Diablo® III

Beta initial impressions

100 Blood Elf Mage
A friend of mine recently got a beta invite, and invited me over to have a go at it earlier today. I didn't do much extensive testing, but I do have a few comments about it. I decided to play a Demon Hunter, and mainly stuck to the main quest, doing only a handful of side dungeons. I got to level 8 before killing the Skeleton King.

First off, I love it, and I can't wait to get the game in my hands (still spamming refresh on my email and account settings page to see if I get an invite...). I agree that the beta was fairly easy, though I did get in one or two tight spots while playing, and I don't doubt that it'll get much more difficult later on.

I do have a few complaints, though. It seems I had some issues with targeting enemies for ranged attacks, a lot of times I'd try to click on an enemy to shoot it and end up clicking next to it. For melee classes this isn't too bad, but for a ranged class like the Demon Hunter, rushing up to melee instead of shooting isn't exactly good for my health. A few destructible objects had the same issue, most notably the ashes in and near the cathedral. Making the mouseover hitbox for some things a bit bigger would probably help.

Holding shift fixed that issue, but it meant reaching the number keys for using skills was a bit more difficult. I didn't take the time to change any settings, so I don't know if it's in the game or not (I'm assuming it is), but a way to remap the skill keys to something different (and closer to Shift) would be welcome. Also, I'd like to see more skill keys, so once I unlock all 6 slots I can put something on both a key and click and not have to leave out a skill or potion.

After I got a few pieces of gear, I wanted to check out how they looked on my character, but it's hard to see any detail when the camera's so far away. I know the character select screen has a better view of your character, but personally I'd like to be able to check my appearance in-game, possibly with something like WoW's dressing room feature. A way to just zoom in the camera, even if it stays at the same angle and just has a closer picture, would also be welcome.

My last issue is more character-specific. I like the Demon Hunter's Evasive Shot, but I found a few times where I'd have my back to a wall or object and fire at a nearby enemy, and my character would keep trying to backflip even though I wasn't going anywhere, sapping my Discipline. I'd really love to see a way to keep the backflip from happening if there's an obstacle directly behind the character, or perhaps a refund on the discipline if you don't move far enough with it.
Reply Quote
I like this post, balanced and constructive - I approve.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
jealous....maybe can post something constructive once jealousy passes
Reply Quote
After I got a few pieces of gear, I wanted to check out how they looked on my character, but it's hard to see any detail when the camera's so far away. I know the character select screen has a better view of your character, but personally I'd like to be able to check my appearance in-game, possibly with something like WoW's dressing room feature

You can zoom in on your character in game, I don't remember which key it is, but you can do it, unless they removed it for some odd reason.

My last issue is more character-specific. I like the Demon Hunter's Evasive Shot, but I found a few times where I'd have my back to a wall or object and fire at a nearby enemy, and my character would keep trying to backflip even though I wasn't going anywhere, sapping my Discipline.

You should unlock an ability at level 6 called Vault, you can use that to get over your enemies and away from the wall, then you can go back to using evasive fire when your back isn't to a wall anymore. As for the Demon Hunter I haven't tried it out yet so I haven't experienced the aiming yet, but from what you have said, a slightly larger aim box would probably be a good idea if it's too small of a target box.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/18/2011 06:48 PMPosted by Kai
You can zoom in on your character in game, I don't remember which key it is, but you can do it, unless they removed it for some odd reason.

If I'm not mistaken it's the "Z" key to zoom in on your character.
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 06:27 PMPosted by Sethala
It seems I had some issues with targeting enemies for ranged attacks, a lot of times I'd try to click on an enemy to shoot it and end up clicking next to it.

I played the DH myself and didn't really have a problem with aiming.

so once I unlock all 6 slots I can put something on both a key and click and not have to leave out a skill or potion.

You have 6 skill slots, and 2 more slots for your left and right click on the mouse. That's 8 slots total and seeing how you only get 6 skills to choose from I don't really see the need to more than that, unless they plan to release something equivalent to mana potions, but seeing as how each class has a different resource system it will be interesting how they deal with that.

but a way to remap the skill keys to something different (and closer to Shift) would be welcome

I do believe you can do that in the options.

