reply Quote
I don't see what the difference is. You must be using a ranged weapon to use it, the damage is still the same, and nothing about it has changed except the graphic.

Anybody else get why it was changed?

Wait, if it has a travel time, I'm going to be pissed.

Besides graphic change and most likely has travel time now...

I also have a feeling they intend for it to be usable with any weapon because they included this statement:

"Impale requires a bow to be used even though it is no longer a bow skill."

Giving the melee demon hunters another option lol?
Reply Quote
Impale was already awesome. I don't get why it was changed. Really, if I wanted to use a single target attack with a travel time, I'd use the inferior Rapid Fire. I like my single target skills to just get there immediately.

Really, it's a nerf to a skill that doesn't look like it needs one.
Reply Quote
I do not like the new impale at all........
Reply Quote
Impale seems to give you hatred even if you don't hit anything; seems odd to me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
You guys are such crying babies
Reply Quote
Just tried it out in Beta. Yes, it has a travel time now. You throw a little shiny thing that has dagger silhouettes trailing it. It looks stupid. To make it worse, when it collides with a target a purple glowing orb type thing appears on the mob. It looks like a spell hitting them, not a physical skill let alone a dagger.

This has to be the worst mechanic AND animation change I've seen in a long time, easily the worst I have encountered in Diablo 3.

Seriously, what was wrong with shooting my bow with excessive force like in the last animation? I don't understand anything about these changes.

Whats cool about running around throwing a dagger as a bow using class? And purple glowly orb things? Its a knife Blizzard, not an arcane orb.
Reply Quote
11/05/2011 03:58 AMPosted by Orpheus
To make it worse, when it collides with a target a purple glowing orb type thing appears on the mob.

The purple explosion thing is placeholder art, it won't be there at release.
Reply Quote
11/05/2011 12:34 AMPosted by Weesheng
Apparently, the beta build is already outdated and the internal build now has hungering arrow and impale back where they used to be

Good. Impale as an exploding throwing knife with a travel time sucks even to just exlain it in text. I'm glad they've changed it back.
Reply Quote
I think I'd be "okay" with the Patch 5 version of Impale if...

a - It didn't require a ranged weapon to be equipped in order to be used. (Option for Melee DH builds)

b - Instead of purple-magic-bubble-gum burst on hit, if it sprayed blood or something a bit more physical and less elemental.

"Impale" just seems to be the wrong word for the ability, as it stands in Patch 5. I'd recommend renaming it to "Shuriken" if the current graphic choice is to stand. The word "Impale" reminds me of a spear skewering a target or the D2 Amazon ability involving a large piercing object thrust through the target.
Reply Quote
dont know the new impale doesnt feel a skill of a bower class. It feel like a rush patch for the old impale that...now that i think of..it was better... or at least looked better. The new animation feels odd...like you are running around with the bow...the bow dissapears...and you throw a knife.....mmm doesnt feel good to me. Why not making it a bow animation i dont get it. Even more, with impale being now (probably) the most played hatred generator, running around with a knife doesnt feel like the class they thought in the first place. i have to admit that i liked when hungering arrow was a hatred generator , but i can see the overpowered factor.
I guess i want a real cool animation/skill as main hatred generator. NOT a knife.

i also agree that impale seems the wrong word for the skill now.

pd: sry for my english
Edited by StellArtois on 11/6/2011 8:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
a - It didn't require a ranged weapon to be equipped in order to be used. (Option for Melee DH builds)

This is in the current known issues and will be fixed.

11/06/2011 07:59 AMPosted by Arkethos
b - Instead of purple-magic-bubble-gum burst on hit, if it sprayed blood or something a bit more physical and less elemental.

Like I said earlier, that is just placeholder art, it will be changed.

Even more, with impale being now (probably) the most played hatred generator, running around with a knife doesnt feel like the class they thought in the first place. i have to admit the i liked when hungering arrow was a hatred generator , but i can see the overpowered factor.

Bashiok posted this:

Thanks! Keep in mind that we're playing around a lot with Hatred generation/spending. Overall we like it, but some of the numbers are just off - especially in the beta. The nature of testing and deploying an update just means the build you're playing on is already a few weeks old.

For example on the current internal version Impale costs 25 Hatred and does 275% weapon damage, and Hungering arrow is a generator.

We'll try to share those types of things when we can.
Reply Quote
Bashiok posted this:

[quote]Thanks! Keep in mind that we're playing around a lot with Hatred generation/spending. Overall we like it, but some of the numbers are just off - especially in the beta. The nature of testing and deploying an update just means the build you're playing on is already a few weeks old.

For example on the current internal version Impale costs 25 Hatred and does 275% weapon damage, and Hungering arrow is a generator.

We'll try to share those types of things when we can.

I know they are still playing with the skills. What i wanted to say is that, for a bower class to be throwing knife as a main skills feels odd to me...i would like a bow animation.
Reply Quote
I actually like the idea of the DH having a skill that involves throwing a knife or knives in a different manner than FoK, but it definitely should not have replaced the existing Impale. I feel a more fitting knife-throwing skill would have involved throwing it by the tip, causing it to spin during flight.

Shadow magic or not, I don't see how throwing a knife like you would a dart could truly impale anything, let alone do more damage that a projectile propelled from a bow or crossbow. Probably just a matter of semantics at this point, but the name of the skill might as well change right along with its visuals, if nothing else.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]