Diablo® III

pvp modes and rewards

85 Draenei Paladin
Yes i know I come off as anti pvp.. but .. really i am not .

I Have played several games where pvp was a big part of the game .. but generally most players are "care bears" and prefer it in it's place and time ..Most people also prefer some type of reward for pvping.. and even if they arn't die hard pvpers ..if the rewards are good they will pvp.

so here we have D3 where at release ..Arena will have no rewards besides achievements. some people will play for fun.. some will play to get the achievements.

But i personally feel that it will not provide a long term pull for pvpers.. I know the game will not be an esport..But in many games it is the pvpers who spend the most money when they can. so if bliz want the rmah to be more successful .. adding better more interesting pvp modes with some kind of ranking system and some kind of rewards .. that push more people into useing them ..

lets say there is a devision system that works based not on total winns or losses but ..sya we start out at division 12 .. and to get to devision 11 i have to win a several games in a block of games.. and if i get to 11 and lose several games i move back down ..no permanent point system. so you are working your way up based off your skills and the luck of who you get matched against..

now with this system you are always open to teaming up with people who are close to your division .. so if you are in devision two and your fiughting someone and he is really good .. you can contact him after and team up with him to own if he thinks your good too ..and you can build teams fluidly ..and as you get into higher ranks the balance comes from everyone knowing how to use their skills and what works best.

as far as rewards go as you get into the more advanced ranks.. players can drop different kinds of loot randomly ..or games can give points that can be used to buy pve mats..runes and gems ..but not gear ..

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i know about no esport .. but there are ways to get competitive elements into the game without becoming an esport ..
Reply Quote
With currency and an auction house, anything tradeable can be converted into some fraction of anything else that is tradeable. So runes & gems = gear.

While I can see you have very good intentions, I don't see how they could justify awarding actual game items for PvP wins when there's no way to tell whether those wins were due to player skill, purchased gear, exploitation of unbalanced skills, or some mix of the three.
Reply Quote
some kind of "ranking" even without wins or losses recorded is necessary for the longevity and appeal of PvP, yes.
Reply Quote
The same problem exists with rankings. When wins can result from several factors unrelated to player skill, what does a ranking tell you about someone? Is this week's #1 player actually that good, or did he or she just buy gear and cheese his or her way to the top with well-known skill exploits? There will be no way to know, which makes the rankings somewhat meaningless.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
11/19/2011 09:45 AMPosted by Xanthippus
While I can see you have very good intentions, I don't see how they could justify awarding actual game items for PvP wins when there's no way to tell whether those wins were due to player skill, purchased gear, exploitation of unbalanced skills, or some mix of the three.

where does this differ from getting items from pve ..where you most people will be using a combination of all three factors and luck based of random drops.. and like pve a mode of pvp where as you get into harder content mean ..people with better skill/ better gear and more knowledge of not only their skil exploits.. but how to counter your skill exploits ..get more rewards.

After i posted this idea I thought.. what if this was a 4v4 but you could not preform teams .. so you are randomly matched with 3 other people and pitted against 4 other people randomly matched ..Such a system though chaotic ..will favor those who can quickly learn to work together. It would also somewhat discourage elitism.. as you might get into division 1 .. but you can be as likely to have the person your fighting against.. on your team the next round .. so being an a tard might work against you .

but again as you move up in divisions and you need more skill and willingness to co-operate ..the quality of the random drop increases ..
Reply Quote
I don't get it... these are exactly the kinds of features they said they will not implement.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
11/19/2011 12:09 PMPosted by Sleepcakez
The difference comes from the fact that Blizzard hasn't implemented this in the game, where getting rewarded from PvE is what the game is built upon.

right i am suggesting a possible system implemented after launch .. with a system that is random enough ,still quite imbalanced ..and with a lot of luck built in to progression.. so you can't really build an esport out of it .. but you can provide a competitive system with some rewards .. for the large chunk of the player base that wants it..

It is easy enough to balance it so the rewards don't come close to matching the rates of pve.. but its a system that gives people pellets to chew on .
Reply Quote
11/19/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Faceitall
Rewarding players with gear through PvP is a bad idea. Having a ranking system, tournaments, and possibly a ladder is a good idea. There should be no gear/item rewards from arena pvp, however there should be some sort of tournament or ranking system. They don't need to balance any of it, that will be totally fine. The PvP experience can then be separate from the game. Having arena with no rating or tournament system will render it boring quite quickly, and implementing rewards is not a solution either.

Will having rankings and ladders actually be meaningful to you when you can't tell who got to the top by being good at the game and who got there through purchased gear and cheesy skill combinations?

If they do add it, it won't hurt my experience any, so I'm not really against it. I just don't understand these requests. What will you get from a ranking list that doesn't actually tell you anything consistent about the people on it? I don't get it.
Reply Quote
I don't feel like PvP rewards fits Diablo games. In diablo 1 and 2 PvP divided into 2 parts, the first and the more obvious one was the act of PvP itself, and the other was building your character perfectly for PvP, and I feel like if you get PvP rewards for PvPing it would kill the latter.

That said though, letting hardcore players kill each other for the opponent's gear is perfectly fine.
Reply Quote
I really dont want rewards, just because PvP gear shouldnt be anywhere near as good as PvE gear, so then whats the point?

I want ranking, so you know when Batistab's in the room you lost already... maybe like banner Stuff would be cool, Money i'd take anytime... Gem's could be handy, oh and i'mma gunna need Runes. Just no "Items", Currency only if you add anything.

And we need world PvP like duels just so you can test builds.
Reply Quote
I personally am fully against any form of *reward* for pvping. Playing PvP with your friends is reward enough, I however would appreciate and love any form of ranking, stats, ladder etc for PvP.

Just as they put it at BlizzCon so I can say "i'm the ranked ## monk in the diablo world" =)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Will having rankings and ladders actually be meaningful to you when you can't tell who got to the top by being good at the game and who got there through purchased gear and cheesy skill combinations?

If they do add it, it won't hurt my experience any, so I'm not really against it. I just don't understand these requests. What will you get from a ranking list that doesn't actually tell you anything consistent about the people on it? I don't get it.

the arena system starting out will be pretty good .. but if that is the limit of pvp.. it will not last long if there is little reward..or point when everyone gets a trophy. there need to be some system that seperates people basedd on skill and efort put into gearing up..

I would stay away from a numbered ranking system when you have millions of players possibly in the game.. that would take the casual aspect of the game away..

the Division system I am proposing means that people only advanced based on how they get the mechanic of the game down..and how well they can learn to work with others ..if you are winning games you go into higher divisions.. untill you hit a points where your losing to much and getting knocked back.. as you increase in division you learn how to deal with the cheezy builds or the inbalanced play.

then there is the gear issue where past a certain point you will probably be dealing with only people who are able to buy gear off the rmah .. which is why i feel the need for drooping stuff of value you can sell ..to buy the gear you need to stay or get better.

Without a reward system for pvp the only people who can get to the top ..are those who spend a lot of money or those who farm inferno endlessly. this will be the problem with arena as it will be your gear that gets you into higher bracket.

With a dividion system that only takes into a small number of your previus matches for advancement or dropping back .. it works with both luck and skill.. luck in getting on good teams and what kind of team you face.. and skill enough to contribute to the team

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
we are talking about D3 a game where one of the biggest should nevers got thrown out ..

"people should never be allowed to pay real money for in game items"

fine the top tiers of pvp ..should be exclusive to those who can farm inferno a lot ..or pay for a full set of premium gear..

i will go back to telling the pvp guy's to shut up about wanting pvp in the main pve game
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]