A way to just zoom in the camera, even if it stays at the same angle and just has a closer picture, would also be welcome.

Z to zoom bro, unless you remapped your keys.

My last issue is more character-specific. I like the Demon Hunter's Evasive Shot, but I found a few times where I'd have my back to a wall or object and fire at a nearby enemy, and my character would keep trying to backflip even though I wasn't going anywhere, sapping my Discipline. I'd really love to see a way to keep the backflip from happening if there's an obstacle directly behind the character, or perhaps a refund on the discipline if you don't move far enough with it.

I had some problems with that, but honestly I think you should be positioning yourself so that you don't run into a wall, but it is going to be quite a problem if Blizzard decides to release narrow dungeons, like in Diablo 2's Act 2.

I do agree with you that the content so far is pretty awesome :)
Reply Quote
I would guess there is or will be the option to remap your 6 skills. As for holding the shift... that's definately the best way to go when you are ranged (same as in D2). Works well for things like WW too.

I would guess... that the mouse scroll is your zoom in and out? ...either that or the - / + ?
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 06:55 PMPosted by Stönechin
<br /><br />If I'm not mistaken it's the "Z" key to zoom in on your character.

Yes, it is the "z" key. Wondering if Blizz will add an option to see a 3d armory perspective of your toon in game, also allowing you to try on gear. Would be a nice touch to see what you "could" look like with that piece of gear that you aren't high enough level to wear, but high enough skill to craft or receive as a drop.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Hey, thanks for the input. I assumed there were a few things I missed, as I didn't take the time to go through the menus very much (being that I was playing on my friend's computer and didn't want to take overly long), but it's nice to see that most of my concerns aren't an issue.

One thing that I completely forgot to mention though, is that I would like to be able to read skill descriptions while in the field, even if I'm not at a Nephilim Stone. I understand (and completely agree with) the decision to only allow skill changes in certain areas, but it would be nice to be able to see what the new skill I just got does, since it tells me I got a new skill when I level up. (On a related note, I like that when you unlock a new skill slot, you can immediately pick a new skill to put in it, and I hope that stays for release.)

Another thing I thought of is, in D2 when you open another window, the game camera shifts over so that your character is centered in the now-reduced playing window, and I'd much prefer if that functionality is put in D3 (right now, when you open another window, your camera stays in the same position so your character is in the middle of your computer screen).

On a similar note, I'd like it if they added a way to turn on a "free-roaming" camera, so you could move around and look at a bit more of the game world. (If any of you have played League of Legends, something like that where you can toggle the camera being locked on your character.) This would necessitate a "fog of war" mechanic though, so you wouldn't be able to just scout the whole dungeon, so I understand if they don't want to add this in.

It is good to know there's a zoom feature in the game, I'll have to try that out next time I get a chance to play.

11/18/2011 06:57 PMPosted by Umaizou
You have 6 skill slots, and 2 more slots for your left and right click on the mouse. That's 8 slots total and seeing how you only get 6 skills to choose from I don't really see the need to more than that, unless they plan to release something equivalent to mana potions, but seeing as how each class has a different resource system it will be interesting how they deal with that.

You only have 5 skill slots, I think. 4 active skills and a health potion, other 2 on mouse, but if I want a certain skill on both key and mouse, I can't do it. It's a minor issue, but something I'd personally like to see changed.

11/18/2011 06:48 PMPosted by Kai
You should unlock an ability at level 6 called Vault, you can use that to get over your enemies and away from the wall, then you can go back to using evasive fire when your back isn't to a wall anymore. As for the Demon Hunter I haven't tried it out yet so I haven't experienced the aiming yet, but from what you have said, a slightly larger aim box would probably be a good idea if it's too small of a target box.

That's true, but A. I might want something other than Vault in my skills, which means that this isn't as much of a solution, and B. the issue isn't that I don't move at all, it's that I waste Discipline by attacking and don't get any benefit from it. Especially since I'm actually losing Discipline faster, since if I were moving back, I'd be further away and not backflip every attack, whereas if I'm stuck against a wall I'm trying to flip constantly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]