Diablo® III

magic find imbalanced?

(Locked)

if you check out the item page, most items with MF are still pretty powerful. My blizz sorc in D2 had 400 mf and she could still solo mephisto with ease. players in D2 would make characters that are able to solo efficiently with high MF, I think it will be the same for D3
Should combine the D3 and D2 way:

1) Everyone gets their own loot (D3)
2) Loot drop quality dependent on the MF of whoever got the killing blow (D2)
not a fan of pooled loot myself .. more a fan of the mf/gf of the person who kills or does the most damage to a mob effects the loot it drops for everyone ..seems like the fairest system if there is no average mf over the group ..have like an mf/gf aura for the group that shows the average that gets applied to everyone

Also mentioned earlier in the thread... though this aura idea sounds a bit too complex.
Guys....Blizzard people have already stated in forums (I am not going to dig them up, you go find them) that monsters will TARGET people who stack MF in parties. So it will not be imbalanced. THis will force people to find new ways to cope with this as a party or just not stack mf gear and play the game.
100 Orc Shaman
Divideing mf doesnt solve much, if you add all the mf together and divide between players someone might be penelized still.
player1 has 200mf
player2 has 50mf
player3 has 100mf
player4 has 0mf making it 350mf/4players, 87.5 mf a player only helping the 2 that didnt gear for mf.
With shared mf you would see alot more solo play i think to avoid the lose in mf when this is meant to be a co op game. I dont wanna share my mf with someone who isnt gearing for it. maybe i kill just fine with the mf i have and now i get penelized for some min/maxer?

Also does anyone know how much killing power is even lost from getting gear with mf rather than straight killing stats? Theres nothing to prove that having high mf will make you worthless to a group. The shared mf seemed appealing to me at first but it works in reverse, where you have your smart players who balance there stats being penalized for the guy who went all killing power. its not fair either way

90 Draenei Paladin
11/28/2011 09:23 AMPosted by Snodog
But some people will use 2 mod items with 60 MF and one useless stat over 6 mod items with 40 MF even if the 5 other stats that are perfect for their hero. But you'd be fine with this from the way you talk.

Absolutely, I'd be perfectly fine with it, because the game is meant to be soloable. There is no "carrying dead weight" unless you're rushing a level 10 character or something like that. And like I said, if I find someone stupid enough to use a 2 affixes 60 MF vs a 6 affixes 40 MF item, i'll put them on ignore and make a new game, because they obviously have no business playing inferno difficulty.

I do not think that inferno will be a faceroll, in fact it cannot be a faceroll. If it is then Blizz lied to the players, they said that their goal is to have a game where casual players are turned into hardcore players. If it is a faceroll then how can Blizz say that inferno will not be for everyone. You are thinking D2, this is D3. Also if it is a faceroll then there will be bots galore after the first month. With the RMAH players will be making a killing botting their way to some serious money.

No inferno will not be a faceroll, you only assume it will because of D2 and what we have seen of the beta. Which is normal mode act 1, from the beginning to Skeleton King. So that is a very small piece of the game. In fact the devs even said at Blizzcon if it is easier than they thought it would be, then they would buff inferno. Also inferno the creatures are at level 61+, so we cannot out level the mobs like we did in D2.

It will be a faceroll for the players who know what to expect. If you walk into hell mode in D2 with negative resists and zero faster hit recovery, guess what's going to happen? Yeah, you're getting your rear end kicked by the act 1 fallen.

Now guess what happens with those players that farmed nightmare for resist gear (or +skills for casters) and are adequately geared? yup, they facerolled their way to victory. Sure, a fanat/extra strong monster here or there toughened things up a bit, that's what made it fun. But for the most part, the entire Inferno difficulty is nothing more than a gear check; either you're geared and you roflstomp the monsters, or you aren't, and they kill you before you can blink.

Keep in mind, most people are coming into this game thinking it's like World of Warcraft where you reach the endgame and a couple days later you're ready to take the hardest the game has to offer. Those people (understandably) will be the ones suffering through and getting the challenge Blizzard says we will all enjoy.

The Diablo veterans, on the other hand, know what to expect. You didn't walk into Diablo 1 Hell/Hell with less than awesome gear. You didn't do Hell Baal in D2 with negative resists, unless 7 other players were stomping things for you or you were a summon necro. I will absolutely try inferno as soon as I can reach it to test the waters. Once you figure that out, you know what you need to survive, and you roll over everything.

And the best part? MF has no bearing on how quickly or not you'll be able to kill things, even if you have mf in every single slot of gear.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
11/28/2011 11:20 AMPosted by Nemuraan
And the best part? MF has no bearing on how quickly or not you'll be able to kill things, even if you have mf in every single slot of gear.

The best items will have somewhere around 4-6 blue attributes.
If you use 1 of those per armor to MF, you lose quite a bit of either +Dmg +AttackSpeed +Crit +resistance and so forth.

