Diablo® III

PvP Monk - The All Around

PvP Monk - The All Around

Hi guys, I was toying with the Monk spells and came up with a build that will possibly make the monk a good partner to have in arena.

My first thought was that a monk should be full support-like but I found out that it's possible to make him quite tanky/dps and at the same time viable for support. Preferably you'd be with either a Barbarian or a Demon hunter as partner, depending on which you get you should twink a bit the build but it would mainly stay the same.

Here is the link to the build you'd use with a Barbarian: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ijXSRe!Vge!cZccba

and here is the other build you'd use with a Demon Hunter: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ijXSRe!Vge!cZccZa

Basically the only thing that change is the rune you choose for Mantra of Conviction.

Active Skills:

Way of the Hundred Fists: This is your main damage skills and spirit generator. You spam it as long as your target is snared. I took Obsidian Runestone in this case for 1 reason; you're partner should be the first one to get them snared, a barb has various gap closer and a demon hunter has a few ranged ability to slow their target down.

You could always use a Crismon Runestone for the dash you gain on your first hit and the DoT. But I'm not sure if the DoT would keep refreshing or still tick, like the old ignite in WoW(Yeah I know the reference sucks but that's my best exemple)

Seven Sided Strike: You pressurized one target and can't kill it because of their partners? Seven Sided Strike big burst and gap closer, giving you the opportunity to change target at any given moment(10seconds cooldown). I'm taking the Crismon Runestone for greater damage and the teleport instead of dashing.

Breath of Heaven: Yo dawg a heal. Obsidian Runestone for the increases damage.

Serenity: Immunity is just... too good. Also taking Obsidian Runestone for the longer duration but you could also use Indigo/Golden Runestone.

Mantra of Conviction: Giving more damage to your partner is still supporting and also if you use it right before going all out you get double increases damage. All the Runestone are viable here, I think this would also depend on who/what you're playing with.

Crippling Wave: This is your snare, it's only 4.5s so you need to use it wisely,. 5 hits of this then spam your Way of the Hundred Fists and then use it again to refresh the slow, this would be in my opinion the best way to maximize the slow effect. Using Alabastar Runestone to give even more damage.

Passive Skills:

Pacifism: Getting less damage while CC'd is always a good thing especially when you're a melee.

One with Everything: This would give you more chance to survive agaisn't a Witch Doctor or a Wizard considering the various style of damage they do you'll get a good amount of surviability

Combination Strike: You have 2 of them that you should be spamming, might as well get a bit of damage since you're already supporting that much. You still want to deal damage no matter what.

So here it is, give me some feedback.
Reply Quote
Some little change i would make on your build.

First if you choose Crippling Wave, i would prefer to go for Obsidian runestone since when you try to slow rangers they'll just try to get further away of you (which they are really good at) and counter with some damage moves. Thus, you'll receive elss damage from their counter and it will give you more time to finish them.

Remember, going full damage has its disadvantages: you'll die faster.

If i would be playing with a DH, i would be using Inner Sanctum over Serenity since DH are weak versus melee but are really good versus ranged.

As for yourself, you'll only have big dmg coming from DH since you have One with everything (WD and Wizards will hate us).

Also, for your MoC (Mantra of convistion) You shouldn't increase its base since it makes the 3 sec boost kinda useless, which is good in itself for when you do your big dmg dealers.

You should focus it either to reduce damage done by ennemies (which is the best part of a monk since the monk cant absorb damage like the barb) because the biggest threat to a monk is a barb or to reduce movement speed for a better close up versus ranged. Your choice.
Reply Quote
I dont see the monk has the guy who is gonna push the pressure on ennemies. I see it more like someone which makes life easier for it ally and gives wide opportunities to it.

E.g. Seven sided strike is quite good to push the pressure on someone but you can't rely on it as YOUR pressure move. Honestly, i would not even use it in pvp.

Here is the build i would go with a DH:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#iefZdR!VgY!cccbba

I kept WotHF like you did, pretty neat since you'll surely be critting alot (maybe?) and Crippling wave is like i said. I'd prefer to be a pain to people i hit than being the danger they need to focus on. Thats where Inner Sanctum comes in play. If they go to the DH i'll dash strike to him/them and drop the inner sanctum which will heal me for +/- 2500 atst with the passive skill. Like you i did took the less dmg taken when charmed stunned or feared (stunned for barbs munch munch) and One with everything where i'll need to get one resistance only and ill have the same resist for all.
Reply Quote
As for a teaming with a Barb i would be using this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#icSTYR!VgY!YZZccc

I changed WotHF rune to Indigo for the increased dmg.
I took Deadly reach over crippling wave simply because its going to be the damage dealer i'll be using has a third move for the increased damage that stacks to 30% FOR 11 seconds (which is actually the best for the timer on it)

I took serenity for dire times, immune for 3 sec plus a big heal.

Tempest rush since it can be used in 2 ways, either to reduce incoming damage and/or slowing ennemies a bit like the previous Crippling Wave although the reduce damage doesnt need to be close to yoour target to be in effect.

Lashing Tailk Kick improved to hand of Ytar simply because 2 melee will be kited and since its a range ''spell'' which slows, it will simply be useful.

As for the MoC, used to increase the pressure on people and also can help to reduce theirs.
Reply Quote
here is my build : http://eu.battle.net/d3/fr/calculator/monk#aUYdSR!YXa!YcabcY

fist of thunder : each target you hit will take damage if you attack an other player, useful with "exploding palm (crimson rune)" they have both 7 sec duration effect.

lashing tail kick: a stun
dashing strik: a move ability (a must have)
serenity: heal and def
mantra of conviction: daze

passive: resolve: useful against barbs and monk (and pets?)
seize the initiative : my gemmes will all be "attack" to gain the def bonus
transcendance: heal is good

someone posted on youtube a pvp monk video from last blizzcon, he said the only problem is that monk is lacking on spirit regeneration.
i'll maybe try a regen build pvp.

(sry for my english if its a little bad(hello from France^^)).
Edited by Warx on 11/11/2011 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
I dont see the monk has the guy who is gonna push the pressure on ennemies. I see it more like someone which makes life easier for it ally and gives wide opportunities to it.

E.g. Seven sided strike is quite good to push the pressure on someone but you can't rely on it as YOUR pressure move. Honestly, i would not even use it in pvp.

You missed the whole point of the build.
Reply Quote
Here is my version of a pvp build that includes both damage and support
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ieXSYR!cUX!Zcabac
let me know what you think
Reply Quote
Here is my version of a pvp build that includes both damage and support
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ieXSYR!cUX!Zcabac
let me know what you think

I'd drop Guiding light for Pacifism or One with everything but that's a good build imo.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I know the OP was talking about a support build but I'm surprised almost no ones choosing Seven Sided Strike.
Its my understanding that during SST you cant really be hit by normal attacks, so I'd prefer it over Serenity. Its an offencive ability with defencive properities. kind of like Mantra of Conviction with Alabaster rune. Only less supprotive and more in-your-faceive.

Here's my build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ejdZYR!gYV!ccYbaa
I had a hard time choosing between LTK or BoH but I doubt i'd have excess spirit for spamming heals anyway.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]