Diablo® III

Diablo 3 LAN (not an offline mode QQ)

86 Human Rogue
11/15/2011 03:06 PMPosted by Honor
another reason why i think friend games and invite only games should have a chooseable higher player cap of the normal gameplay modes (also chooseable mutual hostile type or not)... imo

I agree, but that's a separate discussion.
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
bump. If we're going to be pigeonholed into online only, I'd at least like to get a blue in here soothing my fears of having large group games crippled by bandwidth issues. Not necessarily by doing what I was posting about, but at least let me know it's been thought about
Reply Quote
If you don't understand that the B.Net server would need the data of the other 3 players there's literally nothing we can do about it.

/facepalm
Reply Quote
Your best bet is going to be testing it yourself when the game comes out. Blizzard isn't going to respond to a post like this because there are too many variables that are out of their control. IE. distance from data server, connection routes, packet loss, your ISP throttling. There is just too much that they can't change, as for your program idea, it might work, but they would have to recode everything in the network structure that they already have in place. Not sure it'd be worth it to them.

I have seen posts like this in WoW's tech forum for years. Never once does Blizzard try to help beyond the normal checking to see if you connect (ping) to the servers. Other than that, it's usually stated to deal with your ISP instead of them.
Reply Quote
If you have a 20mb connection, then game bandwidth wasn't the problem. 20 could handle more then 10 people no problem. Much more likely issues:

* Your internet modem/router/switch isn't very good.
* One or more of your friends were doing extra downloading on the side, like torrenting on your connection that chewed up all your bandwidth and overloaded the number of simultaneous connections your router can handle with everything else going on.
* Comcast is shaping your connection or lowering the priority of your traffic.
Reply Quote
Too long to read everything.

Blizzard would of already optimised as much as they can with some packets already being multicast from the server. I spose all they would need to do is multicast any packets sent to multiple locations and for the most part that's probably already done.

You've no idea about the current system, you've no idea what changes to make. This thread is pure speculation and going to serve no purpose. Blizzard will not be making major changes to the network code at this point. There's a long phase of design and testing and to change a critical system could potentially put them far behind.

If you have broadband a lan will be fine with D3 regardless.
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
11/21/2011 06:18 PMPosted by ZiN
Too long to read everything.<br /><br />Blizzard would of already optimised as much as they can with some packets already being multicast from the server. I spose all they would need to do is multicast any packets sent to multiple locations and for the most part that's probably already done.<br /><br />You've no idea about the current system, you've no idea what changes to make. This thread is pure speculation and going to serve no purpose. Blizzard will not be making major changes to the network code at this point. There's a long phase of design and testing and to change a critical system could potentially put them far behind.<br /><br />If you have broadband a lan will be fine with D3 regardless.

are you criticizing a purely hypothetical thread?

on the diablo 3 forums?

...for real?

No, I have no idea what the new system will be like. However, blizzard has made zero mention of a system to ease the strain on a bunch of people playing the same game in the same room, and given what I experienced a few weeks ago, this is suddenly concerning to me.

also, I've mentioned it like 4 times already, but I'll mention it again. I'm already paying 59 per month for just the internet, the next step up in our comcast plan is 99/mo for just the internet. not "just 10 dollars more"

and to address some other posts made before yours.

If you don't understand that the B.Net server would need the data of the other 3 players there's literally nothing we can do about it.

/facepalm

way to not read like, any of the posts

/facepalm

here, I'll paraphrase what you're missing. The outgoing data can't really be trimmed down, but the incoming data can be trimmed down by a lot. I understand your impulsive urge to not read posts before you set out to prove how much better you are than everyone else with a post, but please try and throttle that urge for now
Reply Quote
The outgoing data can't really be trimmed down, but the incoming data can be trimmed down by a lot. I understand your impulsive urge to not read posts before you set out to prove how much better you are than everyone else with a post, but please try and throttle that urge for now

You're getting what? 3 Mbps upload speed without anything else running? How about the bandwidth on that? HURRRRRRRRRR DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Reply Quote
Here's a better !@#$ing idea. Make your own servers complete with all the equal amount of game data, conduct the experiment, then let us know. Otherwise, lol.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 1:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
11/22/2011 11:01 AMPosted by Oggromun
You're getting what? 3 Mbps upload speed without anything else running? How about the bandwidth on that? HURRRRRRRRRR DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

actually it's around 20mbps. With a bunch of people all in the same room, that only stretches so far though, and currently I've seen no posts where blizzard discusses the possibility of a ton of people all playing in the same room together. and please, I know the truth hurts, but try to hide how mad you are when you make posts.

I'm trying to have a discussion here, but discussions tend to get bogged down if people like you start screaming in all caps as a substitute for logic.

The only difference I see in LAN compared to online only is that you only need 1 copy to play LAN...

If that's not what you're asking for then what the hell are you whining about...

that is not even remotely what I'm talking about. Not the same ballpark, not even the same game. Try again.
Edited by Anaphylaxis on 11/22/2011 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
ITT: People who think they know stuff about networks.
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
11/22/2011 11:07 AMPosted by KrazyTrumpet

ITT: people with fragile egos looking for easy threads to drop clever one-liners in to feel better about themselves.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
11/22/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Jacka
that is not even remotely what I'm talking about. Not the same ballpark, not even the same game. Try again.

So you're asking them to downgrade their servers to the same garbage they had for Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 where players host their own servers and lag everybody else in the game?

you could actually read the post, instead of making wild guesses. You're even farther off the mark this time.
Edited by Anaphylaxis on 11/22/2011 11:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
11/22/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Jacka
That's all I need to ready baby, you are asking for the garbage hosting system from SC1 and WC3.

the only way you could connect to battle.net by lan proxy using a single client was through an illegal program that would let multiple people with illegitimate games (and therefore, no battle.net accounts) all play on an official battle.net game by funneling through a single person on their LAN who did have a legit version of the game.

you have no idea what you're actually talking about, do you?

edit - you know what? all the relevant information is already in this thread. I'll just keep my posts to a simple "correct"/"wrong". I don't feel like wasting my breath repeating myself for the sake of someone who didn't read the post to begin with
Edited by Anaphylaxis on 11/22/2011 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/22/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Anaphylaxis
<br /><br />ITT: people with fragile egos looking for easy threads to drop clever one-liners in to feel better about themselves.

Jesus, did I touch a nerve or something?
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
11/22/2011 11:24 AMPosted by KrazyTrumpet
Jesus, did I touch a nerve or something?

I just call it as I see it. Should I be seeing your post in a different way?
Edited by Anaphylaxis on 11/22/2011 11:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]