You end up losing quite a bit in the long run actually.
100 Troll Druid
11/28/2011 11:26 AMPosted by Rainarya
<br /><br />The best items will have somewhere around 4-6 blue attributes.<br />If you use 1 of those per armor to MF, you lose quite a bit of either +Dmg +AttackSpeed +Crit +resistance and so forth.<br /><br />You end up losing quite a bit in the long run actually.
Only if it's coming at the expense of those and not a different "dead attribute" that would be taking its place. Would you rather the guy have +MF or +Run Speed?
MF stacked only gear, healing monk.
Magic find isn't balanced, but that isn't a bad thing, it's not like magic find was any balanced in Diablo 2, that game appeared to turn out just fine, in fact magic find was everyone's favorite attribute other than maybe seeing that +1 to all skills on your rings.

This game isn't about pvp, so a stat like magic find is perfectly viable for your gear, especially in a game where acquiring gear is the #2 priority (unless you actually believe that gear is more important than fun)

There is some degree of balance, which is trading magic find for combat effective stats, there is a magical mixture that goes on and it takes years to figure out the sweet spots for magic find, but you're still never quite sure about it, because some days you might not find anything, you'll lose hope. But all of the sudden you gamble 2 sojs in one trip and after cleaning up the mess you've made in your pants you go out and you find a Windforce, congrats, it's better than the one you're wearing.

Magic find isn't always the best option, it's not 100% better than every stat imaginable, I found myself in D2 starting to gear more toward killing in quantity and not quality, some times it's just better to use less magic find if it means killing mephistio in half the time, whereas other times you might just be able to "play better" and be just as effective with stacking more magic find.

Magic find is only useful if you can kill the monsters that drop the loot fast enough to be as effective as someone without magic find.
*sigh*
I feel MF has been such a huge part of D2 they should have it again in D3.
WoW guys this is not WoW... People who want to bring utility to a group will bring utility, and those who want to bring Mf will do it any way. I rember when mf was turned off because the Cow King mf glitch, a Skulders still cost a SOJ when its primary stat was rendered useless. <br /> Lets not bring the mentality we adopted in World of Warcraft to such a beloved game. Blizzard does one thing good consistently, and thats balancing. So lets leave the wtfs, and /rage quits at the door. I know more than any one how long we have all waited to ww the iconic Big D's face off once again.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
Edited by ToeCutter on 11/28/2011 1:37 PM PST
11/28/2011 01:24 PMPosted by ToeCutter
WoW guys this is not WoW... People who want to bring utility to a group will bring utility, and those who want to bring Mf will do it any way. I rember when mf was turned off because the Cow King mf glitch, a Skulders still cost a SOJ when its primary stat was rendered useless. Lets not bring the mentality

And those who bring MF gear into Inferno games will probably be kicked.
11/27/2011 04:04 PMPosted by KhaydarinXxX
person who contributes less gets the most loot?<br /><br />MF takes up potential item slots that could be +dmg or other useful stats. so the more magic find you have, the less utility and damage you are contributing, yet you get the most loot.<br /><br />isnt this inherently broken?<br /><br />i think magic find should be added up from all characters in the group and then divided by the number of players so everyone gets the same loots for their troubles

Apparently you have no clue how Diablo games work.... It's multiplayer by choice, and if someone doesn't feel your pulling your own weight they will simply leave, and/or not play with you.

Then you will be forced to play by yourself, at which point you'll either learn how to play with a handicap of "too much magic find" vs "epic stats" etc. Or you will sacrifice your precious magic find gear for other gear to adapt.

Just a heads up to all the future Diablo3 players who are planning to run strict "magic find". Only 30% of the possible items drop in regular difficulty. This means you will find most of the valuable gear in the later difficulties ie "nightmare, hell, and inferno". There's absolutely no way you'll be able to play in HELL or INFERNO with nothing but MAGIC FIND GEAR. So good luck to you!

The whole point in collecting magic find in the normal difficulty is to help you find the gear you will need for the later difficulties. Please do not speculate or guess how this game is going to work without doing some research first.
Community Manager
It's a recognized issue, just not one that has been attacked and a final design solution proposed/implemented.

We have short list of primary design values for Diablo III, and one of them is 'Do no harm to co-op.'

Whatever solution we end up at it cannot compromise the desire to play with others, either through literal disadvantages, to social situations that cause frustrations through griefing, mistrust, people 'pulling their own weight', etc.

Some of that we simply cannot control. It's an online game. You're going to end up in some undesirable situations no matter how hard we try, but we can at least try to minimize them to being inconsequential by ensuring the game mechanics do not allow inherent misuse at a detriment to the co-op experience.
11/28/2011 02:06 PMPosted by Bashiok
It's a recognized issue, just not one that has been attacked and a final design solution proposed/implemented.

What the hell? That's not possible! The game is finished already and you guys are *only* holding it back to destroy ToR in early January! That means you guys have to have already designed the MF system.

P.S. That was sarcasm
14 Human Rogue
11/28/2011 02:19 PMPosted by BazDefunct
<br /><br />What the hell? That's not possible! The game is finished already and you guys are *only* holding it back to destroy ToR in early January! That means you guys have to have already designed the MF system.<br /><br />P.S. That was sarcasm

The game very well could be finished. Any changes made could very easily be applied as a patch, which is something they've done several times before.

However, I doubt they are holding it back because of one game.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]