Diablo® III

A checkbox for PvP games

Why can't there be a check box and warning box for player hosted games that enable PvP? There is no argument for this not to exist, being as the game isn't based around PvP, but the option could be available to those who choose.
Edited by Faceitall on 11/18/2011 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why can't you search the forums for the dozens of threads that have already discussed this exact idea?
Reply Quote
why can't you just be satisfied with arenas?
Edited by Kakey on 11/18/2011 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 12:23 PMPosted by MortQ
Why can't you search the forums for the dozens of threads that have already discussed this exact idea?

He's one of the ones who has made most of those.
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 12:25 PMPosted by Faceitall
How does this harm anyone?

Opportunity cost.

By wasting time and resources adding lame Open World PvP to the Campaign tab, you take time and resources away from making interesting PvP Gamemodes to the Versus tab.
Edited by MortQ on 11/18/2011 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 12:26 PMPosted by Faceitall
Because world PvP adds absolutely nothing to the game.
<br /><br />It adds a tremendous amount of fun for competitive players, who would rather not stare at the Auction House tab all day.

If it's competitive PVP you're looking for, then you would be happy with the arena. I don't buy that if you're looking for competitive PVP you would rather join a game, harass someone into flagging pvp, or flag pvp in town and go hunt them down while they're questing rather than join a place where you compete with players your own level who are looking for the same thing.

The whole open world pvp is all about trying to cause grief to those questing.
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 12:26 PMPosted by Faceitall
Because world PvP adds absolutely nothing to the game.
It adds a tremendous amount of fun for competitive players, who would rather not stare at the Auction House tab all day.

Nice try, but world PvP is more or less the opposite of competitive. Competition implies a kind of contest. Something for a person to be able to win, and definitively say "I am a better player."

World PvP has nothing of the sort. Dueling and arenas have a lot more competition to them. Both of which are things D3 is slated to have. I'm a highly competitive player, myself, and I feel that world PvP adds nothing to the game.

Generalizing players who don't want to have open world PvP like this is not going to win you any arguments.

Regardless, I have little against the idea of an opt in for open PvP. As long as it truly is an opt in. However, I have the feeling that it would lead to a lot of QQ, when people who want to gank other players end up finding that very few people enable PvP in their games. Regardless, as long as PvP is not forced on those who don't want it, I'm all for an opt in.
Reply Quote
Well said, Nekora
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Agreed.

There is nothing about World PvP that can't be improved on with a dedicated Versus PvP Gamemode. It offers nothing extra save the ability to cause others grief.

Reply Quote
11/18/2011 12:50 PMPosted by Faceitall
World PvP would offer many different pvp scenarios not available in arena, such a 1v2, 1v3, ffa, or multiple team battles. Arena is very limiting, also consider that it is riddled with pillars, while the open world has every possible environment.

How do you know that there is only ONE arena environment? There may be many. And I also find this complaint funny because, honestly, most duels and other such things happend in only one place in D2. Outside the rogue encampment. Not much variety there.

Further, nothing about arena limits you from having all of those different PvP scenarios. I will bet that we will see unranked arena battles with FFA, premade teams, lopsided teams, and many other options, after release. You are saying out of hand that Arena is limiting, by putting artificial restrictions on arenas.

I would bet money that there will be a good way for people to PvP in almost any way they want, eventually, as long as everyone agrees to it. The only thing that won't be coming back is griefing and the hunting down of players while they are playing a normal game.
Reply Quote
There was so-called world PvP in Diablo 2, and yet the vast majority of PvP happened in an environment far more boring than any arena.

Further, Jay Wilson has already brought up the fact that he would like to support all these styles of play, and gave ideas for how it might happen. He just warned that it probably will not make it for release. So yes, it's speculative, but very likely.

And you are still using this straw man claim that arenas are all the same. There may be many varied arena maps. IIRC, someone has data mined several different arena maps out of the D3 beta client. I also find your complaints about pillars strange too. Would you rather have the boring flat areas that D2 offered? A couple obstacles in a PvP map are a good thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]