Diablo® III

Request: Melee ability for the Witch Doctor

Not a whole new ability, of course, but just a rune for one of the existing abilities, that turns it into a melee attack. I've been fooling around in the beta using a big 2-handed sword and summons to help keep the pressure off me, and I've found it to be a lot of fun. Feels sorta like a "beastmaster" build, where you're up there with your pets.

There's a surprisingly large amount of support for this kind of build already, but when trying to make a end-game build, I realized that a major issue is that there isn't actually any melee ability for the WD right now. I ended up having to just take various support/defensive spells, which leaves me with using a basic attack for my bread and butter.

I don't know exactly which rune for which ability would make for a good place for this ability, but the ability itself would ideally interact with your summons somehow, though I don't know how that could really work out without feeling forced.
Reply Quote
To implement what you are asking for, ie: changing an existing ability with a rune to give it a melee attack, then you have to sacrifice something in return.

For example, if Spirit Barrage with an Indigo rune is what was chosen to be the melee attack, then you have to give up Spirit Barrage's current Indigo effect, which is launching 3 additional spirit bolts at nearby enemies.

If they want to give WD's a melee skill, it needs to be a brand new skill IMO.
Reply Quote
In my builds I might want to do a white hit once in awhile if I go OOM or want to conserve mana, but I'm worried that there may not be enough buttons. Is there a way to keybind your melee attack to an 8th button (in addition to your 6 skills and potion)?
Reply Quote
A new skill would require all new assets for the skill itself plus 5 runes. Making one rune effect for one skill would only require a single new set of graphics, and much less development time.

It's true that this would require nixing another rune effect, but there's so many of those, surely there's at least a couple that aren't being used as much as the others, which could be replaced fairly easily.
Reply Quote
11/06/2011 05:26 AMPosted by Casm
For example, if Spirit Barrage with an Indigo rune is what was chosen to be the melee attack, then you have to give up Spirit Barrage's current Indigo effect, which is launching 3 additional spirit bolts at nearby enemies.
Reply Quote
you can still do melee attacks you have to turn of the skill category restrictions, then put a skill you already have equipped into the wrong category for it, and the old slot will default to ‘attack’.
Reply Quote
Or just drag a skill off your action bar and it will turn into normal attack. There's no point though since it just does your base damage and you may as well use a ranged skill which also scales off weapon damage.

I would like to see some support for a melee doctor as well, but won't hold my breath.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]