Diablo® III

PvP spec vs Melee

Here's my take on a PvP spec tailored specifically towards melee enemies. Critique always welcome.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UXZSjR!YWV!ccbZZa

Ability Breakdown:
-Exploding Palm (Obsidian): I assume if it's a melee trying to take you down he won't be kiting you, which means it would be fairly easy to stack the Obsidian rune to 5. 50% increased damage should burn through them even if they have high defenses.
-Breath of Heaven (Obsidian): Low spirit cost, moderate heal with Transcendence, and 20% extra damage for 8 seconds after casting makes this useful for both offense and defense.
-Blinding Flash (Golden): Depending on if the Golden rune only increases the blind, or if it increases both the blind and the chance to miss, it would be useful to debuff your enemy with a 7 second long 30% chance to miss. Used defensively with a low spirit cost.
-Serenity (Crimson): Here's your oh **** button. From what I've heard, level 60s have around 10k health so this is almost like a pally bubble + lay on hands on a 60 second cooldown.
-Seven Sided Strike (Crimson): Big burst damage. This is your main spirit spender and should be used off cooldown when spirit permits it.
-Mantra of Conviction (Alabaster): Here's where you turn the fight in your favor. You deal more damage, they deal less damage.

Passives:
-Transcendence: Very nice passive heals every time you use spirit. Just a little napkin math: it accounts for about a 40% increase of healing done by BoH. Also, BoH (non-Indigo) + Transcendence should heal for more than BoH (Indigo) with no Transcendence. At 80 spirit per SSS, it'll heal for about 25% of your health (almost as much as one BoH). Again this is assuming lvl 60 has 10k health.
-Sixth Sense: More passive avoidance for melee classes.
-Pacifism: Discourages your enemies from using CC on you (like Barb stuns).

Key takeaways:
-Lots of damage increases and damage decreases should give you the upper hand. I'm not sure if they stack additively, multiplicatively, or overwrite each other but assuming the worst case scenario (larger buffs/debuffs overwriting lesser ones) you're looking at: 50% extra damage taken by enemy with 30% less damage dealt by enemy + passive avoidance.
-It supports my interpretation of the Monk's strength, which is to outlast his opponent through self-heals while whittling them down with buffs and debuffs.

Let me know what you guys think, what you would change, and why.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
What are you going to do when i kite your life away with my dh ...you have no abilities to close the gap in your build making you extremely weak vs ranged...this includes dh and casters..just a suggestion...replace one of those abilities with tempest rush...throwing that in there will still keep you extremely strong vs melee and devestating to casters ..just a thought =)
Reply Quote
11/15/2011 07:36 AMPosted by Terrorboss
What are you going to do when i kite your life away with my dh ...you have no abilities to close the gap in your build making you extremely weak vs ranged...this includes dh and casters..just a suggestion...replace one of those abilities with tempest rush...throwing that in there will still keep you extremely strong vs melee and devestating to casters ..just a thought =)

Read the Title. it clearly says ''Pvp specc VS MELEE"

He is giving us his pvp specc versus MELEE and not ranged.

Do not try to hybrid is build. He clearly said versus melee.
Edited by DominiEra on 11/15/2011 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/15/2011 07:36 AMPosted by Terrorboss

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595569582
Reply Quote
Going back to the topic at hand,

Also, if you want something to reduce ennemy damage done, i would recommend you change Sixth Sense for Resolve and changing MoC obsidian (mantra of conviction) to a golden rune or you could go for CW:Obsidian (crippling wave).

As for me, if i play versus a melee i would prefer to use a hit and run strategy WotHF:Crimson for a short teleport in and tempest rush to run away while reducing damage taken by 50%. I'd use LTK (Lashing Tail Kick) with Alabaster for a stun.
Deadly reach would always be my third strike. Running a bit away then striking, teleporting in again with WothHF:crimson.
Also, MoR (Mantra of retribution) with obsidian rune could be useful versus a melee atackers which has a high % to be stunned whenever he attacks you directly (70%).

I'd use the classic serenity crimson for 3 sec immune and a 10k heal, a life-saver.

As for passives, I would use transcendance which gives 381,6 hp per second while tempest rush is active and 954 health when using LTK.
Resolve would help reduce incoming damage.
And Pacifism for situation where i<m being feared, stunned , charmed.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#icTSYV!YaV!ZZcZac
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]