Diablo® III

AoE Monk Build

90 Tauren Druid
Thoughts?

Mantra
Mantra of Evasion: All allies within 40 yards gain a 30% chance to dodge attacks
Crimson Runestone: Dodging an attack deals 90% weapon damage as fire damage to nearby enemies

Spirit Generators
Exploding Palm: Generates 6 spirit per attack. First two strikes deal 100% weapon damage, third strike deals 65% weapon damage per second for three seconds. If the target dies while bleeding, it explodes for 40% of its maximum health as physical damage to nearby enemies.
Alabaster Runestone: Causes the target to burn for 80% weapon damage as fire damage every second for three seconds. If a target dies while burning it explodes, causing all nearby enemies to burn for 70% weapon damage as fire damage every second for two seconds. This effect can chain.

Sweeping Wind: Generates 6 spirit per attack. First two strikes deal 100% weapon damage, third strike creates a stacking vortex that deals 20% weapon damage per stack to all enemies within 10 yards for five seconds, up to three stacks.
Crimson Runestone: Vortexes deal 35% weapon damage per stack.

Spirit Spenders
Lashing Tail Kick: Costs 30 spirit, 3 second cooldown. Knocks enemies back and deals 180% weapon damage.
Alabaster Runestone: Enemies are stunned for 2.2 seconds instead of being knocked back.

Breath of Heaven: Costs 25 spirit. Heals all allies within 12 yards for X.
Obsidian Runestone: Increases all damage by 20% for 24 seconds after BoH is used.

Seven-Sided Strike: Costs 50 spirit, 30 second cooldown. Dash rapidly between nearby enemies 7 times, dealing 130% weapon damage with each strike.
Alabaster Runestone: Each strike deals 53-60 holy damage to nearby enemies.

Passives
Sixth Sense: Your chance to dodge is increased by 50% of your chance to crit.

Transcendence: Each point of spirit spent heals you for X life.

The Guardian's Path: While dual-wielding, you gain a 10% chance to dodge. While using a two-handed weapon, your spirit generation is increased by 20%

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bUhYXj!WYZ!ZaZaca

Transcendence and Breath of Life have X values because the new patch notes didn't provide numbers for me to use.
Edited by Patchwork on 11/4/2011 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you're going with an AoE build why choose sweeping wind instead of crippling wave? Pop an Alabaster Rune in there and boost the rest of your AoE by 50%.

50% is a huge number, not to mention keeping Sweeping Wind at full stacks with such a short up time (5 seconds) seems like a HUGE pain in the !@#.

Also, why choose Seven-Sided Strike? By definition this gets worse with more targets because you don't increase the number of strikes per target, you just get seven attacks divided by the number of targets.

For a dodge based AoE build I'd try something like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUdXkb!ZWY!aYcccZ

Notable differences are: The inclusion of Dashing Strike (with an Obsidian Runestone for 21% increased dodge chance afterward). Dashing Strike has two major advantages in this build - the first is that it majorly increases your chance to dodge and activate the rune in your Mantra of Evasion. (For that reason I would personally also take Fists of Thunder and rune it for the dodge increase on use instead of Exploding Palm, but the example build I chose has Exploding Palm in case you're attached to it.)

The second and less obvious advantage is positioning - you can use Dashing Strike to make sure you're always in the best place to hit the largest number of targets. People make a big deal about how important Dashing Strike is, but I think they oversell it - it's not mandatory for every build, that having been said, with the 21% increased chance to dodge I just couldn't justify not keeping it in an AoE / Evasion stacking build such as this one.

My inclination is that I may replace (in my build) Breath of Heaven with Lashing Tail Kick (with a crimson rune for the ability to hit all nearby enemies with it rather than just those in front of me), but it really depends on survivability. I think the huge chance to dodge and transcendance will do the trick for the most part though.

And finally Wave of Light was taken expressly because it scales up with multiple targets, unlike Seven-Sided Strike.

Also worth noting: I would want to be using a two handed weapon for this build even though The Guardian's Path would give me more dodge while DWing. The main reason being to make the backlash when I dodge count for more and to up my AoE significantly.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I was thinking of using Seven-Sided strike because of the aoe off of each attack. I don't have any context by which to judge how significant 53-60 damage is or how it scales, but numerical values aside I figured 7 aoes going off in close proximity to each other is still a heavy hit. Of course, that also depends on the range of each aoe: if it's so small that it doesn't reach nearby enemies, then the whole ability is useless to me.

I completely agree with the Sweeping Wind -> Crippling Wave change, though. Keeping up that vortex was something that had me worried, and the 50% damage boost seems like a pretty good replacement.

I think I'll replace Lashing Tail Kick with Dashing Strike, since I just don't like the knockback, and the added dodge is delicious.

Fists of Thunder vs. Exploding Palm is another good point, but I think I want the chain explosion effect more than the 12.5% dodge... although actual play with the build would be nice in making that decision. I see you used the Indigo Runestone instead of the Alabaster Runestone. What was your reason for that?
Reply Quote

I see you used the Indigo Runestone instead of the Alabaster Runestone. What was your reason for that?

The only real reason is that I think it would be annoying waiting for the dot to kill an enemy and explode it. Since I'm so AoE focused I expect mobs to go down fairly quickly. I can't say for sure without playing the game, but my feeling is the combination of ramp up time (getting to the third hit of the combo) plus waiting for the dot to kill the enemy is just too much time spent waiting in a game as fast paced as Diablo 3.

On the other hand, I can get a little more immediate gratification out of the indigo rune by just hitting up to five targets with the dot whenever I do the third strike.

Essentially, if I kill any enemies before the first enemy explodes, I feel like I'm wasting damage, with the indigo rune at least I just get a pretty good spread of AoE and don't have to worry about the possibility of wasted damage.

It's a pretty minor nit-pick, I know - just a playstyle thing for me.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Does the enemy have to die to the dot to explode? The way I was reading it, anything that killed it during those 3 seconds would trigger the bomb. On the other hand, having 5 bombs running at once could have a lovely effect if one of the bombs goes off and triggers the others.

I think I like your way of doing it, here.
Reply Quote
Its a nice build. Lots of dodge so its great on survival when you're surrounded. Only thing I would change is Sweeping Wind to a more direct striking skill like Way of the hundred fist or something. Remember you can combo off any of the two skills but the 3rd hit is where its at.

1. Exploding palm + alab rune should constantly stack to maximize the aoe dot effect, meaning you wouldn't spam exploding palm and sweeping strike together. Both skills + runes you have are stackable. So a stronger skill to 1,2 hit then finish 3rd hit with palm would be better. Way of the hundred fist has 135% all across the board, so I would replace it with that. Add that 8 to 16 hit rune to increase direct damage.

2. Having a strong direct striker skill on hand to maximize dmg on strong rare mob, bosses would be better too. You wouldn't want to you use finishing hit of palm or wind on a boss. It wouldn't deal much dmg.

Other than that, its a nice setup.
Reply Quote
Does the enemy have to die to the dot to explode? The way I was reading it, anything that killed it during those 3 seconds would trigger the bomb. On the other hand, having 5 bombs running at once could have a lovely effect if one of the bombs goes off and triggers the others.

I think I like your way of doing it, here.

The way I read it is the enemy has to die while afflicted by the dot. A lot of it really is preference though, so while I prefer the five dots there's nothing wrong with choosing a different rune.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]