Diablo® III

Another Gaming PC Build Thread(Budget Build)

Hi, i would like to build a Gaming pc for the lowest price possible. All id like is a decent Mobo and CPU, since all other part is an easy upgrade when i need to. i5 2500k would be my choice and Mobo... i don't really know anything about Mobo, just want a good Mobo compatible with i5 2500k. id like 8gb of ram. for the rest of the part, just want good performance at low cost.

If you wanna recommand something else instead of i5 2500k, go for it.

PS: i will probably buy the parts on black friday.

Thanks in Advance

Here is a list i found of components for sell. BTW, i live in canada.

http://promotions.newegg.ca/black-friday/11-3466/index.html?cm_sp=homepage_top-_-nepro/11-3684/internal-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.ca%2fnepro%2f11-3684%2finternal%2fhomepage_696x288.jpg
Edited by Raoul on 11/23/2011 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Motherboards - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68xp-ud3-dz68db,2980.html
Reply Quote
8gb of 1600 ram is the best bet right now, and you can get it for about $45 before MIR (kicking myself for picking up some 1333 @ $30) There's tons of mfgs who are making this right now.

Mobo, the AsRock z68 Pro3 or Gigabyte z68 UD3 or Asus p6z68 LE. The UD3 should be the best in terms of features / oc, with more pstates and usb 3.0 / sata III ports. The AsRock is the cheapest z68 board with decent reliability, and the asus has the best reliability as far as reputation goes.

Reply Quote
11/23/2011 03:38 PMPosted by Collateral
8gb of 1600 ram is the best bet right now, and you can get it for about $45 before MIR (kicking myself for picking up some 1333 @ $30) There's tons of mfgs who are making this right now. <br /><br />Mobo, the AsRock z68 Pro3 or Gigabyte z68 UD3 or Asus p6z68 LE. The UD3 should be the best in terms of features / oc, with more pstates and usb 3.0 / sata III ports. The AsRock is the cheapest z68 board with decent reliability, and the asus has the best reliability as far as reputation goes. <br /><br />

I heard next gen will be PCIe 3.0, will those mobo be compatible ?
Reply Quote
8gb of 1600 ram is the best bet right now, and you can get it for about $45 before MIR (kicking myself for picking up some 1333 @ $30) There's tons of mfgs who are making this right now. <br /><br />Mobo, the AsRock z68 Pro3 or Gigabyte z68 UD3 or Asus p6z68 LE. The UD3 should be the best in terms of features / oc, with more pstates and usb 3.0 / sata III ports. The AsRock is the cheapest z68 board with decent reliability, and the asus has the best reliability as far as reputation goes. <br /><br />
<br /><br />I heard next gen will be PCIe 3.0, will those mobo be compatible ?

idk about the specific ones listed, but some motherboards are "compatible" with pcie 3.0, but as there aare no actual video cards released under this standard, it is hard to say whether they will work correctly/well compared to the new intel chipset coming with ivy bridge in april-may timeframe.
Reply Quote
Any recomandation for power suply, 700W would do ? and what about GPU ?
Reply Quote
<br /><br />I heard next gen will be PCIe 3.0, will those mobo be compatible ?

I actually don't believe they are.

For PCIe 3.0 you will need a board with the Gen3 branding, I think, and they cost about $15 more. I'm always wary of these types of things though (untested tech) because often times they will require things like bios flashes which I generally don't like to do. Not sure if that will be the case with PCIe 3 though.

Boards that are PCIe 3.0 compatitible would be:
Asrock Pro3 Gen3
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
Asrock Extreme4 Gen3
Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3
MSI Z68A-GD65

The Pro3 Gen3 and the Extreme3 Gen3 are the only two reasonably priced boards (both @$114 right now). The other 3 are closer to 200.

Another thing to think about, whether it's worth the price hike is the fact that for PCIe 3.0 support, you will also need an Ivy Bridge processor as well as 3.0 support on the board. So I would suggest if you're looking to go PCIe 3.0 to either wait, or don't drop $230 on the 2500k cpu.
Reply Quote
Double posting because the edit code is stupid right now, and it eats line breaks.

As far as PSU goes, get a lower wattage high quality PSU rather than just looking for the highest Wattage for the money. Depending on how much "stuff" you have to plug in, you will probably be fine with a good 500w PSU.

I would google a psu calculator (I think jonnyguru has one), fill all that stuff out once you have your other components, and then look at the reccomended wattage.

IMO, running a sandy bridge on a low end board single GPU with 1 or 2 HD's and not many usb devices, anything over 500w is just tossing money down the drain.

For GPU, it depends on what you want to spend. Under $200 the GTX 560 is probably best, btu the HD6870 can be had cheaper for good performance as well. For over $200, I don't know but it's hard to go wrong with those cards. D3 will definitely not require ANY of this hardware even at obscenely high resolutions, if that matters to you.
Reply Quote
11/23/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Raoul
Any recomandation for power suply, 700W would do ? and what about GPU ?
I'm interested to know this as well. I'm running 650W and using GTX 560 Ti and am having some trouble with my computer freezing. I believe it could be my PS that's not enough. Any insight would be great.
Reply Quote
11/23/2011 04:37 PMPosted by Collateral
Double posting because the edit code is stupid right now, and it eats line breaks. <br /><br />As far as PSU goes, get a lower wattage high quality PSU rather than just looking for the highest Wattage for the money. Depending on how much "stuff" you have to plug in, you will probably be fine with a good 500w PSU. <br /><br />I would google a psu calculator (I think jonnyguru has one), fill all that stuff out once you have your other components, and then look at the reccomended wattage. <br /><br />IMO, running a sandy bridge on a low end board single GPU with 1 or 2 HD's and not many usb devices, anything over 500w is just tossing money down the drain. <br /><br />For GPU, it depends on what you want to spend. Under $200 the GTX 560 is probably best, btu the HD6870 can be had cheaper for good performance as well. For over $200, I don't know but it's hard to go wrong with those cards. D3 will definitely not require ANY of this hardware even at obscenely high resolutions, if that matters to you.

Ok, but i think il go with a 700W or 750W only incase i upgrade in the future. but i just need a card that would run D3 at max with a decent FPS, a GTX 560 would be overkill ?
Reply Quote
11/23/2011 04:51 PMPosted by Raoul
<br /><br />Ok, but i think il go with a 700W or 750W only incase i upgrade in the future. but i just need a card that would run D3 at max with a decent FPS, a GTX 560 would be overkill ?

I don't know about "overkill," I personally think it would be a good choice, particularly if you've got a 1080p monitor.

It will be more overboard to go with a 750 watt processor than it will to go with a 560 gtx.

In fact with a 2500k overclocked to 4.5 ghz, and a 560 gtx, 2 sticks of memory, and other regular stuff you'll only be using about 400 watts at max load, so you'd really only be reccomended ~500w.

Unless you plan on going SLI down the road or adding 3 more spinning HD's (which is silly, because SLI has its own microstutter problems), you might need a bigger psu, but unless you're getting an SLI board and then planning on ignoring SSD's in the future, you REALLY wont need a bigger PSU.

Also remember that going forward things tend to go down in power usage with fabs going smaller and smaller.

Regardless of psu size, you should go with a trusted brand. Antec Earthwatts, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ etc.
Reply Quote
this GPU will be 179 on black friday think it could be anygood ? there is no review on product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162085&cm_mmc=BF2011_Listing-_-48-_-N82E16814162085&nm_mc=BF2011_Listing
Reply Quote
Seems like a great value, esp if you can get the 40 dollar rebate making it $149.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]